Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Oil companies post billions in losses

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Oil companies post billions in losses

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:20 pm

The Big Three all lost money. What I heard today on NPR was very telling and it basically said the shift to Green economies is moving much faster than the oil industry anticipated. Translation, putting all our eggs in the Republican desk it was a pretty stupid idea and now it's time for Payback.
NEW YORK (AP) — Exxon Mobil reported its third consecutive quarter of losses as the global pandemic curtailed travel and crippled global economic activity.

The energy giant on Friday posted a $680 million third-quarter loss and revenue tumbled to $46.2 billion, down from $65.05 billion during the same quarter last year.

The string of losses and what by almost all counts will be a money-losing year is new territory for Exxon Mobil, which has not posted an annual loss since Exxon and Mobil merged in 1999.

“This is a business that’s made a billion dollars a quarter on average from 2011 to 2018 and it’s had a rough go,” said Peter McNally, global sector lead for industrials, materials and energy at Third Bridge, a research firm.

Already struggling with weak prices from oversupply, the pandemic has intensified the pain for oil and gas companies. The price of U.S. benchmark crude has fallen 40% since the start of the year. The cost for a barrel of oil tumbled 10% just this week as coronavirus infections surged in the U.S. and abroad.

Commuting to work has largely ended for millions of people. Air travel this year fell to levels not seen in the jet age and the economy suffered its worst contraction in decades as factories and other big energy consumers shut down. All indications point to a Thanksgiving celebrated close to home, and in smaller numbers this year.

Exxon has begun slashing costs to offset falling energy demand, and that means jobs.

A day after announcing 1,900 job cuts, Exxon said on Friday that it plans to cut 15% of its global workforce by the end of next year, about 11,250 jobs. The company employed 75,000 people at the end of 2019.

Chevron also announced job cuts Thursday after closing on its acquisition of Noble Energy earlier this month, saying it would trim the headcount at that company by about a quarter.

“We remain confident in our long-term strategy and the fundamentals of our business, and are taking the necessary actions to preserve value while protecting the balance sheet and dividend,” said Exxon Mobil CEO Darren Woods in a prepared statement.

Exxon said Friday that it may divest $25 billion to $30 billion in North American dry gas assets, and that it would cut capital expenditures to between $16 billion and $19 billion next year.

That would follow a year in which Exxon reduced capital spending by 30%, to $23 billion.

“We are on pace to achieve our 2020 cost-reduction targets and are progressing additional savings next year as we manage through this unprecedented down cycle,” Woods said.

Those planned reductions might not be enough to appease some investors. Exxon was the only one of the super-majors to post a loss this quarter, and is behind its peers in cost-cutting, said Jennifer Rowland, senior analyst at Edward Jones. “Everyone else either stayed in the black or got back into the black from the abyss of the second quarter. I think it’s telling that they’re the only ones still running in the red.” AP

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/busine ... 920046.php

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Re: Oil companies post billions in losses

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:30 pm

My heart bleeds for Big Oil.

They need a bailout.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:56 pm

How about natural gas?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:07 pm

I guess nobody there ever talked 'diversity'.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:35 pm

The lockdowns hurt oil, not green technology.

Everybody is driving big honking vehicles now at faster and faster speeds. Bolts, Leafs and Teslas are not much of the motor pool yet.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:17 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:56 pm
How about natural gas?
By natural market forces it is what is replacing coal and it’s far cleaner to boot.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:51 am

Which comes from garbage and fracking.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:01 am

The lockdowns hurt oil, not green technology.
Bingo.

Very first sentence of the AP article cites COVID, yet TC Talks makes a quantum leap to green technology. Look, long-term, green technology will definitely hurt fossil fuel industry market share and perhaps general profitability, but that isn't the reason so many oil & gas producers took it on the chin last year.

To answer Bryce, natural gas prices were abysmal from late Q4'19 through mid summer of 2020. Henry Hub spot prices in June 2020 reached generational record low prices for a several day period. We're talking $1.40 or a $1.50 per thousand cubic feet. To put that into perspective, anything under $2.50 during the warm part of the year is generally considered soft. Sustained prices under $2.00 in the modern era (i.e. post coal era) is highly uncommon, yet I believe there were several months in 2020 where the average price on a spot basis was at or below $2, even in some cold weather months!

In certain producing basins, gas prices were even worse in the second half of 2019. That was mainly a function of insufficient pipeline / transport capacity. Differing prices when comparing a specific basin to the "big" index price (New York Mercantile Exchange price) is known as a "basis differential."

Overproduction & climbing natural gas inventories due to relatively mild winters the past few years were already weighing on prices; COVID intensified the pressure on prices.

Natural gas heavy E&P companies that weren't hedged going into late 2019 and 2020 suffered heavy losses. Many such companies do enter into fixed price contracts or similar arrangements known as collars 6, 12, 18 or even 24 months ahead of time.

When discussing coal - one needs to distinguish thermal coal (used mostly for electrical power generation) from metallurgical coal (used in steel production). The domestic market for the former is almost dead. Electricity producers prefer natural gas, and many coal fired plants that have not yet been closed or retrofitted soon will be.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:07 am

Excellent analysis MW!

It always feels like TC Talks uses this forum as an experiment/idea generator for his business clients...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:41 am

Let's see what happens in the next decade. My buddies here and in Texas certainly aren't optimistic about Gas and Oil. Most have diversified to other energy.

Gas and oil will never go away (similar to print and radio). It's going to diminish slowly, but it's used in too many items (plastics and fertilizer for example).

My biggest grind remains ocean freighters. They account for as much as 20% of all the greenhouse gases with very little regulation.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:07 pm

I'm ready for a (mostly) electrical personal transportation system.

Most interesting to me will be working out the myriad of small details that no one is talking about. It takes a lot of torque (power) to tow a 5th wheel for instance. Right now there is now way the hundreds of thousands of campgrounds around the USA have the electrical infrastructure to charge vehicles - especially considering how all of them collapse just trying to keep up with the demand from air conditioning.

When you tow your boat to the lake, how are you going to charge your vehicle for the ride home?

For GM especially, this is a hvge deal. How many of those new GMC Hummers do you think you'll find being used by drivers looking to go Up North for the weekend when they won't be able to get them back home?

From the outside looking in, it feels a lot like we're putting the horse way, way, way in front of the cart.

No doubt in my mind that it's good that we're looking to clean up our act. I just don't see how we're ready for it.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:29 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:41 am
Let's see what happens in the next decade. My buddies here and in Texas certainly aren't optimistic about Gas and Oil. Most have diversified to other energy.

Gas and oil will never go away (similar to print and radio). It's going to diminish slowly, but it's used in too many items (plastics and fertilizer for example).

My biggest grind remains ocean freighters. They account for as much as 20% of all the greenhouse gases with very little regulation.
Natural gas probably won't go away for a long while, but oil will die by a thousand cuts.

Kind of hard to get rid of freighters due to the fact that they are the only means to move cars through the Pacific Ocean. Kind of hard to make freighters energy efficient.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:33 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:29 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:41 am

Natural gas probably won't go away for a long while, but oil will die by a thousand cuts.

Kind of hard to get rid of freighters due to the fact that they are the only means to move cars through the Pacific Ocean. Kind of hard to make freighters energy efficient.
Actually, freighters are incredibly energy efficient! I forget the stats now, but when you compare the cost of fuel per lb of product, it's cheaper than any other form of transportation by at least one order of magnitude!

The big "beef" with them is that they normally use bunker oil. That's (literally) the bottom of the barrel in oil production, so it's also the cheapest. They could use cleaner forms, like regular diesel, kerosene, or even natural gas, but the bunker is available and cheap. Oh, and did I say it was cheap?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:08 pm

Bunker oil really is the issue. No one is arguing that super Freighters and railroads are very efficient. The locomotive industry needs to develop an engine that can be turned off and on much more frequently than they do these days. Often trains will idle for days.

― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:04 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:08 pm
Bunker oil really is the issue. No one is arguing that super Freighters and railroads are very efficient. The locomotive industry needs to develop an engine that can be turned off and on much more frequently than they do these days. Often trains will idle for days.
Diesels don’t work that way. The biggest issues are water freezing and diesel gelling. Shutting them down risks those conditions in winter. In the summer they nearly always shut them down. One of the other reasons you don’t shut them down when they have a train with them is keeping air on the brakes. If it’s sitting alone in a yard that’s when you really can shut them down. If anything the more efficient at its application something is the less penalty in emissions regulations it should have.

Attacking modes of transport that eliminate greenhouse emissions in the long run by being so efficient seems bassackwards...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic