Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MLB pulls all-star game and draft out of Georgia over new voting laws

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: MLB pulls all-star game and draft out of Georgia over new voting laws

Post by Rate This » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:54 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:26 pm
So he’s trying to be Trump without the bizarre wording and exclamation points? At least he added the fig leaf about it being a private business. He’s shameless and just trying to score points.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 am

Rate This wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:54 pm
He’s shameless
IF shameless can be defined as "spot on," I agree
Rate This wrote:
and just trying to score points.
With whom?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:59 am

I think it is a legit question. Also what will the league to about the Braves? They are Georgia based...

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:07 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 am
Rate This wrote:
He’s shameless
IF shameless can be defined as "spot on," I agree
Rate This wrote:
and just trying to score points.
With whom?
He’s scoring points with the base. He’s has 2024 on the brain just like Cruz and especially Hawley and his false 1st amendment claims.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:33 am

Major League Baseball Supports Beer Drinking and Pot Smoking

Well, at least that would be the headline if the MSM treated them like a conservative.
Major League Baseball announced Monday that they plan to relocate the All-Star Game to Coors Field in Denver, Colorado, after caving to pressure from the political left and deciding to pull the game out of Georgia last week in response to Georgia’s election reform bill which sought to restore security and confidence in the state's elections.
I was in Denver last fall. The stadium wasn't the only thing that was a mile high.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 am

Even from a PR and economic standpoint, I just don't understand why professional sports leagues as of late insist on making political statements. Do they not get that the average person watching their games does so precisely to ESCAPE from the real world and from politics for a few hours? And baseball in particular has for decades been known as "America's pastime." How does this recent move help with that image?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 am
Even from a PR and economic standpoint, I just don't understand why professional sports leagues as of late insist on making political statements. Do they not get that the average person watching their games does so precisely to ESCAPE from the real world and from politics for a few hours? And baseball in particular has for decades been known as "America's pastime." How does this recent move help with that image?
So what they have done is anti-American and opposing the Georgia law by extension is also anti-American?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am
So what they have done is anti-American and opposing the Georgia law by extension is also anti-American?
No. But, to quote someone in another thread, it's "Deeply flawed and hypocritical."

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am

Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 am
You focused on the wrong word in my use of the phrase "America's pastime." I was referring specifically to not helping with the image that watching baseball is an apolitical hobby.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:28 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 am
Rate This wrote:
No. But, to quote someone in another thread, it's "Deeply flawed and hypocritical."
And it’s their decision. Hell... Josh Hawley from the party of FREEDOM!!! Wants to take whatever exemption they get for taxes or whatever it is away. That’s using government to punish someone for using their FREEDOM!!! In a way you don’t like. But this is a guy that thinks someone dropping his book from being published is a 1st amendment violation. *cough* 2024 *cough*.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:56 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:33 am
Major League Baseball Supports Beer Drinking and Pot Smoking

Well, at least that would be the headline if the MSM treated them like a conservative.
Major League Baseball announced Monday that they plan to relocate the All-Star Game to Coors Field in Denver, Colorado, after caving to pressure from the political left and deciding to pull the game out of Georgia last week in response to Georgia’s election reform bill which sought to restore security and confidence in the state's elections.
I was in Denver last fall. The stadium wasn't the only thing that was a mile high.
I can't believe that the MLB moved the all-star game to Colorado given all of Colorado's clearly racist voting laws designed to keep the state mostly in the hands of white people:

-Only 15 days of in-person early voting (compared to Georgia's 17)
-Photo ID required when voting in-person
-First-time mail-in voters must include a copy of their ID with their ballot
-Signature matching for absentee ballots
-Electioneering Prohibition (eg, soliciting votes) within 100 feet of any polling place

I mean seriously, did the MLB even research any of Colorado's election laws? Only took me a few minutes with a google search engine to find these restrictions.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:16 am

Perhaps they should have just moved it to TORONTO. They haven't hosted it in quite a while, have they?

Wonder how much money Truist Park and all the associated business will lose in this, and how many folks there will be directly impacted? Not really going to hurt the state, and as many have pointed out, their new law is much more "voter friendly" than many of the other states.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:50 am

I believe, and don't jump on me if I am not quite right but demographically speaking Georgia is 71 percent Black while Colorado is only 17 percent. Doesn't quite lineup with what they are pissed about does it?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:52 am

zzand wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:50 am
I believe, and don't jump on me if I am not quite right but demographically speaking Georgia is 71 percent Black while Colorado is only 17 percent. Doesn't quite lineup with what they are pissed about does it?
I won’t jump on you but you should go into weather if you haven’t already. The 2019 census puts it at 33.5%, second only to Mississippi at 38.9%. Colorado is at 5.4%.

The Virgin Islands and D.C are actually 1 and 2 but they aren’t states.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 am

Which still proves my point that they chose bad

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic