Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Big Oil seeking Net Zero policy

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Big Oil seeking Net Zero policy

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:50 pm

While some here continue to keep their head in the sand, the Oil Industry wants a Net Zero carbon policy.

Why don't we just let them have it?
Five of the UK’s biggest energy companies are lobbying Boris Johnson to match US president-elect Joe Biden’s clean energy ambitions and set a deadline to slash emissions from Britain’s power system to net zero.

BP, Royal Dutch Shell, National Grid, SSE and Drax want the government to set the target ahead of the UN COP26 climate summit in Glasgow next year, following Mr Biden’s pledge during the US election campaign to decarbonise his country’s electricity system by 2035.

“The electricity sector will be the backbone of our net zero economy,” they wrote in a letter to the prime minister and cabinet ministers on Monday, pointing out that Britain’s actions against climate change so far had encouraged “similar international actions”.

“To build on these and continue UK leadership on electricity sector decarbonisation, we call on the UK to commit to a date for a net zero power system ahead of COP26, to match the commitment of the US president-elect’s clean energy plan.” The letter is also backed by the Singapore-headquartered energy group Sembcorp.

Alistair Phillips-Davies, SSE’s chief executive, said a target would help “focus industry and investors’ minds on the job in hand”.
https://www.ft.com/content/66ac52e2-e9a ... 268309b579

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Re: Big Oil seeking Net Zero policy

Post by audiophile » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 pm

You must have skipped electronics and physics class.

No way without nuclear power expansion this will happen by 2035 (unless you going to count natural gas from fracking as carbon neutral.)

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:26 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:11 pm
You must have skipped electronics and physics class.

No way without nuclear power expansion this will happen by 2035 (unless you going to count natural gas from fracking as carbon neutral.)
Wow you might want to look into wind and solar. I have friends who have lived without utilities since March. Solar cell efficiency and battery storage these days are pretty amazing when you use 48 volt appliances and a mini split geo thermal heat pump.

Many people drive Tesla's and live off the grid without any problem. Even in states as cloudy as Michigan

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:41 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:26 pm

Wow you might want to look into wind and solar.
Is that how you power your home? Why not? How about your restored hot rods? Have a windmill on the trunk do you?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:28 pm

While clean and renewable energy sources are fantastic, I think the costs associated with them are quite astronomical for the majority of consumers. I think more effort should be put into those sources rather than rely on old and outdated dirty methods of energy like fossil fuels and coal. We have come a long way since the heyday of drilling for oil and mining for coal. It's about time that we use today's technology for a better tomorrow. If our country had the majority of our energy coming from right here we wouldn't need to rely on foreign sources and suffer the price spikes from geopolitical events. My only reservations about wind energy is the enormous size of the wind turbines. They are all over central Michigan and the thumb area. I see the need for clean energy, however I think those turbines are eyesores dotting the landscape of the farm fields. I would much prefer the lower profile of solar panels.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:35 pm

I'm wondering if Britain still runs a lot of coal plants and this is just a move to push them to Natural Gas. More like a marketing move than an ecology one.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:30 pm

I have no issues with people using wind and solar for their homes if they choose. They shouldn’t be subsidized, just like gas, oil, nuclear, etc shouldn’t either.

For a large area, I don’t see wind and solar being the best option in Michigan. Yes, the technology is better now than ten years ago, but I don’t think it’s there to power a whole city or metro area.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:35 pm

The fact is that wind and most solar are just not practical for suburban and urban areas now. Plenty of room in the country for them to function well if given enough room. Just not practical otherwise. Things need to change, but the technology and innovation are not there yet without further breakthroughs.

The big turbines may not cause cancer like Dump said, but a lot of birds are injured and killed.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:51 am

Agreed.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic