Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Erhics of Mary Trump

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Erhics of Mary Trump

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:56 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:52 pm
Any thoughts about the hundreds of African Americans being killed each year?
Yeah, I'm extremely pissed about it and can't understand why people who claim to care about black lives aren't taking their ass to Chicago and doing something about it.
By that you mean that the police aren't getting the job done? That's why we need other tools in the public safety tool chest. Moving dollars from the Police to other resources is the way to slow the war in Chicago.

But no concern about Police killing African Americans? I guess that says plenty about you as a human.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 pm
But no concern about Police killing African Americans? I guess that says plenty about you as a human.
A police officer is 19 times more likely to be killed by a black male than a black male is killed by a police officer.

You are big on academia and data. Here's an academic study from right here in our back yard.
“Our data show that the rate of crime by each racial group correlates with the likelihood of citizens from that racial group being shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of white people committing crimes, white people are more likely to be shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of black people committing crimes, black people are more likely to be shot. It is the best predictor we have of fatal police shootings.”
https://research.msu.edu/the-truth-behi ... shootings/

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:27 pm

TC Talks wrote:
I think that's a quite unfair statement. You're not concerned about 10 million people starving to death worldwide this year because of the government-mandated economic shutdowns - does that make you a terrible human being?

As to police kill African Americans - I speak for myself (and probably Bryce too) when I say that everybody is concerned about any cop killing any innocent person. We just don't view it through the prism of race. You, on the other hand, seemingly view EVERYTHING through the prism of race.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:35 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm
TC Talks wrote:
A police officer is 19 times more likely to be killed by a black male than a black male is killed by a police officer.

You are big on academia and data. Here's an academic study from right here in our back yard.
“Our data show that the rate of crime by each racial group correlates with the likelihood of citizens from that racial group being shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of white people committing crimes, white people are more likely to be shot. If you live in a county that has a lot of black people committing crimes, black people are more likely to be shot. It is the best predictor we have of fatal police shootings.”
https://research.msu.edu/the-truth-behi ... shootings/
This plays right into my support for shifting resources from police to other public safety tools... Police shouldn't be handling mental disorder calls without trained mental health support.
“It was truly striking and we didn’t recognize just how many there were,” he said. “This shows how underappreciated mental health is in the national discussion of fatal officer shootings.”

Nearly 50% of all fatal shootings involving white civilians were because of mental health; it also accounted for nearly 20% of black civilians and 30% of Hispanics. These included two types of mental health cases: the first was “suicide by cop,” in which civilians intentionally antagonize the police because they want an officer to kill themselves; the second was a result of mental disorders, such as when a civilian is suffering from schizophrenia and poses a threat to officers.
Last edited by TC Talks on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:27 pm
TC Talks wrote:
I think that's a quite unfair statement. You're not concerned about 10 million people starving to death worldwide this year because of the government-mandated economic shutdowns - does that make you a terrible human being?

As to police kill African Americans - I speak for myself (and probably Bryce too) when I say that everybody is concerned about any cop killing any innocent person. We just don't view it through the prism of race. You, on the other hand, seemingly view EVERYTHING through the prism of race.
While those 300 African Americans killed without cause each year in the United States is a small part of the bigger problem in this country related to race, it certainly has immeasurable consequences to people of color. This is part of what you don't want to accept.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:41 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:37 pm
While those 300 African Americans killed without cause each year in the United States is a small part of the bigger problem in this country related to race, it certainly has immeasurable consequences to people of color. This is part of what you don't want to accept.
Which 300 do you refer too? I've not seen numbers anywhere near that amount.

Even if so, it pales when compared to the over 7,500 black people killed by other black people.

Are you saying we have a mental health issue instead of a racial issue?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 pm

Mixing two issues here. Let's stay on Police killing people without justification...

I remember posting this site years ago. It's still logging every police killing accurately. https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 pm
Mixing two issues here. Let's stay on Police killing people without justification...
Hey MR. You brought up the mental health thing, not me.
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:35 pm
“It was truly striking and we didn’t recognize just how many there were,” he said. “This shows how underappreciated mental health is in the national discussion of fatal officer shootings.”

Nearly 50% of all fatal shootings involving white civilians were because of mental health; it also accounted for nearly 20% of black civilians and 30% of Hispanics. These included two types of mental health cases: the first was “suicide by cop,” in which civilians intentionally antagonize the police because they want an officer to kill themselves; the second was a result of mental disorders, such as when a civilian is suffering from schizophrenia and poses a threat to officers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:45 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:44 pm
Hey MR. You brought up the mental health thing, not me.
Yes, it's part of the reforms that need to happen with Police...

Start a new thread about Chicago's killing. That is a much harder conversation to dissect. The problems with Police are obvious and can be resolved with greater accountability. For example, convicting rouge police.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:03 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:48 pm
The problems with Police are obvious and can be resolved with greater accountability. For example, convicting rouge police.
Hmmm, seems to me that greater accountability for criminals and convicting rouge citizens worked much better for N.Y. City as carried out during Rudy's tenure as Mayor than the current "peace and love" offering they're trying now.
A bloody four-week stretch has helped drive murders up by more than 25% across New York compared to a year ago, according to NYPD statistics.

The city saw 38 killings over the past four weeks compared to 19 over the same time frame last year. So far, there have been 32 more murders this year than in the same period in 2019, with 159 through Sunday.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:08 am

The problems in New York have been steadily building for over a year. To suggest the protest activities from a month ago has that immediate an impact is a little unrealistic. That being said, covid has been very hard.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic