Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What are the chances of Trump ending up in an orange jumpsuit?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 pm

The Following is the opinion of columnist Lawrence Martin. I'm not representing it as being fact.

Having lost the presidential election, Donald Trump now faces the possibility of a defeat more ruinous. No American president has ever been charged, let alone convicted, of a criminal offence. But that’s a torment that potentially awaits him.

Though he has rung up many outlandish firsts as an Oval Office occupant, Mr. Trump’s donning of a jumpsuit the colour of his face would top them all.

On departing the White House on Jan. 20, he leaves prosecutorial immunity behind and is open to indictments. Should he issue himself a presidential pardon – which may not even be legally allowed – that pardon would apply only to federal, not state convictions.

In New York, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr.’s two-year investigation into Mr. Trump on charges reportedly involving bank and tax fraud could result in indictments shortly after he leaves office.

Danya Perry, a former deputy attorney-general for the State of New York who headed a commission into public corruption, said in an interview that indictments were likely. “The money is on some set of charges.”

While some suggest the criminal prosecution of a president would be too wrenching for an already bitterly divided country, she said that having spent so much time on the probe, it is unlikely Mr. Vance will succumb to any pressure to abandon it.

“He could have a sealed indictment already,” she said.

However, Mr. Vance is not, as Ms. Perry noted, reputed to be an aggressive district attorney. He was criticized for ordering his prosecutors to drop a criminal-fraud investigation against Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr. in 2012 and for being cautious in the pursuit of Harvey Weinstein on sexual-assault charges. Taking down a president would readily see that reputation upended.

Mr. Trump is fortunate in that he is likely to escape any prosecutorial action at the federal level. President-elect Joe Biden has indicated it would be too disruptive to prosecute a former president.

It would indeed “suck up too much of Biden’s political capital,” said Kimberly Wehle, a law professor and former federal prosecutor. It’s better that a prosecution of Mr. Trump is done at the state level, she added. From what she sees of the state’s case, Mr. Trump is “absolutely vulnerable.”

Given Mr. Biden’s lenient position, Mr. Trump doesn’t really need to try pardoning himself but Ms. Perry and Prof. Wehle believe he will do so anyway – the action being in keeping with his wrecking-ball approach.

The New York case against him stems from ties to his long-time lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen, who pleaded guilty to several crimes, including hush money payments in 2016 to women with whom Mr. Trump had affairs. Because sitting presidents cannot be indicted, Mr. Trump could not be charged in Washington. But New York took over and the investigation of him expanded beyond the hush money intrigue.

In an August court filing, Mr. Vance sought to subpoena Mr. Trump’s tax records and financial records. The President is fighting their release in the courts. Ms. Perry said she would be very surprised if Mr. Vance did not have some of his state and local tax records already.

In addition to the Vance probe, New York Attorney-General Letitia James is investigating whether the Trump Organization inflated the value of its assets in seeking loans and insurance and then deflated the value in order to reduce tax liability. It’s a civil case but could evolve into a criminal one, depending on the findings.

Proving a charge against Mr. Trump will not be easy because, as Michael Cohen has revealed, he is careful not to leave paper trails or other records.

One leader convicted of tax fraud was former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi. He was sentenced in 2012 to four years in jail but ended up doing just one year of community service at a home for the elderly.

Some, such as the President’s niece, Mary Trump, and Barbara Rees, his long-time work associate, say that rather than face weighty charges, Mr. Trump would flee to a foreign haven with no extradition treaty with the United States.

But he has an extraordinary track record for extricating himself from legal and financial infernos and may be able to pull off yet another great escape this time.

Judging from what those in the know are saying, it would be surprising if the cases against him were dropped but equally surprising if Mr. Trump ended up behind bars.

More likely is something in-between. Lesser charges perhaps that come with a community-service sentence. Something like, say, a year’s janitorial work cleaning public lavatories in Manhattan.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... nyLar3s6x6

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14896

Re: What are the chances of Trump ending up in an orange jumpsuit?

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:59 pm

Not going to happen.
I've said it before. Biden will pardon him. I know most are reading this and busting a gut laughing thinking "Yeah, right" and thinking I'm a bonehead. But a Prez will take care of a Prez. It's a brotherhood. Barack, Willie, Jimmy and George. They would of done the same as Joe is going to do.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:12 pm

A President can not pardon someone for state crimes. Trump won't likely be convicted of Federal crimes.

He doesn't have many friends left in New York state.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:16 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:59 pm
Not going to happen.
I've said it before. Biden will pardon him. I know most are reading this and busting a gut laughing thinking "Yeah, right" and thinking I'm a bonehead. But a Prez will take care of a Prez. It's a brotherhood. Barack, Willie, Jimmy and George. They would of done the same as Joe is going to do.
The investigations of him at the state level will be unaffected.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:25 pm

After railing against Trump's interference in DOJ how could Biden justify any intervention if his DOJ decides to go after Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:18 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:25 pm
After railing against Trump's interference in DOJ how could Biden justify any intervention if his DOJ decides to go after Trump?
He can’t and he’s already said he won’t interfere one way or the other.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:23 am

He's going to be in the NY state pen. I hope Putin doesn't have allies in there. That would be a shame.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 am

I think that, one way or another, Trump will leave with a pardon. Likely he''ll retire on Jan 19 due to a new flare up of bone spurs, and President Pence will grant him a Pardon.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:32 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 am
I think that, one way or another, Trump will leave with a pardon. Likely he''ll retire on Jan 19 due to a new flare up of bone spurs, and President Pence will grant him a Pardon.
Watch, you’ll be right.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:01 am

Trump has fired himself. And soon he’ll make himself incompatible with freedom. Yep. He’ll find himself restrained and muzzled - either in an orange jumpsuit, or a straight jacket.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:12 am

Since you persist in lies anyway about Russia, maybe Putin will grant him asylum. That would piss those idiot NY prosecutors off. Plus it would be a monumental worldwide embarrassment to Biden Harris Obama, etc. which they completely deserve. Remember when they granted Gorbachev asylum in the US? He's never shut up, and neither would Trump.

Prosecuting Trump would lower the US world reputation to the level of a Third World Country. So many of you hate this country, maybe that's what you want.That's what they do in Banana Republics.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:21 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 am
So which way is it?
President Biden can't pardon state crimes?
President Pence can?

Thanks TC for pointing out about pardon power. I should of read the article throughout before replying.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:32 am

Trump can pardon himself for any crime except impeachment.

Maybe the department of Justice will present findings that Trump had committed crimes but I doubt they will pursue the charges.

Meanwhile, there are several states where he has committed crimes. Those charges will not go away and he cannot pardon them nor can any other President.

Since they are all white collar crime, and he certainly is not afraid of spending money on lawyers, there will be financial damages but I doubt he will serve any time in jail.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic