Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Masks don't work.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Masks don't work.

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:49 am

We now have 9 full months of data. Real word data. Based on observations. Do masks slow the spread of Coronavirus?

Observed mask usage?
Sweden - 1 in 25 people
United States - 3 in 4 people

Daily infection rate? Rates were comparable early on. During the summer months, Sweden's rate fell to next to nothing. During this winter's second wave, Sweden's daily infection rate per capita remains about 40 percent lower than ours and is projected to remain lower than ours, even with projected mask usage remaining the same.

And this data doesn't even account for reduced social distancing in Sweden due to more businesses being open (in particular, bars and restaurants).

Bottom line - lockdowns don't work. Masks don't work. We're destroying certain segments of our economy and giving away our freedoms for NOTHING IN RETURN.

Looking at that data, it looks like summer weather had a FAR LARGER impact on slowing the spread (like, orders of magnitude) than did anything we tried to do artificially to slow it down.

TC Talks

Re: Masks don't work.

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:09 pm

Hmmm, amazing but not supported by science. There is no factoring for the impact the virus has on different ethnicities or management of the virus. Neither can be a valid control.

Then, there is behavior AND how Sweden has regulated since deciding that hurd immunity was a mistake.

2019 U.S. Census Bureau Estimates
Self-identified race Percent of population
Non-Hispanic white 60.1%
Hispanic and Latino (of any race) 18.5%
Black or African American 13.4%
Asian 5.9%
Two or more races 2.8%
Native Americans and Alaska Natives. 1.3%
Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders 0.2%

2019 Swedish Ethnicity
Swedish 93% (White)
Finland (1.45%) (White)
Poland (0.91%)(White)
Syria (1.82%)
Iraq (1.41%)
Iran (0.76%)
Somalia (0.67%)

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:43 pm

This is an infection rate chart, not a death chart. I know that the mortality rate is higher among minorities, but I'm not aware of data suggesting that white people are less likely to contract the virus.

As to "regulation," while Sweden has imposed some regulations in recent weeks, they still pale in comparison in scope to the regulations that exist in many parts of the US.

Considering that bars and restaurants remain open in Sweden and that virtually nobody is wearing masks while out in public, you would expect the infection rate to be significantly higher than here, no? I mean, we've been led to believe that mass gatherings at bars and restaurants where people don't adhere to social distancing is basically a breeding ground for the virus to run rampant and out of control. Yet, that doesn't appear to he happening in Sweden.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Here’s what happens over and over and over again.

Anti-maskers get sick with COVID and even as they die are not convinced the Coronavirus is killing them. Driving the health care professionals attending them to feel like giving up.

After these virus-deniers croak - gasping for oxygen - their families warn everyone to please change their ways and take this pandemic seriously. Some use the dead loved one’s obituary to beg virus-deniers to please wake up and mask up.

I’ll go with that evidence.
As I live in America where ICU beds are scarce.
Not f-ing Sweden.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:53 pm

So, before this most recent lock down, Michigan had over 9,000 cases a day. The last 3 days, Michigan had under 9000 cases total. Unless you are Bidet, the math should be easy for this one. Lock downs work and also stop the exponential spread of COVID. Being that mask wearing doesn't change, you have to increase people social distancing. This is the sure fire way to do it. I say keep the lock downs until May. During this time, we can get people vaccinated and enjoy our summer.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:45 am

9000 a day? Wow. In Ontario, we're locked down again after we got up to 3000 a day.

I hate covid. >: >: >: >:

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 am

The continued mask debate is a waste of time at this point. For every chart that shows they don't work, you can find one that shows they do work. What it all boils down to is personal responsibility. Are you will to use whatever chart you find to back up that they don't work and risk other people's lives? If the answer is yes then don't wear one. It becomes further useless as President Biden will introduce a nationwide mandate when he takes office. Of course there will be states that defy the mandate but thankfully people can and do think for themselves.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:09 am

It would appear that lockdowns don't work either.
LONDON (AP) — The UK has registered a record 57,725 daily coronavirus cases.

Government figures show the UK has recorded five straight daily highs — all above 50,000 and nearly double the levels of two weeks ago.
I have two associates that live in the U.K. According to them the lockdown measures they have been under have them feeling like prisoners in their own home. Doesn't seem to be accomplishing much.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:44 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:53 pm
I say keep the lock downs until May. During this time, we can get people vaccinated and enjoy our summer.
This is a terrible suggestion. Open back up tomorrow.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 15475

Post by Deleted User 15475 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:18 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:44 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:53 pm
I say keep the lock downs until May. During this time, we can get people vaccinated and enjoy our summer.
This is a terrible suggestion. Open back up tomorrow.

I've heard being on a respirator is an interesting experience, although I've heard the same of heroine but the temptation doesn't excite me.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:13 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:09 am

Government figures show the UK has recorded five straight daily highs — all above 50,000 and nearly double the levels of two weeks ago.
I have two associates that live in the U.K. According to them the lockdown measures they have been under have them feeling like prisoners in their own home. Doesn't seem to be accomplishing much.
Part of the problem is... oh I don’t know... GOING OUTSIDE ANYWAYS...

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:53 pm

I wonder if Sweden and America may be an apples and oranges comparison.
How close together are folks there? What's the rate in just Wyoming or just Alaska?
I don't know the answer. It's just what I ponder as I read this thread.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm

I wonder how many sick people got worse and then ended up dying because they were forced (or coerced) into wearing a mask TOO much or TOO often?

It certainly makes sense at some times and in some places, but "too much" can be damaging too. If YOU are infected and are coughing out virus particles that get caught by a mask, where do those end up when you inhale? Quite possible they end up in the remaining uninfected portions of your airways, allowing the virus to spread throughout your system quicker.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:37 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:13 pm
Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:09 am

Part of the problem is... oh I don’t know... GOING OUTSIDE ANYWAYS...
Right...

Lockdowns don't work

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:19 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm
I wonder how many sick people got worse and then ended up dying because they were forced (or coerced) into wearing a mask TOO much or TOO often?

It certainly makes sense at some times and in some places, but "too much" can be damaging too. If YOU are infected and are coughing out virus particles that get caught by a mask, where do those end up when you inhale? Quite possible they end up in the remaining uninfected portions of your airways, allowing the virus to spread throughout your system quicker.
:lol :lol :lol Stop it. Just stop. You are embarrassing yourself.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic