Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Systemic Ignorance

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Systemic Ignorance

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:29 pm

An example of systemic ignorance among the media...

During a news conference regarding the shooting of 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant by a Columbus Police Officer, a reporter asked the Chief if...
“Can an officer shoot the leg, can they shoot somewhere that would not result in a fatal wound?” asked an unidentified reporter at one point, after noting that observers have asked the same question.
WOW, just wow. How can an outlet assign someone so ignorant to cover a story such as this?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Re: Systemic Ignorance

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:32 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:29 pm

During a news conference regarding the shooting of 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant by a Columbus Police Officer, a reporter asked the Chief if...
“Can an officer shoot the leg, can they shoot somewhere that would not result in a fatal wound?” asked an unidentified reporter at one point, after noting that observers have asked the same question.
WOW, just wow. How can an outlet assign someone so ignorant to cover a story such as this?
Well what would happen if they attempted to incapacitate but not kill someone with a bullet?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:43 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:32 pm
Bryce wrote:

Well what would happen if they attempted to incapacitate but not kill someone with a bullet?
Sigh...

I will educate.

When a police officer uses his (oops sorry, I'm an antique) OR HER, firearm, it's sole purpose is to stop an imminent threat.

There are three problems with an attempt to shoot an arm or a leg or "shoot to wound." One, an arm or a leg presents a smaller target to hit and lessens the chances that the subject is hit and the threat is stopped. Two, in order to stop a imminent threat, not only do you have to hit the target, but it must incapacitate the target to immediately stop the threat. Arms and legs can and do kill, but not immediately. And three. If you start trying to hit arms and legs, there are going to be misses. The round will continue on until it hits something. That increases the danger to other people in and around the area. If you shoot for center mass, which is what we are trained to do, the round not only has a greater chance to immediately stop the threat, but greatly reduces the chance that the type of rounds carried will travel beyond its indented target.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:23 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:43 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:32 pm
Bryce wrote:

Sigh...

I will educate.

When a police officer uses his (oops sorry, I'm an antique) OR HER, firearm, it's sole purpose is to stop an imminent threat.

There are three problems with an attempt to shoot an arm or a leg or "shoot to wound." One, an arm or a leg presents a smaller target to hit and lessens the chances that the subject is hit and the threat is stopped. Two, in order to stop a imminent threat, not only do you have to hit the target, but it must incapacitate the target to immediately stop the threat. Arms and legs can and do kill, but not immediately. And three. If you start trying to hit arms and legs, there are going to be misses. The round will continue on until it hits something. That increases the danger to other people in and around the area. If you shoot for center mass, which is what we are trained to do, the round not only has a greater chance to immediately stop the threat, but greatly reduces the chance that the type of rounds carried will travel beyond its indented target.
Having zero experience with a gun nor any real live in person exposure to one makes one not know much about it. Thanks for the explanation.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:32 am

In fairness to Rate This a lot of people have little or no direct experience and Hollywood only confuses things by making TV shows and movies where "heroes" are incredible shots who can shoot a gun out of a hand from 100 feet away.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:54 am

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:32 am
In fairness to Rate This a lot of people have little or no direct experience and Hollywood only confuses things by making TV shows and movies where "heroes" are incredible shots who can shoot a gun out of a hand from 100 feet away.
Very well said.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:06 am

Point taken Craig and Mike. Sorry if I came off a little brusk Rate.

Here's a couple more examples of systemic ignorance....

https://twitter.com/ValerieJarrett/stat ... 74786?s=20
A Black teenage girl named Ma’Khia Bryant was killed because a police officer immediately decided to shoot her multiple times in order to break up a knife fight. Demand accountability. Fight for justice. #BlackLivesMatter.
Knife fight? Only one person had a knife. Wouldn't that be called a knife attack? I wonder if the parent of the Black girl that was about to be stabbed feels the same way as Valerie?

https://twitter.com/BreeNewsome/status/ ... 05281?s=20
DEFUND & ABOLISH POLICE, REFUND OUR COMMUNITIES
·
Apr 21
Teenagers have been having fights including fights involving knives for eons. We do not need police to address these situations by showing up to the scene & using a weapon against one of the teenagers. Y’all need help. I mean that sincerely.
Yup, kids will be kids. Kids have knife fights all the time. Ignore 911 calls about knife fights and let them be kids. A quip that Dan Aykroyd made to Jane Curtin on Weekend Update comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c91XUyg9iWM&t=66s

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 am

Speaking of ignorance regarding this particular case, have you all seen Lebron James' tweet, subsequent deletion of said tweet, and subsequent explanation for said deletion? Now THAT is pure ignorance if I've ever seen it. It also doesn't help that he literally has the grammar and spelling skills of a 6th grader.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:45 am

Sure did. He might want to stick to basketball.

https://www.outkick.com/nba-ratings-money/

This is more pathetic because attendance has been severely limited in the last twelve months. Add to it that many attractions nationwide are still closed or limited and for many, the best option is to watch TV to pass the time. And a growing number of those are choosing NOT to watch the NBA on TV.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 am
Speaking of ignorance regarding this particular case, have you all seen Lebron James' tweet, subsequent deletion of said tweet, and subsequent explanation for said deletion? Now THAT is pure ignorance if I've ever seen it. It also doesn't help that he literally has the grammar and spelling skills of a 6th grader.
Learn from the best... https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-t ... ng-peach-2

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:11 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:45 am
.... And a growing number of those are choosing NOT to watch the NBA on TV.
I don't think pro basketball is quite as popular with the general populace as the media thinks it is. Even before the pandemic.
I can understand sportscasters making a big deal of it. It's their job.

If sportscasters were to ask friends and families that are NOT in the business something like "Out of the Big 4 pro sports, which one do you care the least about,?", I think the answer may surprise them.

College hoops is a different story. Lots of folks are fond of that.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:30 pm

In my anecdotal observation the liberal "pals" on my Facebook feed don't seem overly excited about this shooting Columbus. It makes me hopeful that some of them see it as justified despite media headlines I might argue are designed to create "news" they can cover.
When I put my tinfoil hat on I think the media loves a good protest/riot.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:11 pm
If sportscasters were to ask friends and families that are NOT in the business something like "Out of the Big 4 pro sports, which one do you care the least about,?", I think the answer may surprise them.
Among the sports fans in the US, it's the NHL and it's not even close...
Last edited by Motown322 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:46 pm

I watched the video. She looked like a wild bull in a china shop. If that cop didn't put her down, she coulda did more damage than just taking one life.

Also, did you notice the dad kicking a child in the head in that video? There are some serious problems happening in the Black community. While so many people are saying that the Floyd trial was a "step forward", it seems to me as though it was a step backward.

The narrative has become that an upstanding citizen was murdered by racist police, that this is something that happens every day, and that FINALLY someone caught it on tape and was courageous enough to show it. The whole circus has taught a lesson to Black youths to pick your heroes based on how they died, not on how they lived. They are learning to select heroes based on victimhood status, which will only perpetuate the problems experienced in the black community where there is more dependence on government welfare and handouts than the sweat off their brow.

No one wants to be the one to say it, but George Floyd's life should not be celebrated, and it is harmful for the black community to celebrate it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:52 pm

Joy, you ignorant....

Joy Behar:
"He said the cop had no choice ... and my feeling is I don’t know if that’s true or not," Behar said. "I really can’t figure it out anymore. It seems to me ... in a situation ... I’ve looked at the tape and I still can’t figure it out. Shoot the gun in the air, warning, tase a person, shoot them in the leg, shoot them in the behind. Stop them somehow. But if the only solution is to kill a teenager, there’s something wrong with this."
Wow. Hey Joy. Shoot a gun into the air? Ever hear of Newton's Law? My God woman.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic