Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

America's Biggest Problem

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Mark Elliott

America's Biggest Problem

Post by Mark Elliott » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 am

BTW - I am looking for a matching Democratic Party quote and will post it here when I find it.

Kevin McCarthy was elected to Congress to represent his district and govern, something he's not doing at all,

"McCarthy’s entire focus is on winning back the House in 2022"

Read it for yourself

audiophile

Re: America's Biggest Problem

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:10 am

Give me a break. Winning an election is not the problem.

Coming up with bad ideas once they are in office is the problem.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:33 am

Mark Elliott wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 am
BTW - I am looking for a matching Democratic Party quote and will post it here when I find it.

Kevin McCarthy was elected to Congress to represent his district and govern, something he's not doing at all,

Read it for yourself
Did you sleep through the last four years? The last year?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:33 am
Mark Elliott wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:01 am

Read it for yourself
Did you sleep through the last four years? The last year?
I'm sorry, I should have waited to find a Democratic equivalent quote and posted them both. No, I haven't missed the last few years. And it's lasted longer than just a few years. We are a country where the focus is on winning elections, not actually doing anything when you get there. I hate it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:33 am

Mark Elliott wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am
We are a country where the focus is on winning elections, not actually doing anything when you get there. I hate it.
Term limits? 12 years for Senate and six for House?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:59 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:33 am
Mark Elliott wrote:
We are a country where the focus is on winning elections, not actually doing anything when you get there. I hate it.
And then nobody knows what the hell they are doing and how to make laws and work with the bureaucracy and as soon as they really do or have any seniority they are out. Not to mention all of the acidic folks who would be elected speaker and majority leader because being loud and obnoxious would be the way to get into congress once no adults run anymore because the gig sucks. No thanks. Term limits weren’t built into it originally for a reason. The folks who wrote the constitution did not fear government service and many of them wore several hats over the course of their careers.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:59 am
Bryce wrote:
Mark Elliott wrote:
And then nobody knows what the hell they are doing and how to make laws and work with the bureaucracy and as soon as they really do or have any seniority they are out. Not to mention all of the acidic folks who would be elected speaker and majority leader because being loud and obnoxious would be the way to get into congress once no adults run anymore because the gig sucks. No thanks. Term limits weren’t built into it originally for a reason. The folks who wrote the constitution did not fear government service and many of them wore several hats over the course of their careers.
We didn't have term limits for the President and Vice President for over 175 years because the folks holding those offices probably figured that a) it wasn't a monarchy and b) two terms should be plenty. If we had that same common sense in the Congress, we wouldn't need them there either.

One big step might be GETTING RID OF THE BULK OF THE BUREAUCRACY!! Transfer most of those functions back to the States, except for what really needs to be done at the federal level. I'd posture that a good 50% of the problem could be eliminated and get many of these functions back 'closer to the people' so locally they can decide what's best for them.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Mark Elliott wrote:
This times 1,000,000
Wellllll... la de frickin da

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 pm
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Mark Elliott wrote:
We didn't have term limits for the President and Vice President for over 175 years because the folks holding those offices probably figured that a) it wasn't a monarchy and b) two terms should be plenty. If we had that same common sense in the Congress, we wouldn't need them there either.

One big step might be GETTING RID OF THE BULK OF THE BUREAUCRACY!! Transfer most of those functions back to the States, except for what really needs to be done at the federal level. I'd posture that a good 50% of the problem could be eliminated and get many of these functions back 'closer to the people' so locally they can decide what's best for them.
Ding!
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:52 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 pm
Rate This wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Mark Elliott wrote:

You mean hand over power to SHIRKey and other dysfunctional state governments? I don't think so.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:10 am

Like Whitmer?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:58 am

Yes, like Shirley and Whitmer!!

WE should not be burdening the rest of the country with our bad decisions, just as we should not be affected by theirs

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:29 am

km1125 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:58 am

WE should not be burdening the rest of the country with our bad decisions, just as we should not be affected by theirs
Great. Now companies can comply with 50 different rules for things. Your costs just went through the roof.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:06 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:29 am
km1125 wrote:

Great. Now companies can comply with 50 different rules for things. Your costs just went through the roof.
There's no reason we would end up with "50 different rules for things". No reason the states can't still collaborate where and when they need to when it makes sense, but also differ if it makes sense for their local conditions.

Let's just go with an easy one. State Sales Taxes. I'm sure it would make it MUCH easier on all the retail and online establishments if we just had the same "sales tax" across the whole country, but there are certain states who have held these taxes very low and others who have let them spiral out of control. Why force everyone to the same rate?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:08 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:29 am
km1125 wrote:

To me, that's the beautiful thing about our system of government. If I don't like the way the state I live in is governed, I am free to move to a state that I like. Just like the thousands of people that have left the states of California and New York because of their high taxation and over regulation.

Companies are free to decide not to do business in any state that has rules that will drive costs up. Much like Kroger, who decided to close stores in a city that demanded they give workers a four to five dollar per hour raise. They decided that didn't work for them. They closed the store.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic