Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Facebook now fact-checking satire/jokes

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 14896

Re: Facebook now fact-checking satire/jokes

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:05 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am
Those memes have the same effect as chain emails... a lot of people don’t think they are jokes. They believe they are bitingly true.
[/quote]

So you're saying some people (not you or me, just some people) read an editorial cartoon, or see a comedian or late night host embellish about someone, and believe it to be true?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:16 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:54 am
Those memes have the same effect as chain emails... a lot of people don’t think they are jokes. They believe they are bitingly true.
So you're saying some people (not you or me, just some people) read an editorial cartoon, or see a comedian or late night host embellish about someone, and believe it to be true?
[/quote]
If I’m not mistaken there were (are?) some people who thought Colbert was news when he had his Comedy Central show.

But I’m saying things not clearly marked satire or comedy. A late night host or SNL or any of that comes with comedy in the description. Most memes purport to make a true point in a humorous way (even if it’s 100% false). Chain emails and long Facebook screeds may be chalk full of misinformation. This Dr. Seuss one is in some middle area.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:59 pm

Yep. Fox ad nauseum pushing the lie that Dems and President Biden are responsible for some Dr. Seuss books being “canceled” - when in fact the decision to suspend them was the publisher’s.

What’s wrong with this?

The dolts at Fox - an alleged news organization - chew on this all day/night - while the big news of the day is not given nearly the same amount of time. Let alone more time! Or even any time at all.

Fox is certainly revealing it’s struggle to eek out #1 ratings. The Faux News moniker has never been more appropriate since Dump was Trumped.

Hi, Matt.
Last edited by screen glare on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:09 pm

screen glare wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:59 pm
Yep. Fox ad nauseum pushing the lie that Dems and Biden are responsible for some Dr. Seuss books being “canceled”
Do you have evidence that Fox is doing this? RT didn't. Am I supposed to just take you at your word that FNC is, in fact, reporting specifically that Biden is responsible for the Seuss story?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:22 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:09 pm
screen glare wrote:
Yep. Fox ad nauseum pushing the lie that Dems and Biden are responsible for some Dr. Seuss books being “canceled”
Do you have evidence that Fox is doing this? RT didn't. Am I supposed to just take you at your word that FNC is, in fact, reporting specifically that Biden is responsible for the Seuss story?

They’ve been labeling the left (let’s be real, this is a snide word for Democrats) and Biden as responsible and pointing to Obama talking about Seuss as some sort of example of a change of heart despite those 6 specific Seuss books never coming up with Obama. They are desperately trying to tie something to Biden. They’ve moved on to trying to make the Neanderthal quip offensive to people who may have Neanderthal DNA in their genes as if that makes a lot of sense. It’s desperation time only a month in.
Last edited by Rate This on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:23 pm

My evidence is: eye witness - while flipping back and forth between MSNBC, Fox, and CNN. At the top of an hour. In the middle of a quarter hour. At the bottom of an hour. At the middle of another quarter hour. And also recording and playing back half hours head to head to head.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:36 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:22 pm
bmw wrote:
screen glare wrote:

They’ve been labeling the left (let’s be real, this is a snide word for Democrats) and Biden as responsible and pointing to Obama talking about Seuss as some sort of example of a change of heart despite those 6 specific Seuss books never coming up with Obama. They are desperately trying to tie something to Biden. They’ve moved on to trying to make the Neanderthal quip offensive to people who may have Neanderthal DNA in their genes as if that makes a lot of sense. It’s desperation time only a month in.
Fact check on the headline you posted: MOSTLY TRUE, per newsweek

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-joe ... ay-1573202

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:40 pm

screen glare wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:23 pm
...flipping back and forth between MSNBC, Fox, and CNN. At the top of an hour. In the middle of a quarter hour. At the bottom of an hour. At the middle of another quarter hour. And also recording and playing back half hours head to head to head.
Do you do this often? If so, it might explain why your brain has turned to mush. Consuming that much cable news is not good for your IQ.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:51 pm

screen glare wrote:
Yep. Fox ad nauseum pushing the lie that Dems and President Biden are responsible for some Dr. Seuss books being “canceled” - when in fact the decision to suspend them was the publisher’s.

What’s wrong with this?

The dolts at Fox - an alleged news organization - chew on this all day/night - while the big news of the day is not given nearly the same amount of time. Let alone more time! Or even any time at all.

Fox is certainly revealing it’s struggle to eek out #1 ratings. The Faux News moniker has never been more appropriate since Dump was Trumped.

Hi, Matt.
Hi, Jeff.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:36 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:22 pm
bmw wrote:
screen glare wrote:

Fact check on the headline you posted: MOSTLY TRUE, per newsweek

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-joe ... ay-1573202
But they were running it as part of a broader cancel culture theme. More fake outrage to stoke the masses and distract them. Just like Mr. Potato Head and the Muppets. That’s sideshow stuff compared to what’s coming through congress. I guess since the Republicans can’t really do much to block these bills they need to distract from their existence.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:25 pm

I posted this to Facebook back in March.

It earned me a 24 hour suspension. Reason? Posting false Covid-19 treatment options.

Either Facebook employs people who's first language isn't English or engineering degree drop outs.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:34 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:25 pm
I posted this to Facebook back in March.

It earned me a 24 hour suspension. Reason? Posting false Covid-19 treatment options.

Either Facebook employs people who's first language isn't English or engineering degree drop outs.
Or the honest reality that they are overreacting in order to avoid regulations on their business practices. That’s what it really is. Right wingers tend to use chain emails and memes and such more than left wingers. Like talk radio, the internet is a right dominated landscape in terms of political discourse.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 pm

Common sense is like anti-perspirant. The people that need it most, seldom use it.

Have you decided to let a 16-year-old manage your investment portfolio yet? It might get them to pay attention to the markets.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:45 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 pm
Common sense is like anti-perspirant. The people that need it most, seldom use it.

Have you decided to let a 16-year-old manage your investment portfolio yet? It might get them to pay attention to the markets.
The tech giants are trying like hell to show they can self regulate. That’s all this is. And as a matter of fact if you start teaching somebody they do tend to pick up on it so this theoretical 16 year old would learn some things about the market.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic