Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

ACB unanimously advanced to full Senate

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

ACB unanimously advanced to full Senate

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:31 am

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Re: ACB unanimously advanced to full Senate

Post by Rate This » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:31 am
https://www.wsj.com/articles/amy-coney- ... 45?mod=mhp

Am I doing this right? :blink
In other news the sun rose in the east and although it’s cloudy today on sunny days the sky is blue.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 pm

So unexpected.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:56 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 pm
So unexpected.
You expected a UNANIMOUS vote?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Yes, it's a show of good faith. If she's going to pass anyways, why not? It won't matter when we expand the court. :)

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:25 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:59 pm
Yes, it's a show of good faith. If she's going to pass anyways, why not? It won't matter when we expand the court. :)
Talk of expanding the court is just a media brain fart.

With the exception of a few hotheads, nobody on either side of the aisle, including Biden, want to open that can of worms.

The level headed Democrats know if they stuff it on their watch, the Republicans will stuff it more when they come back in power. Neither side wants 34 justices.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Maybe RT will have a different response when the dipshits at e-v.com post their drivel tomorrow...

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:28 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:32 pm
Maybe RT will have a different response when the dipshits at e-v.com post their drivel tomorrow...
How about this:
All 189 appellate judges are made Supreme Court Justices on a rotating basis. So if a case is accepted to the court a random lottery drawing of 9 will hear the case. That eliminates any need to stack the court of fight wildly over ideology everytime one of the justices croaks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:17 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:28 am
Matt wrote:
How about this:
All 189 appellate judges are made Supreme Court Justices on a rotating basis. So if a case is accepted to the court a random lottery drawing of 9 will hear the case. That eliminates any need to stack the court of fight wildly over ideology everytime one of the justices croaks.
No, the system we have works fine. The democrat appointees are typically the ideologues, hard stop. Republican appointees are more likely not to be politically tied.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:44 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:17 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:28 am
Matt wrote:
How about this:
No, the system we have works fine. The democrat appointees are typically the ideologues, hard stop. Republican appointees are more likely not to be politically tied.
Bullshit. Anyone who claims to be an originalist and can interpret the constitution to give answers that the founding fathers could never have fathomed because the subject matter didn’t exist is an ideological hack. Hard stop. Clarance Thomas and Antonin Scalia being the biggest examples.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:51 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:44 am
Bullshit. Anyone who claims to be an originalist and can interpret the constitution to give answers that the founding fathers could never have fathomed because the subject matter didn’t exist is an ideological hack. Hard stop. Clarance Thomas and Antonin Scalia being the biggest examples.
Interesting.
What exactly is the role of the Supreme Court in these modern times. Is it to interpret the Constitution as an Originalist?
Is it to interpret modern times and make judgements that don't necessarily reflect what the Constitution says?

I agree, the Constitution is 230 years old. A lot in the world has changed.
But is it a slippery slope to not follow original meaning as the exclusive guide to interpretation in cases?
It would seem to me that by not being an Originalist, bias would be more likely.
I'm not saying I know the answer to that question. We both agree we are basically down to one Originalist on the bench, that being Thomas. And that's not likely to change, even with Amy Coney joining the fray.

But I go back to my first question. What is the role of the Supreme Court? Are they truly relevant? Maybe what I should say, are they making themselves irrelevant? My personally, they need to be passing on at least a third of the cases they hear. If it's not interpreting the Constitution, Originalist or otherwise, why hear it?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:11 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:51 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:44 am
Interesting.
What exactly is the role of the Supreme Court in these modern times. Is it to interpret the Constitution as an Originalist?
Is it to interpret modern times and make judgements that don't necessarily reflect what the Constitution says?

I agree, the Constitution is 230 years old. A lot in the world has changed.
But is it a slippery slope to not follow original meaning as the exclusive guide to interpretation in cases?
It would seem to me that by not being an Originalist, bias would be more likely.
I'm not saying I know the answer to that question. We both agree we are basically down to one Originalist on the bench, that being Thomas. And that's not likely to change, even with Amy Coney joining the fray.

But I go back to my first question. What is the role of the Supreme Court? Are they truly relevant? Maybe what I should say, are they making themselves irrelevant? My personally, they need to be passing on at least a third of the cases they hear. If it's not interpreting the Constitution, Originalist or otherwise, why hear it?
The hearing of cases and striking down of laws isn’t even in the constitution. It’s a precedent established in 1803 when they decided to do it and nobody bothered to stop them.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 pm

It is done, you've already lost and you don't even know it.

Thread Killer

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:31 pm

UP906 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:17 pm
It is done, you've already lost and you don't even know it.
Lost what exactly?

UP906

Post by UP906 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:39 pm

Everything.

The left is done.

Thread Killer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic