Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Stimulus Package is Done - 900B

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Stimulus Package is Done - 900B

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm

It's really a 400B package when you read McConnell's comments. They got something done but I imagine it's pretty messed up, here are the details right after the package was announced. It'll be interesting to see what other garbage is buried in the fine print.
Although text was not immediately available, the agreement was expected to provide stimulus payments of $600 to American adults and children and revive supplemental federal unemployment benefits at $300 per week — half the level of aid delivered by the $2.2 trillion stimulus law enacted in March, as the coronavirus pandemic’s devastating health and economic impact was just coming into focus.

It would extend two federal unemployment programs that expanded and extended regular benefits, and would have lapsed next week without action by Congress. The agreement will most likely provide for rental and food assistance, as well as billions of dollars for schools and small businesses, reviving the Paycheck Protection Program, a federal loan program that lapsed this year.

Notably absent from the final compromise were the two thorniest policy impediments that had stood in its way for months. In order to secure a deal just before Christmas and allow Congress to adjourn, Republicans agreed to drop a sweeping coronavirus liability shield and Democrats agreed to omit a direct stream of aid to state and local governments.

While the deal marked a triumphant moment in talks that had long been stalled, it was far narrower than the one Democrats had long insisted upon, and nearly twice the size of the one Republicans had said they could ever accept in the days leading up to the November election. Democrats had refused for months to scale back their demands for a multitrillion-dollar package, citing the devastating toll of the virus, and Republicans dug in against another large infusion of federal aid, pointing to the growing deficit.

In a nod to conservative concerns about the overall price of a package, the legislation is expected to repurpose more than $500 billion previously allocated under previous stimulus packages, Mr. McConnell said.

But in the end, the crucial breakthrough came just before midnight on Saturday, when Republicans dropped an effort to ban the Federal Reserve from establishing certain emergency lending programs to help stabilize the economy in the future.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Re: Stimulus Package is Done - 900B

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm
It's really a 400B package when you read McConnell's comments. They got something done but I imagine it's pretty messed up, here are the details right after the package was announced. It'll be interesting to see what other garbage is buried in the fine print.
Although text was not immediately available, the agreement was expected to provide stimulus payments of $600 to American adults and children and revive supplemental federal unemployment benefits at $300 per week — half the level of aid delivered by the $2.2 trillion stimulus law enacted in March, as the coronavirus pandemic’s devastating health and economic impact was just coming into focus.

It would extend two federal unemployment programs that expanded and extended regular benefits, and would have lapsed next week without action by Congress. The agreement will most likely provide for rental and food assistance, as well as billions of dollars for schools and small businesses, reviving the Paycheck Protection Program, a federal loan program that lapsed this year.

Notably absent from the final compromise were the two thorniest policy impediments that had stood in its way for months. In order to secure a deal just before Christmas and allow Congress to adjourn, Republicans agreed to drop a sweeping coronavirus liability shield and Democrats agreed to omit a direct stream of aid to state and local governments.

While the deal marked a triumphant moment in talks that had long been stalled, it was far narrower than the one Democrats had long insisted upon, and nearly twice the size of the one Republicans had said they could ever accept in the days leading up to the November election. Democrats had refused for months to scale back their demands for a multitrillion-dollar package, citing the devastating toll of the virus, and Republicans dug in against another large infusion of federal aid, pointing to the growing deficit.

In a nod to conservative concerns about the overall price of a package, the legislation is expected to repurpose more than $500 billion previously allocated under previous stimulus packages, Mr. McConnell said.

But in the end, the crucial breakthrough came just before midnight on Saturday, when Republicans dropped an effort to ban the Federal Reserve from establishing certain emergency lending programs to help stabilize the economy in the future.
Sounds like you are micromanaging our elected officials. I thought you didn't do that? They have way more experience on legislation than you do.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:28 pm

Weeee...

I get another check! Think I'll buy another firearm and stimulate the economy of a local business.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:31 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:28 pm
Weeee...

I get another check! Think I'll buy another firearm and stimulate the economy of a local business.
I will be investing in my local ESR fund.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:36 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:56 pm

Sounds like you are micromanaging our elected officials. I thought you didn't do that? They have way more experience on legislation than you do.
I'm wait and see as I stated.

― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:34 pm

You don't trust them?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

G G

Post by G G » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:36 pm

I know something had to be done but I would prefer a smaller package on this.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Twitter says that the deduction for the '3 martini lunch' was a GOP request and it got put in. That will help all the folks facing eviction.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:39 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:31 pm
Bryce wrote:
Weeee...

Really? I thought for sure you would donate it to the United Negro College Fund.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:41 pm

tapeisrolling wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:37 pm
Twitter says that the deduction for the '3 martini lunch' was a GOP request and it got put in. That will help all the folks facing eviction.
Hey, bar and lounge operators could use the help. There is all most no happy hour business anymore like there used to be in the 80's and 90's because business lost that write off.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:45 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:41 pm
tapeisrolling wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:37 pm
Hey, bar and lounge operators could use the help. There is all most no happy hour business anymore like there used to be in the 80's and 90's because business lost that write off.
When your biggest employers are retail entities the whole happy hour thing seems a far off place of non-existent professionals.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Awesome - keep printing money we don't have, to give to people so they don't completely revolt against oppression.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:53 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:31 pm
Bryce wrote:
Weeee...

I thought conservatives said we all hated investment funds. Imagine that....

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:24 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:17 pm
Awesome - keep printing money we don't have, to give to people so they don't completely revolt against oppression.
My favorite COVID response: The bill also includes $1.4 billion in new funding for Trump’s border wall with Mexico and new border security technology, Scalise said. - good thing they're building that wall to keep the covid out

So it sounds like you're with me that we need to eliminate the tax cuts for billionaires?
In the two years since the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 took effect on Jan. 1, 2018, the annual U.S. federal deficit has grown from $681 billion to a bit over $1 trillion, according to numbers released last week by the Treasury Department.

Did the tax cuts cause the deficit increase? At first glance, no. Federal revenue in calendar year 2019 was $154 billion higher than in calendar year 2017, while spending rose $494 billion
Bloomberg

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:08 pm

The best commentary about the stimulus so far...

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic