Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Please explain..

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
zzand

Re: Please explain..

Post by zzand » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:33 am

I am fine, you are the one up in arms over people harping on media calling the winner. Not sure where your court packing comes from as that has nothing to do with the discussion. The National Committee would come into play in cases like the Gore election and this one where it is disputed. As for polling? after the last two presidential only a fool would trust any poll.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:47 am

zzand wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:56 am
Wrong then and now. We need a National Election Commission who is the authority on calling the winner. As a member of the media I have never thought the media should be in charge of calling the winner especially in this era when most slant one way or the other. I started feeling that a National Commission was needed back during the Gore debacle. Sorry that I don't feel the way you do that the media is the final word, our job is to report facts and the facts only not be king or queen makers.
Good luck. That’s too radical for most people.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am

We absolutely do not need a "national election commission" to call a winner. That would just be one more political swamp and an attempt to federalize the USA. We are not China nor Russia. The rules are clear on who actually calls the winner. It's the media self-proclaiming their pronouncements as "fact" that should be ridiculed.

There is a very disciplined process for the vote. Record the ballots locally. Canvas (audit) locally to verify. Canvas (audit) at the state level to verify. Present to the electors and have them register their votes. Record and canvas (audit) the elector votes and tally. THAT is who wins, regardless of who the press has called a "winner", regardless of who claims they have won and regardless of who might or might not have conceded.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:40 am

zzand wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:56 am
Wrong then and now. We need a National Election Commission who is the authority on calling the winner. As a member of the media I have never thought the media should be in charge of calling the winner especially in this era when most slant one way or the other. I started feeling that a National Commission was needed back during the Gore debacle. Sorry that I don't feel the way you do that the media is the final word, our job is to report facts and the facts only not be king or queen makers.
Yes, yes !!! A Commission must be formed from a Blue Ribbon Panel that then makes up a Committee of Appointees whose Task Force can gather an Oversight Board to act as a Regulation Agency.... or maybe just understand that, by in large, letting reporters report has worked surprisingly well for a lot of elections for a lot of years.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:07 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am
We absolutely do not need a "national election commission" to call a winner. That would just be one more political swamp and an attempt to federalize the USA. We are not China nor Russia. The rules are clear on who actually calls the winner. It's the media self-proclaiming their pronouncements as "fact" that should be ridiculed.

There is a very disciplined process for the vote. Record the ballots locally. Canvas (audit) locally to verify. Canvas (audit) at the state level to verify. Present to the electors and have them register their votes. Record and canvas (audit) the elector votes and tally. THAT is who wins, regardless of who the press has called a "winner", regardless of who claims they have won and regardless of who might or might not have conceded.
They’ve been calling races this way for as long as anyone can remember. The results don’t deviate from it. They make a call when it’s clear who won the race. While do have the technical methods you mention it’s never going to function as intended. That intention is to have the electoral college decide the election result. That’s never going to happen because of the way state laws have changed how electors are appointed.

In theory under the original legislatures appoint electors method One candidate could get a single vote nationally but if a majority of electors vote for that person they are in. It’s an undemocratic system that was poorly conceived. The founding fathers designed an imperfect system with at times little foresight. This is one of those examples.

At any rate the media “calling” a race is perfectly appropriate and it’s a part of the system we use at this point. I didn’t see you running around arguing Hillary still had a chance in 2016...

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:07 pm

They’ve been calling races this way for as long as anyone can remember. The results don’t deviate from it. They make a call when it’s clear who won the race.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:54 pm

Rate This wrote:
km1125 wrote:

They’ve been calling races this way for as long as anyone can remember. The results don’t deviate from it. They make a call when it’s clear who won the race. While do have the technical methods you mention it’s never going to function as intended. That intention is to have the electoral college decide the election result. That’s never going to happen because of the way state laws have changed how electors are appointed.

In theory under the original legislatures appoint electors method One candidate could get a single vote nationally but if a majority of electors vote for that person they are in. It’s an undemocratic system that was poorly conceived. The founding fathers designed an imperfect system with at times little foresight. This is one of those examples.

At any rate the media “calling” a race is perfectly appropriate and it’s a part of the system we use at this point. I didn’t see you running around arguing Hillary still had a chance in 2016...
Are you stupid or just ignorant? Sure, the media has been making their statement but that's not how people get elected. Never was and never (hopefully) will be.

The Founders put a LOT of thought into the electoral process and did it for a LOT of important reasons.

Of course I wasn't running around rooting for Hillary in '16. Nobody but a fool would have been.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:21 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:54 pm

Are you stupid or just ignorant?
I'm hoping for ignorant. Ya just can't fix stupid.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:52 pm

H*****y thought they had cheated enough to win in 2016. Apparently, they underestimated how unpopular she really was. I'm sure the Democrats cheated in 2016. When she lost, they activated the ridiculous Russian Collusion hoax. If there ever had been a pee pee video, it would have surfaced by now.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:02 pm

R Bedell wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:29 am
This must be the NBC Peacock.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:25 pm
Rate This wrote:

They’ve been calling races this way for as long as anyone can remember. The results don’t deviate from it. They make a call when it’s clear who won the race.
That was a rather infamous error but it was due to a publication deadline. They jumped early. Such is not the case in 2020.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:11 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:54 pm
Rate This wrote:
km1125 wrote:

Are you stupid or just ignorant? Sure, the media has been making their statement but that's not how people get elected. Never was and never (hopefully) will be.

The Founders put a LOT of thought into the electoral process and did it for a LOT of important reasons.

Of course I wasn't running around rooting for Hillary in '16. Nobody but a fool would have been.
The most important of which was keeping a small number of people, namely elites like them in power. The situation now is the same as in 16. She barely lost, conceded the next day without arguing fraud and the day after that Trump was meeting with Obama and the transition was underway. I guess losing is only ok if you’re a Democrat.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:21 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:11 pm
She barely lost, conceded the next day without arguing fraud and the day after that Trump was meeting with Obama and the transition was underway. I guess losing is only ok if you’re a Democrat.

She didn't concede the next day. She conceded on the very evening of the election. And she did it graciously.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:22 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:21 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:11 pm
She barely lost, conceded the next day without arguing fraud and the day after that Trump was meeting with Obama and the transition was underway. I guess losing is only ok if you’re a Democrat.

She didn't concede the next day. She conceded on the very evening of the election. And she did it graciously.
She called Trump at 9am on Wednesday or something. He declared victory at 2am. Point being that there was then and is now no voter fraud. The Republican Party has ceased to be a serious party interested in the Democratic processes they supposedly seek to adhere vehemently too. It’s about power and nothing more. If Trump wants president for life these folks will let him have it.
Last edited by Rate This on Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:25 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:24 pm
I’d love to explain.

You are conceived either XX or XY.

Your feelings do not change this fact.

No special privileges or rights should be given to anyone regardless of how they feel.

Now, make it a great day!
Go away.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic