Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MLB pulls all-star game and draft out of Georgia over new voting laws

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

MLB pulls all-star game and draft out of Georgia over new voting laws

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:58 am

They're a private entity - they have every right to this. This was done...
...in response to a new Georgia law that has civil rights groups concerned about its potential to restrict voting access for people of color....

A recent examination of the 98-page bill by The New York Times identified 16 provisions that either hinder Georgians' right to vote or strip power from state and local elections officials and give it to legislators....
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/311 ... voting-law

My question is, does the new legislation passed in Georgia actually prohibit a single person of color (or anybody for that matter) who wants to vote and can legally vote from actually voting? If not, this sounds like nothing more than a bunch of race-baiting to me.

jadednihilist

Re: MLB pulls all-star game and draft out of Georgia over new voting laws

Post by jadednihilist » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:16 pm

The Georgia state government saw how long the lines were with early voting and thought how they could make voting even less convenient. Some of these provisions are quite draconian. The most egregious example of this is outlawing the passing of food and water to voters in line outside of the voting facility - including to your own friends and family.

I fail to understand how the means to voter security or convenience are mutually exclusive.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm

Not only did you completely not answer my question, but you also make an already-debunked claim about the prohibition of passing out food and water. Politifact rates it as "mostly false."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... ways-vote/

So I'll ask again - is there anything whatsoever in this legislation that would prohibit people who can otherwise legally vote from actually voting?

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:53 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm
Not only did you completely not answer my question, but you also make an already-debunked claim about the prohibition of passing out food and water. Politifact rates it as "mostly false."

Incorrect. The Politifact article says it's mostly false that you'll go to jail for providing food and water to voters, but it absolutely is prohibited. That act is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum fine of $1000 OR up to a year in jail.

The language of the law is quite clear that the prohibition isn't limited to campaigners, but applies to everyone. You may bring your own food and snacks, but you cannot provide any food or snacks to anyone else.

So I'll ask again - is there anything whatsoever in this legislation that would prohibit people who can otherwise legally vote from actually voting?
It doesn't explicitly prohibit people from voting, but that's not the point. Eliminating alternative means to voting in person does make voting more inconvenient. If you're a low-income earner raising a family, it's challenging to find time to wait in a long line to vote. Accessibility to voting should be prioritized if we want to maximize the voice of the people.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Context. It is unfortunate that the Politifact article left out the text immediately preceding the text in question, and I can't believe that the law professors and scholars quoted by Politifact don't make reference to this:
SECTION 33.
Said chapter is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (e) of Code Section 21-2-414, relating to restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place, cellular phone use prohibited, prohibition of candidates from entering certain polling places, and penalty, as follows:

(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by an...
So if you look at what SB 202 is doing, it is simply amending election law by adding to it the underlined sections, which in this case, adds money and gifts to the list of things prohibited from being handed out by people or groups ENGAGED IN CAMPAIGN ACTIVITIES OR PUBLIC OPINION POLLING.

The original law starts out as follows: 21-2-414. Restrictions on campaign activities and public opinion polling within the vicinity of a polling place; cellular phone use prohibited; prohibition of candidates from entering certain polling places; penalty

So while the phrase "any person" immediately precedes the giving out of food and/or drink, that "any person" is still restricted by the prior language limiting the provision to people engaged in campaign activities or public polling. As such, I think that if anyone were ever cited for illegally giving out food or water to somebody standing in line to vote that a court would toss out such a charge if the person handing out the food and/or water wasn't engaged in campaign activities or public polling.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:11 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:22 pm

It makes the lines longer which will discourage people from waiting that long or make it hard for them to have enough time to wait that long. It restricts the number of drop boxes in an odious manner and it reduces early voting. All of these things are blatantly being done because the Republicans in Georgia are butt hurt they lost. Unfortunately “TRUMP!” As a platform doesn’t get it done obviously. The Republican Party needs to get some ideas or it will continue to sink into oblivion unless it severely restricts or discourages voting. All of this despite there being little evidence that the increased access to voting disproportionately helped the Democrats in 2020. How do we know this? The Republican gains at all levels of government and the not higher than normal levels of Democrats voting. All the Democrats mailed in their ballots instead of showing up in person. Voting levels were virtually the same as in previous years. This may yet backfire on the Republicans and cause fewer of their own voters to cast ballots.

This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:51 pm

I don't agree with it because the people who are punished the most are the poor African Americans in Atlanta. Stacey Abrams and Raphael Warnock. I understand the intent, but two wrongs don't make a right. Shame on the Georgia GOP and the MLB.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:23 pm

This decision made by an organization that for DECADES refused to let people of color participate in their leagues.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:13 pm

So ultimately, the new legislation won't actually prevent any legal voter from voting.

Glad we've cleared that up.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:58 pm

This is such hose shit. We gotta start standing up to this woke shit. Biden and much of the media has outright lied about what is contained in this initiative.

MLB? Can I pick up tickets at the will call without an ID? Delta? Can I get on one of your airplanes without an ID? Survey say's...

Georgia allows a utility bill as an option. Can I get on a Delta flight with my DTE bill?

I'm getting some business cards printed up. I will be using these to hand out to the woke idiots where ever I see them.

They will read...

Fuck You
* just *
FUCK YOU
You woke asshole you

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:13 pm

Keith Olbermann said The Masters should pull out of Georgia, I shit you not. This country is so fucked.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:37 pm

Barring a solar flare that takes down the internet and social media for a few years, I don't see it getting better any time soon. It is no coincidence that the rise of "woke" culture coincides with the rise of smart phones and social media.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:21 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:37 pm
Barring a solar flare that takes down the internet and social media for a few years, I don't see it getting better any time soon. It is no coincidence that the rise of "woke" culture coincides with the rise of smart phones and social media.
It's how and why democracies die... Mob rule.

Didn't our founders warn about that?

Not much different than when we really burned witches at the stake, rather than just using the term at a pep rally. Which is worse?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:34 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:58 pm
This is such hose shit. We gotta start standing up to this woke shit. Biden and much of the media has outright lied about what is contained in this initiative.

MLB? Can I pick up tickets at the will call without an ID? Delta? Can I get on one of your airplanes without an ID? Survey say's...

Georgia allows a utility bill as an option. Can I get on a Delta flight with my DTE bill?

I'm getting some business cards printed up. I will be using these to hand out to the woke idiots where ever I see them.

They will read...

Fuck You
* just *
FUCK YOU
You woke asshole you
Voting is a right, picking up tickets is not. Those scenarios are not equivalent.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:35 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:13 pm
Keith Olbermann said The Masters should pull out of Georgia, I shit you not. This country is so fucked.
If the other side actually had ideas they might be able to pressure folks to adopt them. But since there is no platform and no plans to do literally anything there is no pressure either.

There’s a lot of “us poor conservatives, look at how victimized we are” going on but not a lot of “we see problems in the country right now and here’s what we intend to do to fix it and why it’ll help you”. For some reason the Republican Party simply stopped doing that and I have no idea why. Except tax cuts. That’s their one plan.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic