Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

GM eliminates the need for Gas by 2035

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

GM eliminates the need for Gas by 2035

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:07 pm

There are quite a number of people very upset about Biden's recent slowdown of new fossil fuel exploration. Given the production capacity in the United States already, we don't need greater capacity as the demand continues to decline.

Currently, every major manufacturer plus some new startups are working on electric vehicles. It is time to stop worrying about oil as part of our international policies. I believe we should start by going after Saudi Arabia for human rights violations.

Even the stock market was happy with the move.
General Motors said Thursday that it will end the sale of all gasoline and diesel powered passenger cars and light sports utility vehicles by 2035, marking an historic turning point for the iconic American automobile company and promising a future full of new electric vehicles for American motorists.

GM chief executive Mary Barra, who antagonized many climate experts by embracing President Donald Trump’s relaxation of fuel efficiency targets, said the company would eliminate all tailpipe emissions from light duty vehicles by that date. "As one of the world’s largest automakers, we hope to set an example of responsible leadership in a world that is faced with climate change,” she said on LinkedIn.

The carmaker will spend $27 billion on electric vehicles and associated products between 2020 and 2025, outstripping investment on conventional gasoline and diesel cars, GM has said. That figure includes refurbishing factories and investing in battery production in conjunction with LG Chem, a South Korean battery maker.

As part of its plan, GM will manufacture about 30 types of electric vehicles, about 20 of which would be for sale in the United States.

The company’s stock was up nearly 4 percent in late afternoon trading.

The move toward ending tailpipe emissions won’t affect medium and heavy duty trucks, but it will include everything from cars and crossovers to full-size SUVs, such as the light-duty Silverado and Yukon, a company spokeswoman said.

Fred Krupp, president of the Environmental Defense Fund, which had worked with GM on its plan, called it a “breakthrough moment.”

“And it’s part of a wave of industry action that reinforces what the Biden Administration is doing,” Krupp said.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Re: GM eliminates the need for Gas by 2035

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:43 pm

One question. Where the hell are we going to get all the electricity to power all of these vehicles?

California can't even completely power their current infrastructure reliably.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:47 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:43 pm
One question. Where the hell are we going to get all the electricity to power all of these vehicles?

I can live off the grid without issue these days. Solar works even in the cloudy Midwest. Solar doesn't require H*** plants. Solar isn't concerned about H*** line loss inefficiencies. Solar can be put on the roofs of buildings. Solar can be on the roof of every house in America. And solar is getting damn cheap. Panels are running $79. With storage and a BMS you can get into a system for less than what your electric bill costs and will last 30 plus years these days.
― Matt

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 pm

What about those who have older collectable cars? What will they run on when the gas stations close?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:52 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:47 pm
Bryce wrote:

I can live off the grid without issue these days. Solar works even in the cloudy Midwest. Solar doesn't require H*** plants. Solar isn't concerned about H*** line loss inefficiencies. Solar can be put on the roofs of buildings. Solar can be on the roof of every house in America. And solar is getting damn cheap. Panels are running $79. With storage and a BMS you can get into a system for less than what your electric bill costs and will last 30 plus years these days.
One power surge and all the invertors are toast. And no your insurance won't cover that.

I don't know any SMD technology that lasts 30 years. Lead free solder forms crystalline shorts in several years when exposed to heat and humidity.

Sounds like you have had to pivot on your work activities...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Bryce wrote:

Considering how long it takes to actually bring powerplants online (with all the regulations and NIMBY protests), we really need to start building out as many as we can ASAP. We MIGHT have enough to avoid the California situation. Otherwise the prices for electricity are going to skyrocket. This will raise the cost of living for all folks, regardless if you own an EV or not.

Perhaps we should "regulate" this like we do many other things, like commercial parking spots. You can't set up a commercial business in most localities unless you have enough parking for the employees and customers. Perhaps folks shouldn't be able to build and sell EVs until/unless there's enough generation capacity to support them! :D

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 pm
What about those who have older collectable cars? What will they run on when the gas stations close?
Gas stations aren't going to close in your lifetime... settle down. It's not like someone is going to come and round up your internal combustion engines January 1, 2035. Some car companies are going to phase into all-electric and some won't.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:37 pm

Bryce wrote:

I'm interested in seeing how the infrastructure to support all-electric develops as well. I love road trips and can't be confined to just my local bubble; which means I still rely on combustion engines. However, I'm excited to purchase an electric vehicle hopefully in the near future. I've test-driven electric in the past (unfortunately not Tesla), but I was really impressed with the handling and acceleration.
I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:22 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:37 pm
Bryce wrote:

I'm interested in seeing how the infrastructure to support all-electric develops as well. I love road trips and can't be confined to just my local bubble; which means I still rely on combustion engines. However, I'm excited to purchase an electric vehicle hopefully in the near future. I've test-driven electric in the past (unfortunately not Tesla), but I was really impressed with the handling and acceleration.
Buddy of mine leased a 2017 Chevy Volt and wanted a Tesla so he gave me a great deal buying out his lease. LOVE this car! 50 miles electric and then converts to gas. Can plug it in to charge in any outlet. Only time I've used the gas have been road trips. Took me almost a year to realize what side of the car the gas tank was on. Dunno why they stopped making that..it's the best of both worlds.
The censorship king from out of state.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:25 pm

Electric cars will be eventually cheap and throw-away.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:28 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:25 pm
:lol
The censorship king from out of state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:44 pm

audiophile wrote:
I highly doubt that. If anything the batteries will be cheap enough to easily replace every 15 years instead of 7. The technology gets better and better by the year.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:44 pm
audiophile wrote:
I highly doubt that. If anything the batteries will be cheap enough to easily replace every 15 years instead of 7. The technology gets better and better by the year.
our hybrid vehicle just broke 200 thousand miles, my daughter somewhat neglects it. My local mechanic is EV certified, and recently checked the cell condition. The batteries are 89%.

The batteries I just purchased for another project come with a 25 year guarantee based on a certain number of life cycles. They're getting more reliable than diesel.
― Matt

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:34 pm

So what happened to self-driving cars? A year ago this new upcoming technology was all the rage. Now you barely hear about it any more.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:03 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:19 pm
paul8539 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 pm
Gas stations aren't going to close in your lifetime... settle down. It's not like someone is going to come and round up your internal combustion engines January 1, 2035.
Did you take note on how Miss Whitmer had all restaurants here in Michigan closed to indoor dinning for 5 months during the last year?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic