Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

If not blocked from running again, does Trump run?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Mark Elliott

Re: If not blocked from running again, does Trump run?

Post by Mark Elliott » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:13 am

I'm fascinated by the "Biden vs. Trump" obsession on this board.

81 people didn't vote for Biden. Many of them voted for "the person chosen to represent their views..." whoever that turned out to be. They would have preferred Sanders, or maybe Elizabeth Warren. I know a number of former Republicans who were rallying behind Buttigieg. Were voters "passionate" about Biden? No. But because of our current two party only system, it was their only choice.

Out of 74 million people, there were many more "passionate" about Trump. Without getting into any of the reasons, many of them had become obsession with personality and not issues - the opposite of the above. The party itself became a personality cult - they didn't even bother to develop a platform of ideas - they just rubber stamped whatever they wrote in 2016 with "more of the same."

2022 will be an interesting primary season. If the Trump wing of the party does go full speed ahead to avenge their leader, what is the cut line? John Thune is up - he voted for acquittal but said some bad things, is he in the crosshairs? Mike DeWine pretty much staying on the sidelines except for one public statement about the then President Elect - does he get the "treatment"? A lot of energy and resources will go into the opposing candidates bloodying each other.

2024 has all the makings of a total shit show.

In the process, the pursuit of tighter voting regulations and redistricting based on the flawed 2020 Census will keep the attack machines on both sides "turned up to 11."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 am

I agree with Matt's original post. Trump will try to play king maker.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:02 am

I envision Trump becoming the Republican Party's equivalent of Al Sharpton and Calypso Louis Farrakhan.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:05 am

LOL

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:21 am

That's an interesting analogy, to say the least! :)

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:31 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:02 am
I envision Trump becoming the Republican Party's equivalent of Al Sharpton and Calypso Louis Farrakhan.
At the rate things are going you’re either 100% in the personality cult and support his movement to the death or you’re a never Trumper who needs to be expelled from the party. I don’t see that dynamic changing.

That’s not good for the chance of an intra-party civil war and some serious opportunities to blow it down the road.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:40 am

Ben Sasse needs to be the Republican nominee in 2024.

If he runs, I think the GOP has a chance of winning states in the Presidential race it hasn't won in decades.

I'll also add that Ronald Reagan is probably rolling in his grave over how badly Trump defiled the office of President on his way out.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:52 am

I don't think he will run and if he does it will be a third party of his making. A lot of people on all sides think if there is an "R" next to your name you are a Trump supporter. That is far from the truth. I am a lifelong "R" and didn't vote for him either time and did not support him and I know many who didn't. I think the Republicans will back a mainstream candidate. Who that will be? Too early to speculate. I also think President Biden will be one and done and Harris will be the standard bearer for the Democrats. The next election cycle could prove to be very interesting.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:40 am
Ben Sasse needs to be the Republican nominee in 2024.

If he runs, I think the GOP has a chance of winning states in the Presidential race it hasn't won in decades.

I'll also add that Ronald Reagan is probably rolling in his grave over how badly Trump defiled the office of President on his way out.
The Republicans will never nominate someone who isn’t Trump-like. Sasse has alienated too much of the party.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:17 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:21 am
That's an interesting analogy, to say the least! :)
Well think about it. both Farrakhan and sharpton are not really considered mainstream democrats, yet people running for office consistently go to them to Garner their support because of the base they have and control.

It's not too far beyond the realm of possibility that Trump becomes somewhat like them in the Republican party.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:12 am

I think your analogy is quite accurate and clever actually. Nicely done!

I said "interesting" only because I don't believe I've seen those names ever used in the same sentence in such a fashion previously.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:12 pm

I'm generally not one to make predictions on things unpredictable. The guy is going to be 75 years old this summer. There are no guarantees about how many tomorrows anybody gets. The only thing for sure is the older you get the smaller your maximum potential tomorrows become.

So here's my rarely made bold prediction....Trump won't be a factor in 2024 because he will be physically and/or mentally unable or even dead.

I no longer directly engage trolls

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 pm

What do you say about Biden?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:00 am

There certainly is a battle setting up between Mitch McConnell and the fragmented Trump types at the Capitol.

I'm also noticing how happy moderate Republicans are with Biden's effort to right the economy. If he keeps his eye on economic recovery he will end up doing okay, because Trump certainly had no abilities in that regard.
Last edited by TC Talks on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:09 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:00 am
There certainly is a battle setting up between Mitch McConnell and the fragmented Trump types at the Capitol.

I'm also noticing how happy moderate Republicans are with Biden's effort to right the economy. If he keeps his eye on economic recovery biting will end up doing okay, because Trump certainly had no abilities in that regard.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic