Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Reddit users manipulating the stock market....and they're winning

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: Reddit users manipulating the stock market....and they're winning

Post by audiophile » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:12 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:56 am
Those hedgefund companies now owe billions for attempting to profit on suffering retailers. Good.
That's an overly simplistic view. If the prices go down it could open the way for a healthy buyer to assume control.

The chances of that happening now are zero.

Besides isn't AMC Chinese owned? So Reddit users are helping China? Niiiiice!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:30 am

My memory was correct, AMC is Chinese owned.

So let's play out this scenario, a Chinese blogger on Redditt convinces a bunch of wet-behind-the-ears investors to "stick it" to the big guy.

They do so and the Chinese owners sell their stock at a good price and laugh all the way to bank.. Hedge funds lose money which hurts elderly invested in them. AMC files for bankruptcy in August and wet-behind-ears investors lose everything as AMC closes it doors.

Scorecard:

Chinese 1

Elderly 0

Hedge Funds 0

wet-behind-ears investors 0

AMC 0
Last edited by audiophile on Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:32 am

I will say this - I have no sympathy for anybody who shorts a stock and then loses money. All the money being transferred in this massive short squeeze is away from hedge funds who shorted these stocks. And with Gamestop in particular, I definitely have no sympathy for you if you're shorting a stock with a short percent of shares outstanding over 100%. No other stock even comes close to this ratio.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:36 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:32 am
I will say this - I have no sympathy for anybody who shorts a stock and then loses money. All the money being transferred in this massive short squeeze is away from hedge funds who shorted these stocks.
Which is the reason I left the stock market prior to primary's. Too much election interference.

Waiting for big correction to return.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:47 am

I've been out of the market for about 5 months. Once I recovered my Covid-related losses, I took my money out of the market altogether.

I'm tempted to maybe throw $1,000 at Academy Sports & Outdoors once the market opens today. It's the one stock on the list I posted that has room to run (it is by far the least targeted stock thus far in this squeeze).

I wouldn't touch GME with a 10-foot pole. While it may surge past $500 today, it could just as easily crash back to $100. I suspect that many of the reddit folks may take their money and run today.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:56 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:32 am
I will say this - I have no sympathy for anybody who shorts a stock and then loses money. All the money being transferred in this massive short squeeze is away from hedge funds who shorted these stocks. And with Gamestop in particular, I definitely have no sympathy for you if you're shorting a stock with a short percent of shares outstanding over 100%. No other stock even comes close to this ratio.
Let's reframe this: I get where you are saying from an ethical standpoint, but this is absolutely market manipulation. Jen Psaki was asked if the administration was keeping an eye on what is going on, and her response was that we have the first woman secretary of treasury. Meanwhile, we have the administration focused on "major" issues such as virtue signaling on climate change, opening the southern border, and creating useless edicts that it doesn't follow. This manipulation should be right up there with fighting covid, should it not?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 am

Opinions vary on whether this constitutes illegal "manipulation." Jim Cramer on CNBC says it does not. While this is similar to a pump-and-dump scheme (the most common form of market manipulation), the big difference here is that the buying frenzy is NOT based on false information being posted on message boards, but rather, is targeted specifically at stocks that are overly sold short. Short squeezes are nothing new and have never been considered manipulation - what IS new is the speed at which large numbers of people can come together over the internet to accomplish a short squeeze.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:10 am

Should the practice of shorting be banned?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:10 am

kager wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:34 am
KOSS? The sh1t headphone maker?
Yep. And their stock is SOARING this morning. Up to $169 in the pre-market. It was a $4 stock just 3 days ago. That's an over 4,000 percent increase in less than 72 hours.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:13 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:10 am
I'm certainly no stock market expert, but I don't think that would be healthy for the market overall. What I HAVE seen proposed is setting limits on the amount any given stock can be shorted. Gamestop was a perfect candidate for such a limit.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:53 am

audiophile wrote:
Looks like RobinHood is banning - wait for it ------ the BUYING of certain stocks. You can still sell them, but not buy.

RobinHood is a new startup stock trading app that has seen its membership skyrocket in recent days. They had this to say this morning:
In light of recent volatility, we are restricting transactions for certain securities to position closing only, including $AMC, $BB, $BBBY, $EXPR, $GME, $KOSS, $NAKD and $NOK."
Can you do that? Can you allow only one-way trading? THAT seems like market manipulation to me. I've never heard of that kind of a restriction before.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am

Capitalism. How's that workin out for ya?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:49 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 am
Capitalism. How's that workin out for ya?
Pretty damn good for this guy...
GameStop's movement has driven significantly higher the net worth of Donald Foss, the now-retired founder of Southfield-based subprime auto lender Credit Acceptance Corp.

Foss took a 5.3% stake in GameStop in February 2020, according to federal regulatory filings, and has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of the stock's climb. He purchased more than 3.5 million shares in the company for about $12.5 million, when the stock was trading at under $4 per share.

As of Wednesday's close, 3.5 million shares would be worth more than $1.2 billion. Forbes pegs Foss's net worth at $2.5 billion, an increase of more than $670 million since close of trading Tuesday.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:59 am

audiophile wrote:
It won't make any difference. This entire event was precipitated by a sharpie Reddit user who saw that GME short interest was oversold by 140%. How do you get to 140%, when by legal means it would be impossible to have an equity shorted over 100%? Naked short selling. In other words, not owning/having claim to the shares you are shorting. Highly illegal but if you're a uber wealthy hedge fund manager or firm, rules don't apply to you.

I don't know how this will all play out but I'm happy the Reddit user that figured this out appears to now be up about $50M on a $55K gamble. I'm happy that Citron and Melvin Capitol who were major culprits in the shorting play are said to have lost about $1B for every $12 GME stock price rose. I'm unhappy with the general competency of financial journalism in our country who seems to be as clueless about the nature of this as they were back when the economy crashed because of the housing market (which by the way, wasn't that dissimilar to the root of what this GME thing is all about). The talking heads at CNBC, FOX Business and Bloomberg are fretting and thinking in terms of over how could this ever happen when GME's fundamentals and valuation don't support the run up, that this somehow must be a colluded effort or that it's some lefty insurrection on the market when in fact it's mostly a case of the folks they were having cocktails with last night got too greedy and got burned because technology for raw financial information made the playing field a little more level.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:27 pm

Looks like RobinHood is banning - wait for it ------ the BUYING of certain stocks. You can still sell them, but not buy.
Are those margin accounts or standard accounts? If they are margin accounts, it would be slightly understandable considering the exposure Robinhood would be taking if the buys were on Robinhood's dime.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic