Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rush Limbaugh Dies

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Lester The Nightfly

Re: Rush Limbaugh Dies

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:49 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:36 pm
Lester? What exactly would fit the definition of slut if a 20's something, unmarried woman that burns through 9 condoms a day to spend that 1,000.00 a year for contraceptives she claimed she had to spend doesn't?
Not my call and certainly not predicated on boosting my ratings/paycheck. That's the difference between me and him and apparently you as well since it appears you're all for "slut shaming"*.

* Slut shaming. noun.
The action or fact of stigmatizing a woman for engaging in behavior judged to be promiscuous or sexually provocative.
Oxford dictionary.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm

Bryce wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:46 pm
Woody Allen was a great filmmaker. Made some of the funniest movies ever. Top of his craft. But if you ask me, he is a reprehensible human being and deserves to burn in hell when the devil chooses to take his sick ass also.

Everybody feel better?
But Rush never banged his underage step daughter, he merely held opinions you personally hold in disdain.
Yeah, but not every fucking racist....er...person with strong opinions..broadcast them to millions and had their sway. Or profitted greatly thru his hatred like Rush did.

The censorship king from out of state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:35 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm
Bryce wrote:
Honeyman wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:46 pm
Woody Allen was a great filmmaker. Made some of the funniest movies ever. Top of his craft. But if you ask me, he is a reprehensible human being and deserves to burn in hell when the devil chooses to take his sick ass also.

Everybody feel better?
But Rush never banged his underage step daughter, he merely held opinions you personally hold in disdain.
Yeah, but not every fucking racist....er...person with strong opinions..broadcast them to millions and had their sway. Or profitted greatly thru his hatred like Rush did.
Exactly and I still doubt they were genuine opinions. I think they were what would get the man his millions the easiest. Not caring about the consequences one bit. Not interested in policy or seeing the world get better a bit. Just in making cash for expensive cigars or something.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:55 pm

Are the conservative snowflakes ready for some more satire? I don't want to hurt their feelings.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:55 pm

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 pm

kager wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:29 pm
It's sad the biggest discussion of Rush Limbaugh's passing rests here in PolPot sted of a radio forum, but this is apparently where he, his biggest fans and his biggest detractors live.

Early on (mid-late 80's?), when the show's comedy and commentary were less about US politics, and more along the lines of current events / world politics / host ego, his show was decent, if not sophomoric entertainment (Gorbasms, Spatula City, etc.) I'd even sneak a listen to bits of the show off the bird in cue during my shift - I liked the irreverence towards politicians and world figures. Then again, I liked John Landecker, too...

A few years later, free of a shift that occupied the same time slot, I soon found that the ability to take in 3 hours of the guy at will was a little less compelling than I thought it would be. That, and the pace, tone and timber of the show had changed to the point where it was less funny or innovative. More serious-like. Past its freshness date for me.

I never stopped listening completely; sometimes taking in a few minutes to catch up on national events, just mingling with AM static rhythms, trying prevent what they call country music from getting any more share, or in betting that even those entertainers who are past their prime still have moments that prove they still have it in 'em to have a good show.

Rush had a much longer run than anyone could have imagined. Frustrated some. Empowered others. Kept AM lit, and Air America dark.

RIP Rush.
Oh, you mean the decade where he celebrated every time a prominent gay man died of AIDS?

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 am

Rush Limbaugh and Carrol O’Connor (Archie Bunker) in the same league? No way!

One exhibited HIMSELF on and off air and was paid for it.

The other made clear “off stage” that he was ACTING the role of a character and was paid for it.

Several posters here have indicated that Limbaugh was just acting. Hogwash! Limbaugh wasn’t a professional actor. No, he was superb at venting his true feelings by way of his intense personality. An attribute one is born with. An attribute to be used for good or evil. His choice.

O’Connor was an unmistakable political liberal when not playing the role of Archie Bunker. In fact All In The Family was a morality play each week. It was a mirror in which Americans looked and saw themselves in one or more of the characters. In the case of Bunker - his bigotry was portrayed as hurtful, unhelpful, uneducated, BUNK.

Limbaugh’s intense personality was the vehicle for his own hateful opinions of those who did not believe as he did. Just like Trump. Just like Jim Jones. Just like Bill O’Riley. Just like Hitler. Just like Father Coughlin. They’re called demagogues, folks. And they have the ability to convince you to follow them.

Straight to hell.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:49 pm
Bryce wrote:
Lester? What exactly would fit the definition of slut if a 20's something, unmarried woman that burns through 9 condoms a day to spend that 1,000.00 a year for contraceptives she claimed she had to spend doesn't?
Not my call and certainly not predicated on boosting my ratings/paycheck. That's the difference between me and him and apparently you as well since it appears you're all for "slut shaming"*.

* Slut shaming. noun.
The action or fact of stigmatizing a woman for engaging in behavior judged to be promiscuous or sexually provocative.
Oxford dictionary.
Ms. Fluke inserted herself into a political debate and provided testimony on a highly charged topic. Doing so makes her fair game for political commentary.

Pointing out that her testimony stating contraceptives cost her 1,000.00 a year was either a lie or makes her a slut of epic proportions isn't slut shaming. It's sardonic humor.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:28 am

Let's just get straight to the point here: The level of disdain for Mr. Limbaugh from those who can't stand him is caused by nothing more than the fact that Limbaugh was a highly influential conservative. It was his conservative views combined with the influence that he had why certain people don't like him. He was politically incorrect at times, and that is apparently just plain unacceptable if your political incorrectness targets people who aren't conservatives.

And speaking of being politically incorrect, Bill Maher, for example, has said FAR FAR worse things about certain people or certain groups of people, and built his career largely on flagrantly stating those opinions, but when he's dead, he'll get a free pass from these same people because he wasn't a conservative.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:28 am
Let's just get straight to the point here: The level of disdain for Mr. Limbaugh from those who can't stand him is caused by nothing more than the fact that Limbaugh was a highly influential conservative. It was his conservative views combined with the influence that he had why certain people don't like him. He was politically incorrect at times, and that is apparently just plain unacceptable if your political incorrectness targets people who aren't conservatives.

And speaking of being politically incorrect, Bill Maher, for example, has said FAR FAR worse things about certain people or certain groups of people, and built his career largely on flagrantly stating those opinions, but when he's dead, he'll get a free pass from these same people because he wasn't a conservative.
Cite some examples so we can compare. The “Conservatives don’t do that” bit is really getting thin.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:39 am

Sure. Let's start here:
Back when Bill Maher was hosting Politically Incorrect, he came under some fire for some comments he made about developmentally disabled children. Specifically, he likened them to dogs, saying there wasn’t much difference. He says that “retarded children” are pretty much the same thing as dogs. Maher goes on to hammer in the joke further, even telling one of the guests she should start treating her disabled nephew like a dog.
He's also said many disparaging things about Christians, at one point saying (on Bill O'Reilly's show) that "faith" is the "purposeful suspension of critical thinking," and when O'Reilly called him out for "mocking" and "denigrating" people of faith, Maher responded that "ridicule is the only appropriate way to handle such fantasy."

He said on Twitter in 2009 that people who get the flu shot are a bunch of "idiots."

He has also gone after Arab men specifically, once in a discussion with PBS's Tavis Smiley saying "talk to women who’ve ever dated an Arab man, the results are not good."
Last edited by bmw on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:48 am

Having sex many times a week, and at the same time trying to prevent pregnancy and STD’s is only judged “slut” if you are female. If a young man is behaving in the same way he is not judged “slut”. Or anything negative. Or even judged.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:10 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:39 am
Sure. Let's start here:
Back when Bill Maher was hosting Politically Incorrect, he came under some fire for some comments he made about developmentally disabled children. Specifically, he likened them to dogs, saying there wasn’t much difference. He says that “retarded children” are pretty much the same thing as dogs. Maher goes on to hammer in the joke further, even telling one of the guests she should start treating her disabled nephew like a dog.
He's also said many disparaging things about Christians, at one point saying (on Bill O'Reilly's show) that "faith" is the "purposeful suspension of critical thinking," and when O'Reilly called him out for "mocking" and "denigrating" people of faith, Maher responded that "ridicule is the only appropriate way to handle such fantasy."

He said on Twitter in 2009 that people who get the flu shot are a bunch of "idiots."

He has also gone after Arab men specifically, once in a discussion with PBS's Tavis Smiley saying "talk to women who’ve ever dated an Arab man, the results are not good."
The things Limbaugh said over the years were far far far worse than that. You’ve gotta be kidding.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:19 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:10 am
The things Limbaugh said over the years were far far far worse than that. You’ve gotta be kidding.
You said you wanted to compare. So find and post the 3 or 4 quotes form Limbaugh through the years that you believe are far worse. Speaking of which, I've seen a lot of summarizing of Rush's statements in here without posting the actual quotes.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 am

Oh and I almost forgot the comments that got Maher fired in 2001 after a bunch of advertisers abandoned ship - where just days after 9/11, one of his guests (Dinesh D'Souza) said that the people who hijacked planes and flew them into the trade towers were "warriors," and Maher AGREED with this statement, saying, and I quote, "We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, [it's] not cowardly."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic