Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why does the CDC recommend Covid-vaccinated people wear masks in public?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: Why does the CDC recommend Covid-vaccinated people wear masks in public?

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:45 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am
So to Bryce and MCRF - do you think the CDC should recommend people wear masks 6 months out of the year, every year, to prevent the spread of the flu? Policy considerations are made based on broad averages, not individual cases. Do either of you dispute my claim that a Covid-vaccinated person is statistically less likely to die form Covid than the flu, as well as statistically less likely to cause an unvaccinated person to die from Covid than from the flu?
COVID is more deadly than the flu, especially for lower age groups. I am not going to get into an argument on the fatality rates of the flu especially during a time it is non existent like this year. I will wear a mask when out in public until we see case rates in the double digits.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:32 pm
bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 pm
Sorry, but comparing not wearing a mask to pissing on the sidewalk makes you sound foolish.
Both are the price of admission right now. Medical professionals spend their entire day every damn one of them with a mask on. You’re telling me you can’t bear 20 minutes in a store? What a wimp. Find something more productive to bitch about.
I videotaped surgeries early in my career. 8,10,12 hours in a mask and behind a camera while surgeons were cutting into people's brains and such. It was an honor and a privilege to be part of those teams. Maybe that's why I have zero time or respect for pissy little complaints about being inconvenienced.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:58 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:51 pm
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:
Sorry, but comparing not wearing a mask to pissing on the sidewalk makes you sound foolish.
Both are the price of admission right now. Medical professionals spend their entire day every damn one of them with a mask on. You’re telling me you can’t bear 20 minutes in a store? What a wimp. Find something more productive to bitch about.
I videotaped surgeries early in my career. 8,10,12 hours in a mask and behind a camera while surgeons were cutting into people's brains and such. It was an honor and a privilege to be part of those teams. Maybe that's why I have zero time or respect for pissy little complaints about being inconvenienced.
All of the top health officials have said from day one that people who don't have COPD can wear a mask with zero harm. I have asthma and do it without incident. We know that the disease is airborne and has been killing people and maiming others. People should just shut up and wear it. If everyone did, we wouldn't have to talk about COVID any longer.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:17 pm

My post was an opinion as to possibly why the policy is the way it is, which is what you asked.

I said nothing about agreeing or disagreeing with it. I have zero input or impact on CDC / MDHHS policy, but do like to figure out why some of the policies in place exist specifically regarding COVID. It's pretty clear they don't trust "us" (the general public).

Quite a reach trying to compare a discussion about a year-old situation that is still evolving with another issue that has been hashed over for about a century or so.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:00 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:45 pm
COVID is more deadly than the flu, especially for lower age groups. I am not going to get into an argument on the fatality rates of the flu especially during a time it is non existent like this year. I will wear a mask when out in public until we see case rates in the double digits.
Try to focus. I'm talking specifically about people who have been fully vaccinated against Covid. I'm arguing that there's no justification rooted in science or statistics that would justify a recommendation that these people, as an entire group, need to wear a mask while in public, or that if there is, then for consistency, there must also be a recommendation that every single person wear a mask every single year while in public during flu season.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:02 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:17 pm
My post was an opinion as to possibly why the policy is the way it is, which is what you asked.

I said nothing about agreeing or disagreeing with it. I have zero input or impact on CDC / MDHHS policy, but do like to figure out why some of the policies in place exist specifically regarding COVID. It's pretty clear they don't trust "us" (the general public).

Quite a reach trying to compare a discussion about a year-old situation that is still evolving with another issue that has been hashed over for about a century or so.
To answer my own question, I think the policy is what it is because the government has really dug its heels in on masks, so they're going to continue doubling down on those policies for the foreseeable future, even if such policies don't stand up to the same criteria used for other similar policies.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:04 pm

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:51 pm
Rate This wrote:
bmw wrote:
So you tell me then - what is the criteria we should use to determine when it is appropriate to no longer mandate or even recommend that people wear masks in public? And I'm not asking about health professionals - THAT is a straw man argument.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Dude.

You've already conceded that the R-values for the flu and COVID are different. Flu has been around literally forever. COVID is relatively new. By default, the policies with something this new are not going to be 100% correct 100% of the time -- or even close. You are correct -- the policies are almost certainly messed up and will need to be changed.

We'll get there. States are dropping mask mandates. It will happen here, but not while hospitalizations are skyrocketing again.

Have a Snickers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:21 pm

So I'm just curious then - how are we going to react when the next pandemic hits - one with a virus of an equal or higher R0 value AND one that has an actual mortality rate of say 5 percent? I'm sorry, but the fact that Covid is new is not an excuse for bad policy, especially given the precedents we're setting.

Sorry if I seem overly-fired up about this, but this pandemic is now over a year old and I truly believe that draconian response by various governments is going to have significant negative implications for decades to come. So when people like Lester make it sound like I'm just here to piss and moan about something as petty as a mask - my criticism of government response goes far, far deeper than that of just masks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:33 pm

Not at all! I respect and appreciate that you're fired up about it, and I think you are asking valid questions.

You're not going to get the answers you want from this highly partisan crowd who get offended if you even insinuate that one of their own has done something wrong and have the gall to question it.

I suspect this will go like it did with the last similar global pandemic. We'll start out with overreacting (still in this phase), morph into something resembling normal reactions (be careful out there), to totally forgetting everything (where we were in Feb 2020). In the end, we won't have leaned much that sticks with whoever it is that faces the next go-round. People will get bored with analyzing what went wrong this time and just move on to the next big thing.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:05 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:33 pm
Not at all! I respect and appreciate that you're fired up about it, and I think you are asking valid questions.

You're not going to get the answers you want from this highly partisan crowd who get offended if you even insinuate that one of their own has done something wrong and have the gall to question it.

I suspect this will go like it did with the last similar global pandemic. We'll start out with overreacting (still in this phase), morph into something resembling normal reactions (be careful out there), to totally forgetting everything (where we were in Feb 2020). In the end, we won't have leaned much that sticks with whoever it is that faces the next go-round. People will get bored with analyzing what went wrong this time and just move on to the next big thing.
You forgot about the bodies piling up...

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:10 pm

No, not really.

Overreacting isn't necessarily a bad thing until it becomes overbearing to the point where other harms are being done. How many more people are going to die because they missed their chance at early detection and early treatment for non-COVID stuff? Those bodies are just as important as the ones from that died from COVID.

Both situations are very real and happening every day.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:05 pm
Pandemics have tendency to do that. If you have a problem with how natural selection works, you need to take that one up with God.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:43 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:33 pm
I suspect this will go like it did with the last similar global pandemic. We'll start out with overreacting (still in this phase), morph into something resembling normal reactions (be careful out there), to totally forgetting everything (where we were in Feb 2020).
Just curious which pandemic you're referring to. The last comparable pandemic was the 1969 Hong Kong flu which killed an estimated 1 to 4 million people worldwide - was there even 1 percent the reaction to that as far as government policy at the time that there was to Covid?

I guess you could also count AIDS as a pandemic. That began in the early 1980s and has killed 35 million people to date. I guess it would be comparable in one way to our mask mandates - I don't believe there were ever mandates for people to wear condoms to prevent the spread of HIV. Recommendations, sure, but never mandates.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:44 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:34 pm
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:05 pm
Pandemics have tendency to do that. If you have a problem with how natural selection works, you need to take that one up with God.
Found the Christian Scientist...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic