Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Limbaugh winding down

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Limbaugh winding down

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:43 pm

At the end of the day this guy is responsible for what we call politics at the moment. Who thought he wouldn't be " conservative " enough for what's going on these days. If you look at what he stood for 10 years ago and what he does to stay relevant today, he's going to go down a sell-out.

If anyone remembers Dan's bake sale, the guy who organized it for the Fort Collins radio station is a friend of mine and I happened to be there that day. But that was back when radio was fun.
New York (CNN Business)Rush Limbaugh, the conservative talk show radio host, is battling stage 4 lung cancer and said Monday he's had a setback in his prognosis.

"The scans did show some progression of cancer," he told listeners of his radio show. He later added: "It's not dramatic, but it is the wrong direction."
The 69-year-old was diagnosed with lung cancer in February.
Limbaugh said his doctors changed his medications in "hopes of keeping additional progression at bay for as long as possible." Prior to this week's update, he said that cancer "had been reduced, and it had become manageable."

"It's tough to realize that the days where I do not think I'm under a death sentence are over," Limbaugh said. "Now, we all are, is the point. We all know that we're going to die at some point, but when you have a terminal disease diagnosis that has a time frame to it, then that puts a different psychological and even physical awareness to it."

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Re: Limbaugh winding down

Post by Rate This » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:02 pm

The reality is that as these guys die off and their listeners die off the Republican Party will slowly start to collapse. It sounds like Rush will be the first one to meet that fate. Hannity I think is the youngest of the bunch at 59.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 pm

It's so hard to find someone who believes in the sanctity of cocaine and oxy these days. Get well soon, Rush.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:34 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:02 pm
The reality is that as these guys die off and their listeners die off the Republican Party will slowly start to collapse. It sounds like Rush will be the first one to meet that fate. Hannity I think is the youngest of the bunch at 59.
You sure about that? Fox News survived its exodus of 5 years ago.

I will say this though - Rush Limbaugh is irreplaceable. You can say what you want about him but he's still #1, even with ever-increasing competition and new mediums. I suspect Hannity might end up with his time slot soon, though I think that would be a mistake on the part of Premiere Radio Network as Hannity and Limbaugh have quite different personalities and styles.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:40 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:34 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:02 pm
You sure about that? Fox News survived its exodus of 5 years ago.

I will say this though - Rush Limbaugh is irreplaceable. You can say what you want about him but he's still #1, even with ever-increasing competition and new mediums. I suspect Hannity might end up with his time slot soon, though I think that would be a mistake on the part of Premiere Radio Network as Hannity and Limbaugh have quite different personalities and styles.
That he is irreplaceable is my point. Tucker and Laura are slightly younger than Hannity's 59 (I only have that one memorized because he shares the same birth year as my mother -- 1961)... I had to look the other two up:
Laura... 57... so 1963.
Tucker... 51 so 1969.

By 2030 there will need to be some fresh talent on the scene. I commonly check ages of guests when watching FOX shows... it's hard to find many born after 1975. That's gonna become a problem without some replacement at some point...

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:52 am

Sorry, my "you can say..." was a generic "you" not aimed at your comment specifically.

Jesse Watters might have a bright future at Fox. He's pretty sharp and only 42.

As far as radio goes, Rush Limbaugh's retirement when the day comes will indeed be a blow to the medium, there's just no sugar-coating that. And the only other 2 A-list hosts who Premiere syndicates are Hannity and Glenn Beck. And Beck is a nutjob (I can't believe he has 10 million listeners every week). The only person talented enough to take Limbaugh's spot IMO is Mark Levin, and I doubt he ditches Westwood One (plus he'd have to tone back his "angry" persona quite a bit).

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:00 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:52 am
Sorry, my "you can say..." was a generic "you" not aimed at your comment specifically.

Jesse Watters might have a bright future at Fox. He's pretty sharp and only 42.

As far as radio goes, Rush Limbaugh's retirement when the day comes will indeed be a blow to the medium, there's just no sugar-coating that. And the only other 2 A-list hosts who Premiere syndicates are Hannity and Glenn Beck. And Beck is a nutjob (I can't believe he has 10 million listeners every week). The only person talented enough to take Limbaugh's spot IMO is Mark Levin, and I doubt he ditches Westwood One (plus he'd have to tone back his "angry" persona quite a bit).
Beck was born in 1964 so he's 56, not a spring chicken but still time left. Levin however was born in 1957.. so he's 63 which is actually a little younger than I thought but still getting a little old to have the top billing for very long. He still gets you to the same place in 10 years. Watters might have it but he'd have to have fully lost the "O'Reilly" errand boy man on the street feeling that he had for so long. Somehow that schtick makes him feel like a lightweight no matter how sharp he may be. He might be able to build up his bonafides at FOX though and overcome that.

It won't be that Tomi Lehren I hope. She's pretty vile in an Ann Coulter sort of way. It's not subtle.. it's just mean. Especially for somebody who is only 26 or 27. She is somebody with absolutely no business being there.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:19 am

Watters has been on The Five for a while now, and while I once agreed with your "boy on the street" shtick assessment of Watters, I think enough time has passed for that image of him to be mostly behind him now.

My favorite personality on FNC is Greg Guttfeld. Back in 2007 and 2008 when I was unemployed and had no reason to get up early in the morning, I used to stay up every night and watch Red Eye at 3 AM. I wish Fox News would give him a half-hour 11:30 comedy/politics hybrid show of some sort.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:26 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:19 am
Watters has been on The Five for a while now, and while I once agreed with your "boy on the street" shtick assessment of Watters, I think enough time has passed for that image of him to be mostly behind him now.

My favorite personality on FNC is Greg Guttfeld. Back in 2007 and 2008 when I was unemployed and had no reason to get up early in the morning, I used to stay up every night and watch Red Eye at 3 AM. I wish Fox News would give him a half-hour 11:30 comedy/politics hybrid show of some sort.
I don't find Guttfeld to be a bit funny... I find his humor to be mean spirited and personal. There's nothing happy seeming about the guy... It's meant to turn knives into somebody rather than entertain.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic