Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Covid rates soaring in Chile despite lockdowns and the world's highest vaccination rates

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Covid rates soaring in Chile despite lockdowns and the world's highest vaccination rates

Post by bmw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:52 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/covid-c ... llout.html

This article really beats around the bush before ultimately getting to the problem:
There have also been questions raised about vaccine efficacy, given Chile’s widespread use of CoronaVac, the coronavirus vaccine manufactured by Chinese firm Sinova...

A study published by the University of Chile earlier this month reported that CoronaVac was 56.5% effective two weeks after the second doses were administered in the country. Crucially, however, they also reported that one dose was only 3% effective.
My question is, why is ANYBODY taking a vaccine made in China? Are you kidding me? I hate to so much as buy electronics made in China, I can't even imagine taking a vaccine manufactured there. Those numbers are terrible and significantly worse than than natural immunity.

Rate This

Re: Covid rates soaring in Chile despite lockdowns and the world's highest vaccination rates

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:36 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:52 am
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/covid-c ... llout.html

This article really beats around the bush before ultimately getting to the problem:
There have also been questions raised about vaccine efficacy, given Chile’s widespread use of CoronaVac, the coronavirus vaccine manufactured by Chinese firm Sinova...

A study published by the University of Chile earlier this month reported that CoronaVac was 56.5% effective two weeks after the second doses were administered in the country. Crucially, however, they also reported that one dose was only 3% effective.
My question is, why is ANYBODY taking a vaccine made in China? Are you kidding me? I hate to so much as buy electronics made in China, I can't even imagine taking a vaccine manufactured there. Those numbers are terrible and significantly worse than than natural immunity.
Remember the vaccine is to lessen symptoms not make it impossible to get. So soaring Covid cases really aren’t as big of a deal under the circumstances.

bmw

Re: Covid rates soaring in Chile despite lockdowns and the world's highest vaccination rates

Post by bmw » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:51 am

The IMHE disagrees with your assessment, at least in Chile. These projections are extremely alarming as it pertains to upcoming deaths (and daily cases for that matter)

https://covid19.healthdata.org/chile?vi ... &tab=trend

Especially alarming is their hospital resource projections. 8900 ICU beds available with a projected need of 54,000 beds and climbing by late summer.

On a side-note - look at their observed mask-wearing rate. 94%. Lot of good that is doing, eh? Highest vaccination and mask-wearing rates in the world on top of lockdowns and yet their projections make last year look like a cakewalk.

On a second side-note - you are factually half wrong about the intent of a vaccine. While they're intended to lessen symptoms, they're still rate on efficacy which literally defines how much less likely you are to actually get the virus.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:03 pm

SinoVac is also the main vaccine being used in Brazil, which is currently the biggest hotspot in the world. I saw that Brazil alone accounted for over 25% of last week's COVID deaths worldwide and is losing people at a worse rate than the US at its worst. Knowing how badly developed the healthcare system is in Brazil, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up passing the US in total deaths by the end of the pandemic

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic