Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why we can't advance as a society

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Why we can't advance as a society

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:12 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 pm
IF you watch this till the end, it may give you some understanding as to why officers ratchet up a notch with uncooperative individuals....

For both you and bmw:
Does she walk or get time in the end? Is there enough there to warrant the charge?

Not looking to argue... genuinely curious as to your gut feeling...

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:46 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:28 am
craig11152 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:13 am
the guy was driving with expired tags and an outstanding warrant and somehow thought getting arrested was optional. If the guy complied with police he would be alive. And that is true for 99% of the few people killed by police.
AND the warrant was for an incident involving an illegal firearm.

Notice the absence of that information from most all of the news reports?

Excellent point regarding moving the subject to the rear of the automobile. Hugging the B pillar doesn't work so well once the person is out of the car.
It's actually worse that that too.

The original charge was armed robbery. He was out on bail for that one and then he violated the conditions of parole, one of which was possessing a firearm!! The revoked his bail because of that.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:50 pm

If history is any indication, she will PROBABLY be found not guilty. Only twice in the past 20 years has any police officer in this country been convicted of such a charge where weapon confusion was the defense. In 13 other cases, charges either weren't brought or when they were, the police walked free. In this particular case, I think there are enough significant mitigating factors in the officer's favor.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 am

As I mentioned earlier virtually all these rare cases where an unarmed citizen is killed start with noncompliance. That doesn't mean they deserved to die but it means illegal choices they made led to their death.
I could post links to hundreds of videos (Youtube and Tic Tok) from black men and women who would say the same. When you get pulled over do what the cop says and bad things don't happen beyond maybe a ticket.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:54 am

Frankly, I think the charge and arrest, along with the speed in which it was brought, was driven by the mob. An attempt to quell or lessen the "peaceful" rioting.

Lets take a look at the Minnesota statute regarding manslaughter in the second degree.
2020 Minnesota Statutes
609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

(2) by shooting another with a firearm or other dangerous weapon as a result of negligently believing the other to be a deer or other animal; or

(3) by setting a spring gun, pit fall, deadfall, snare, or other like dangerous weapon or device; or

(4) by negligently or intentionally permitting any animal, known by the person to have vicious propensities or to have caused great or substantial bodily harm in the past, to run uncontrolled off the owner's premises, or negligently failing to keep it properly confined; or

(5) by committing or attempting to commit a violation of section 609.378 (neglect or endangerment of a child), and murder in the first, second, or third degree is not committed thereby.

If proven by a preponderance of the evidence, it shall be an affirmative defense to criminal liability under clause (4) that the victim provoked the animal to cause the victim's death.
I believe the the prosecutors office is applying section 1 in this instance. I fail to see how section one fits Officer Potter's actions. I think it will be very hard to prove culpable negligence or creating an unreasonable risk in this instance. If there was an unreasonable risk created in this situation, it was Mr. Wright's failure to comply to lawful demands and attempting to enter his vehicle.

That said, it's not hard to imagine that night after night of rioting and agitation by Antifa types (Hennepin County Sheriff David Hutchinson said the majority of the people who have been arrested were not Brooklyn Center residents.) could intimidate a jury and the decision it makes. In this case, like many others, jury selection will have a lot to do with the outcome.

I will predict the same outcome I did in the Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown cases. The officer will be found not guilty yet have their life and career ruined by the mob and media.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:05 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am
A few questions come to mind. Most departments require a LTL to be carried on the opposite side of the firearm. This would require a cross draw for the LTL instead of a strong side draw for the firearm. For the short period of time I carried a LTL, I had it mounted on my tactical vest in the middle of my chest with my firearm on my belt. It isn't possible to tell where officer potter carried her LTL from the body cam footage. I would like to know exactly where she carried it and what the department policy is.
Couldn't remember where I read that post, but just ran across it again.

This might require a bit more investigating. It appears from the pic below (not sure how recent that is, or if anything's changed since), but it shows the officer and her taser on the left hip. In the video where she draws the gun, it appears to me she's right-handed. Where her taser is located looks (to me) like it would require a left hand to draw and use. She may well have trained on that, but it would seem like under duress where lives may be in danger that your body naturally would prefer your dominant hand. Perhaps if you're in a situation you can evaluate and make a decision to use LTL force, you can easily adapt to using your non-dominant hand to address the issue, but in split seconds none of that time is available to assess.
EDIT: I just noticed the other officer has it in the same exact position... wonder if that's a policy?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic