Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rush Limbaugh Dies

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Rush Limbaugh Dies

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:44 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 pm
Matt wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:57 pm
I would listen to him occasionally, usually because I got in my car and the station was on, could take a few minutes and turned him off.

Not sure what your point is...do you watch Rachel Maddow for an hour a day?
I think the difference is that if that young man met his demise, most on the right wouldn't be celebrating.
Well, she's a woman, so you are showing your
lack of class and acceptance in one simple, dumb statement. And of course, we indeed WOULD be hearing celebratory homophobic comments from the right as stupid as yours.

And besides being a pile of human garbage, Rush died of lung cancer. Because he smoked. He killed himself, essentially. No sympathy here, sorry.
Lighten up, Francis. It was a cheap joke.

I haven't listened to Rush in many years, but I do remember him bragging about his smoke-filled lungs and thought that made him sound like a dickhead. BMW made a comment that makes me think Rush realized how terrible Mike Huckabee was, so I can respect him for that.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:29 pm

It's sad the biggest discussion of Rush Limbaugh's passing rests here in PolPot sted of a radio forum, but this is apparently where he, his biggest fans and his biggest detractors live.

Early on (mid-late 80's?), when the show's comedy and commentary were less about US politics, and more along the lines of current events / world politics / host ego, his show was decent, if not sophomoric entertainment (Gorbasms, Spatula City, etc.) I'd even sneak a listen to bits of the show off the bird in cue during my shift - I liked the irreverence towards politicians and world figures. Then again, I liked John Landecker, too...

A few years later, free of a shift that occupied the same time slot, I soon found that the ability to take in 3 hours of the guy at will was a little less compelling than I thought it would be. That, and the pace, tone and timber of the show had changed to the point where it was less funny or innovative. More serious-like. Past its freshness date for me.

I never stopped listening completely; sometimes taking in a few minutes to catch up on national events, just mingling with AM static rhythms, trying prevent what they call country music from getting any more share, or in betting that even those entertainers who are past their prime still have moments that prove they still have it in 'em to have a good show.

Rush had a much longer run than anyone could have imagined. Frustrated some. Empowered others. Kept AM lit, and Air America dark.

RIP Rush.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:00 pm

On the Howard Stern Radio Show when the late Hank The Angry Young Dwarf was on (1998 till September 10, 2001 his death) Hank hated the late Don Imus & Rush Limbargh!! Saw that when E! played that segment back then!!!

matt1

Post by matt1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:02 pm

Also an episode of MTV's Beavis And Butthead (late 1993) had an episode about coming to Rush's show supporting "See I Told You So" & Beavis showed off his butt!! Rush said "Get these bastards out of here" & Beavis said "Boing"!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 am

matt1 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:02 pm
Also an episode of MTV's Beavis And Butthead (late 1993) had an episode about coming to Rush's show supporting "See I Told You So" & Beavis showed off his butt!! Rush said "Get these bastards out of here" & Beavis said "Boing"!!
I thought for sure you were going to tell us about the time back in 97 when Rush ate at the Sanford, MI Ponderosa.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:03 am

The only reason Limbaugh was successful was because he was a politically incorrect ass. The more he upset people, the better it was for him. If he was PC, his show doesn't last. People stop talking about it, stop being mad about it. The show goes away.

What he did was theater. It worked too well.
I agree with the "theater" part - but to say his show was only successful due to shock value is silly. It was successful because he was a great broadcaster who delivered an entertaining, highly polished show to his audience.

Think of what talk radio was like before Rush came along. It was a mixture of milquetoast hosts who spent a lot of time interviewing guests, professional advice shows, and curmudgeons such as Larry King.

Between talk shows in certain dayparts, many of these AM stations would play really bad dentist's office music from the 60's & 70's.

Premiere says it will announce replacement programming no sooner than 90 days from now. The only person I can see holding court with Limbaugh's large audience is Donald Trump, but would someone like him really commit to doing 3 hours of radio daily for five days a week? Doubtful, especially if we're talking two or three years from now.

Ironically, Mike Pence is another possibility. Let's not forget he formerly was a talk radio host on WIBC in Indianapolis. Listening to Pence for three hours a day would be fatiguing, in my opinion.

I, for one, would like to see Ben Shapiro get the time slot. However, he is probably under contract with Westwood One (Premiere's arch competitor) and cannot simply change horses on a dime.

The most likely outcome? Premiere moves the wallbanger (Sean Hannity) to middays in order to clear his program in more markets and on better stations. They then backfill Hannity's existing time slot with someone else.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:34 am

Metalhead, a fun fact about the Pence talk show. Although it aired in Indy and the state wide network it was actually done from our studios just outside the city. I have talked to news people worldwide who wanted clips of his old show. None are to be found here so they were all sent to the statewide network.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:37 am

zzand wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:34 am
Metalhead, a fun fact about the Pence talk show. Although it aired in Indy and the state wide network it was actually done from our studios just outside the city. I have talked to news people worldwide who wanted clips of his old show. None are to be found here so they were all sent to the statewide network.
That's cool!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:38 am

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:45 am

"Extra Hell" :rollin

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:38 am
That first one is really good... :lol

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 am

No real Christian purports to know if any person goes to Heaven or Hell. Even Catholics now recognize that people are saved by Grace, not Works. Even Bill Clinton is likely saved by Grace, in my OPINION. Because that's all you can do, is give an OPINION. TC Talks is full of OPINIONS, as well as products of digestion.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:04 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 am
No real Christian purports to know if any person goes to Heaven or Hell. Even Catholics now recognize that people are saved by Grace, not Works. Even Bill Clinton is likely saved by Grace, in my OPINION. Because that's all you can do, is give an OPINION. TC Talks is full of OPINIONS, as well as products of digestion.
I am not interested in your KKKristianity. My faith applies grace to everyone on earth, something Limbaugh would not understand if you weren't a white male. He's in "Extra Hell" right now.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:05 am

So you say my faith applies "grace to everyone" then you say he's in "Extra Hell".

Makes no sense at all!

But that's nothing new...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:12 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:05 am
So you say my faith applies "grace to everyone" then you say he's in "Extra Hell".

Makes no sense at all!

But that's nothing new...
His faith may do that but god has a special place for folks like Rush... those born without a moral compass tend not to do well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic