Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Banning Assault Riffles and Background Checks - Now is the time!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Banning Assault Riffles and Background Checks - Now is the time!

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:54 pm

This is all well and good, but...
Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:38 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:29 pm
So it’s based on a fear that has little chance of actually coming true. Similar to dying from COVID. In fact the percentage odds are probably the same. Both events are extremely unlikely.
The chance at becoming a victim of a violent crime if you live in, say, Wayne, MI. is 1 in 139, Detroit a 1 in 50 and beautiful and scenic Muskegon Heights is a 1 in 46.

Back in June someone calculated that Michigan residents had a 1:2,321 chance of dying from Covid-19. I like my odds against Covid even though I have taken measures to prevent it. Why do you think it unreasonable for me to take measures to prevent myself or family becoming the victim of a violent crime?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:01 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:54 pm
This is all well and good, but...
Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:38 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:29 pm
So it’s based on a fear that has little chance of actually coming true. Similar to dying from COVID. In fact the percentage odds are probably the same. Both events are extremely unlikely.
The chance at becoming a victim of a violent crime if you live in, say, Wayne, MI. is 1 in 139, Detroit a 1 in 50 and beautiful and scenic Muskegon Heights is a 1 in 46.

Back in June someone calculated that Michigan residents had a 1:2,321 chance of dying from Covid-19. I like my odds against Covid even though I have taken measures to prevent it. Why do you think it unreasonable for me to take measures to prevent myself or family becoming the victim of a violent crime?
But what? Are you in any of the named places? Besides... my 1 in 139 really isn't very good odds. Are you sure that is city of Wayne as opposed to Wayne County? Even with that brick through my window I feel safe here. I didn't buy a gun. I bought a window.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:11 pm

Like I said Bryce, I'm not the one to ask. Any answer I'm going to offer you you will try to pull apart anyhow.

Guns kill too many people. And since they're only purpose is for "hunting", that is a problem.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:37 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:01 pm
But what? Are you in any of the named places? Besides... my 1 in 139 really isn't very good odds. Are you sure that is city of Wayne as opposed to Wayne County? Even with that brick through my window I feel safe here. I didn't buy a gun. I bought a window.
Those indeed are the numbers for the City of Wayne from 2019.

Not only do I travel to many of the cities in the state of Michigan, I am normally in the high crime rate areas of those cities, so my odds are probably higher. Couple that with the fact that I'm in the "impressive" age group, a group perceived to be easy pickins in the mind of the opportunistic criminal, along with the late model of my vehicle, my odds may even tick up a bit more.
Rate This wrote:
Even with that brick through my window I feel safe here. I didn't buy a gun. I bought a window.
Hopefully, you will never experience a home invasion or get caught in the middle of an armed robbery. If some day you do, you may change your mind.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:46 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:11 pm
Like I said Bryce, I'm not the one to ask. Any answer I'm going to offer you you will try to pull apart anyhow.
Just presenting the facts mam.
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:11 pm
Guns kill too many people. And since they're only purpose is for "hunting", that is a problem.
A gun hasn't ever killed anyone. The person firing it does that. All too often, the person doing the firing is someone that not only is using that gun illegally they are prohibited by current law from even HAVING the gun in the first place. More laws aren't going to change that. Stiffer sentences for illegal use has a much better chance on reducing gun violence than new or more laws.

A firearm is simply a tool. As jetliners, they can be used for good and/or evil. They do have a purpose for hunting but they also have a purpose of protecting the hunted from the hunter. As long as the evil among us has access, the good among us must have the option to choose to do so too.

See what I did there? I'm Pro Choice!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:06 pm

No one needs anything more than a pistol for home defense. Ban anything else.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:33 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:37 pm
Rate This wrote:
Those indeed are the numbers for the City of Wayne from 2019.

Not only do I travel to many of the cities in the state of Michigan, I am normally in the high crime rate areas of those cities, so my odds are probably higher. Couple that with the fact that I'm in the "impressive" age group, a group perceived to be easy pickins in the mind of the opportunistic criminal, along with the late model of my vehicle, my odds may even tick up a bit more.
Rate This wrote:
Even with that brick through my window I feel safe here. I didn't buy a gun. I bought a window.
Hopefully, you will never experience a home invasion or get caught in the middle of an armed robbery. If some day you do, you may change your mind.
I have nothing worth killing someone nor anything worth taking.

You will be heartened to know that I did speak to a friend of mine about learning how to use a gun and doing some shooting to try it out in the wake of the window incident.
Last edited by Rate This on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:06 pm
No one needs anything more than a pistol for home defense. Ban anything else.
And if multiple home invaders have semi auto rifles and you're stuck with a six round wheel gun?

But I guess you do have a point. This is my home defense pistol.
With the rear stock removed, it's classified as a pistol. Nice eh?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:48 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:33 pm

I have nothing worth killing someone nor anything worth taking.

You will be heartened to know that I did speak to a friend of mine about learning how to use a gun and doing some shooting to try it out in the wake of the window incident.
Lethal force should never be used to protect property. In fact, if you do so in the State of Michigan, you will be charged with some form of murder. Lethal force is only to be used when your life or someone else's life is in danger. As well as threat of rape to yourself or someone else as well as danger of great bodily harm.

I am on board with this 99% I'm not completely on board because in the State of Michigan my dog's are considered property. I'm not allowed to defend them.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 pm

So if all those "safe guards" are in place, why are gun deaths out of hand?

Sound like the system isn't working. The excuse you offer is similar to that of "I'm a good driver so we don't need safety features on our cars or driver tests"

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:21 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 pm
So if all those "safe guards" are in place, why are gun deaths out of hand?

Sound like the system isn't working. The excuse you offer is similar to that of "I'm a good driver so we don't need safety features on our cars or driver tests"
Keep in mind, no matter how many safety features we put in automobiles or testing drivers and requiring them to be licensed, people that aren't supposed to be legally driving still do and cause accidents.

I think instead of using your term "gun deaths" we should look at gun violence and concentrate on reducing that. Although there are more guns in peoples hands, accidental deaths are down while gun homicides and gun violence is up. Much of the current rise in gun related deaths are caused by people that possess a gun illegally (as high as 80%) and are done by a small number of recidivist violent offenders, especially in urban areas. If we put more emphasis on removing guns from the hands of people that shouldn't have them and spend less time arguing about wholesale bans it would produce an immediate positive effect.

Location, location, location, is not just for real estate anymore. Several studies conducted from FBI crime statistics show that 50 percent of the murders that take place in the U.S. occur in 2% of the nations over 3,000 counties. Over 50% of the nations counties have no murders in a calendar year. Resources directed to remove the illegal guns located in these 2 percenters would have an big effect on bringing the numbers down. Back when N.Y. City instituted "Stop and Frisk" gun violence dropped quite rapidly as did crime over all. Some people can't stand a good thing.

State Rep. John Cherry (D) Flint, is in the process of introducing legislation to encourage safe handling of firearms in the home and restricting access to children. I support this legislation except I don't think it goes far enough. Michigan needs law similar to N.Y. that would make it a crime if firearms aren't locked up in a home with a child under 16 years of age. I don't have young children in my household any longer, but even so, firearm safety is paramount with me as it should be with any gun owner. My pistols are either on my person in a quality holster or locked in a quick access safe along with my rifles and shotguns when not. People need to understand that ownership of a firearm comes with the understanding that you are responsible for ANY discharge that firearm makes. If you aren't in direct control of that firearm, it must be secured.

Lastly, I think we should encourage more law abiding, competent citizens, to get firearms safety and usage training (I suggest 50 hours worth) to be able to legally carry a firearm, concealed, in public. Concealed weapons permit holders are among the most law abiding citizen there are. The general public commits crimes at a rate of 3,813 per hundred thousand people. Police officers commit crimes at a rate of 103 per hundred thousand officers. Concealed carry permit holders commit crimes at a rate of 28 to 53 (depending on the study and if you use arrests or convictions) per hundred thousand.

By the way, the title of this thread is;
Banning Assault Riffles and Background Checks - Now is the time!

Why do you want to ban background checks? I think they're quite important.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:10 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:57 am
A gun derived from a rifle used in a military assault. These exist. Just like each of a thousand other things the military came up with and then transferred the technology to private hands a couple decades later.
I'll admit I haven't done all the research to support this suggestion, but I'd bet there's a case to be made that all (or most) of the "military assault rifles" are actually derivations of civilian guns.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:44 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:10 am
Rate This wrote:
A gun derived from a rifle used in a military assault. These exist. Just like each of a thousand other things the military came up with and then transferred the technology to private hands a couple decades later.
I'll admit I haven't done all the research to support this suggestion, but I'd bet there's a case to be made that all (or most) of the "military assault rifles" are actually derivations of civilian guns.
An interesting counter argument...

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:30 pm

km1125 wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Yeah, and the biggest difference is that civilians by and large don't have enough training and sometimes shoddy background checks unlike our military.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:35 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:30 pm
km1125 wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Yeah, and the biggest difference is that civilians by and large don't have enough training and sometimes shoddy background checks unlike our military.
You're an expert on the military and firearms now?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic