Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump's speech does not rise to the level of incitement

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Trump's speech does not rise to the level of incitement

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:04 pm

So says Danny Cevallos of NBC News.
Punishable incitement must "specifically advocate" for listeners to take unlawful action, give the crowd detailed instructions on how to break the law, or enlist the crowd to carry out a criminal act, the high court has said.

Under the Supreme Court's Brandenburg test, speech cannot constitute incitement unless the speaker intends lawlessness to result.

Some, including senators in Trump's trial, will point out that the rioters stormed the Capitol after hearing Trump's speech. To them, the evidence that the speech incited violence is apparent: there was violence after it.

But defining the speech by the audience's reaction, however, may be an unconstitutional "heckler’s veto," as a legal doctrine is known. The heckler's veto doctrine provides that the hostile reaction of a crowd does not transform protected speech into incitement. A speaker is not automatically liable for the acts of anyone who was at an intended peaceful demonstration. Rather, the speaker must have the intent to engage in the criminal conduct.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... e-n1254258

Honeyman

Re: Trump's speech does not rise to the level of incitement

Post by Honeyman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and others have had a different interpretation of the law. Personally, I don't think this will ever go to trial. However, it certainly appears that Trump has already lost in the court of public opinion.

The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:14 pm

It certainly had the effect of inciting a mob.

Trump thanked the mob afterward saying "We love you. You're very special."

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:21 pm

Another important fact. According to the Washington Post's timeline of the day. The Capitol was breached well before Trumps speech ended. Trumpsters don't leave while "the man" is still speaking.

Also, according to CNN...
Evidence uncovered so far, including weapons and tactics seen on surveillance video, suggests a level of planning that has led investigators to believe the attack on the US Capitol was not just a protest that spiraled out of control, a federal law enforcement official says.

Among the evidence the FBI is examining are indications that some participants at the Trump rally at the Ellipse, outside the White House, left the event early, perhaps to retrieve items to be used in the assault on the Capitol.
Lets also remember how much the "facts" have changed after the dust has settled with any number of events. Remember how Benghazi was a "protest" because of a YouTube video. Susan Rice told us so, many times. Turned out to be planned well in advance. Hands Up Don't Shoot was another.

I want to know who shot Ms. Babbitt. I've seen several videos of the shooting, from a number of angles. You all know I give law enforcement every benefit of the doubt, but this was outright negligent homicide at best. Why are they slow walking this? I swear, if Ms. Bobbitt had a slightly darker skin color, there would be protests outside the Capitol 24-hours a day. Why does no one seem to care?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:24 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:21 pm
Another important fact. According to the Washington Post's timeline of the day. The Capitol was breached well before Trumps speech ended. Trumpsters don't leave while "the man" is still speaking.

Also, according to CNN...
Evidence uncovered so far, including weapons and tactics seen on surveillance video, suggests a level of planning that has led investigators to believe the attack on the US Capitol was not just a protest that spiraled out of control, a federal law enforcement official says.

Among the evidence the FBI is examining are indications that some participants at the Trump rally at the Ellipse, outside the White House, left the event early, perhaps to retrieve items to be used in the assault on the Capitol.
Lets also remember how much the "facts" have changed after the dust has settled with any number of events. Remember how Benghazi was a "protest" because of a YouTube video. Susan Rice told us so, many times. Turned out to be planned well in advance. Hands Up Don't Shoot was another.

I want to know who shot Ms. Babbitt. I've seen several videos of the shooting, from a number of angles. You all know I give law enforcement every benefit of the doubt, but this was outright negligent homicide at best. Why are they slow walking this? I swear, if Ms. Bobbitt had a slightly darker skin color, there would be protests outside the Capitol 24-hours a day. Why does no one seem to care?
The other slam dunk would be the cop would walk...

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Bryce wrote:
I swear, if Ms. Bobbitt had a slightly darker skin color, there would be protests outside the Capitol 24-hours a day. Why does no one seem to care?
I think another interesting question is, would YOU care as much about this had darker skin color been in play here and the cause was something you didn't agree with? I've seen more than a couple instances of "negligent homicide" by police officers in my day but it typically gets explained away with the "if the victim would've just done what they were told this wouldn't have happened!!"

There's gonna be a lot of questions that get answered about all this shit that went down last week...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 pm

The problem is he spent months chumming the water. So his words that day are a small part of a bigger picture.

I no longer directly engage trolls

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Trump is forever F’d.

And republicans who won’t exit off his four year long freeway of lies and whitey supremacy are also F’d.

Both the inciter and his enablers are tightly bound together in the F’d “basket of deplorables.”

Justice.
At last!

Watch ‘em squirm like worms to distance and exonerate themselves.

Sorry sickos. You’ve doomed yourselves to history’s inescapable lock box of infamy.
Last edited by screen glare on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:51 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 pm
The problem is he spent months chumming the water. So his words that day are a small part of a bigger picture.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:07 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 pm
Bryce wrote:
I swear, if Ms. Bobbitt had a slightly darker skin color, there would be protests outside the Capitol 24-hours a day. Why does no one seem to care?
I think another interesting question is, would YOU care as much about this had darker skin color been in play here and the cause was something you didn't agree with? I've seen more than a couple instances of "negligent homicide" by police officers in my day but it typically gets explained away with the "if the victim would've just done what they were told this wouldn't have happened!!"

There's gonna be a lot of questions that get answered about all this shit that went down last week...
Yes, yes I would. If the actions don't meet the threshold of "use of deadly force" I don't care who the person is or what the individual looks like. There are both legal and moral issues at play in the use of deadly force. I don't believe either one was satisfied in this instance. That young lady was not an imminent threat to the officer or anyone around him. The only thing he can claim, in my estimation, is "Fog of War." At the level he was working, that shouldn't be a valid excuse. It's not like this officer was some backwoods Sherriff's Deputy.

I just don't understand why I seem the only one concerned about this. There doesn't seem to be anyone questioning this or upset about it.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 pm

You seem to be in disbelief about a lot of things right now Bryce. Give TM a try.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:32 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 pm
Give TM a try.
Sorry, I only say Ohm when working with conductors.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:34 pm

Maybe play with your dogs more then. You're going off the deep end.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:51 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 pm
This looks more like what Democrat governors are doing to individual rights and small businesses during COVID.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 pm

Deep end?

The homicide of 13-year Air Force Veteran by a member of Capitol security doesn't warrant any attention? I'm flabbergasted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic