Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why isn't the left pro-choice on masks?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: Why isn't the left pro-choice on masks?

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:30 am

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:57 am
Given that other countries had more discipline, did the same things we did and are opening up now without this sort of resurgence I don’t think that’s the case.
Which countries are you referring to here?
One side is much more invested in trying to protect its citizens than the other.
...in vain. That's the difference. One side realizes it is in vain while the other does not.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:48 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:30 am
Rate This wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:57 am
Given that other countries had more discipline, did the same things we did and are opening up now without this sort of resurgence I don’t think that’s the case.
Which countries are you referring to here?
One side is much more invested in trying to protect its citizens than the other.
...in vain. That's the difference. One side realizes it is in vain while the other does not.
Much of Western Europe for starters. But also Japan, South Korea and apparently Rawanda. Apparently Rawanda did what we could not and beat the virus back well enough to be allowed travel to the EU... we remained banned. Our handling of this has been dead last among developed western nations. That’s not really disputable.
Last edited by Rate This on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:49 am

I am not sure when the mask debate became a political hot potato but it has become a big one. If you look at Japan, China, India, the list goes on and on, masks have been a part of everyday life for various reasons for a long time. It is just an accepted thing to do on the way out the door and no one thinks twice about it. Read an interesting thought from a Japanese man who wondered why Americans are so reluctant to wear one. I think it's because we don't like our routines messed with and being told to do this, that or the other. The best remarks on this thread have come from Turkey Top, he makes perfect sense and nails it in every one of his posts. In my area, the 50 and older crowd, regardless of political party, wears them with no issue, as do those of all ages with underlying conditions. Interesting to note, teens wear them as well but make fashion statements with them which has been fun to see. As for me, I have no issue wearing one as I am wearing it to protect others, they wear theirs to protect me. As for the medical effects, it seems no one really knows since daily there are articles and discussions pro and con. In my immediate family there are Republicans, Democrats and a Libertarian. We all wear masks, no political influence involved. My company has a policy that when we are doing public events we must be masked and socially distant. Those who don't want to wear a mask have been pulled from rotation and miss out on the extra pay from those events. I was at a business reopening broadcast a few weeks back and a listener came up to me and said "Real men don't wear masks", my response? "Smart ones do".

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:51 am

zzand wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:49 am
I am not sure when the mask debate became a political hot potato but it has become a big one. If you look at Japan, China, India, the list goes on and on, masks have been a part of everyday life for various reasons for a long time. It is just an accepted thing to do on the way out the door and no one thinks twice about it. Read an interesting thought from a Japanese man who wondered why Americans are so reluctant to wear one. I think it's because we don't like our routines messed with and being told to do this, that or the other. The best remarks on this thread have come from Turkey Top, he makes perfect sense and nails it in every one of his posts. In my area, the 50 and older crowd, regardless of political party, wears them with no issue, as do those of all ages with underlying conditions. Interesting to note, teens wear them as well but make fashion statements with them which has been fun to see. As for me, I have no issue wearing one as I am wearing it to protect others, they wear theirs to protect me. As for the medical effects, it seems no one really knows since daily there are articles and discussions pro and con. In my immediate family there are Republicans, Democrats and a Libertarian. We all wear masks, no political influence involved. My company has a policy that when we are doing public events we must be masked and socially distant. Those who don't want to wear a mask have been pulled from rotation and miss out on the extra pay from those events. I was at a business reopening broadcast a few weeks back and a listener came up to me and said "Real men don't wear masks", my response? "Smart ones do".
Thank you.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:07 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:48 am
Much of Western Europe for starters. But also Japan, South Korea and apparently Rawanda. Apparently Rawanda did what we could not and beat the virus back well enough to be allowed travel to the EU... we remained banned. Our handling of this has been dead last among developed western nations. That’s not really disputable.
Actually, it is disputable. Per-capita death rate thus far based on officially reported death tolls:

1 in 1510 UK
1 in 1653 Spain
1 in 1732 Italy
1 in 1887 Sweden
1 in 2247 France
1 in 2552 USA

Thus, 5 developed western nations have higher death rates relative to their population than does the United States. And death tolls are, IMO, a far more accurate stat to look at than reported infections since I'm sure far more of the deaths are reported than are the cases.

However, at least based on official numbers, you are correct about Japan, South Korea, and Rwanda. BUT....their time is coming. Either that, or their reporting is very inaccurate. I don't know how Rwanda can only claim 3 deaths in a population of 12 million people.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:10 pm

I'm going to be very clear about my position on masks. It isn't a political one. I choose not to wear one because
(a) they're very uncomfortable, and
(b) that when the dust settles and the history books are written, the masks won't have saved many lives at all.

It has nothing to do with politics for me. I DO wear one to several places where I do business, and that is out of respect for the business owner's wishes and nothing else. When I discuss the politics of it, I'm talking about politicians and the media - I'm sure most people who wear them do so because they believe that the masks help. But I think that politicians and the media know better. It is all about social control.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:17 pm

As far as bring uncomfortable, you need to find the type that isn't. I have many masks in my possession and some are very comfortable, some are not. Each person needs to figure out the type that works best for them.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:34 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:10 pm
I'm going to be very clear about my position on masks. It isn't a political one. I choose not to wear one because
(a) they're very uncomfortable, and
(b) that when the dust settles and the history books are written, the masks won't have saved many lives at all.

It has nothing to do with politics for me. I DO wear one to several places where I do business, and that is out of respect for the business owner's wishes and nothing else. When I discuss the politics of it, I'm talking about politicians and the media - I'm sure most people who wear them do so because they believe that the masks help. But I think that politicians and the media know better. It is all about social control.
"I never met a conspiracy theory I didn't like that involved taking away my freedoms" - bmw

The regurgitated right wing social control conspiracy theory stuff got old a while ago...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:02 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:54 am
Maximum disruption of the economy.
That is the most ignorant thing I've read in a while. This sounds like Pence science.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:06 pm

I'm sorry, but the media's absolute obsession with masks is bizarre. Of all the different aspects to the virus and its spread and the one idea that may slow down spread by 2% per day is the one that gets all the attention.

Like this study, published just 3 days ago by the Henry Ford Health System:

https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/07/ ... ment-study
In a large-scale retrospective analysis of 2,541 patients hospitalized between March 10 and May 2, 2020 across the system’s six hospitals, the study found 13% of those treated with hydroxychloroquine alone died compared to 26.4% not treated with hydroxychloroquine.
That is a death rate reduction of 51%. Where's the coverage of this? Media has a war against this particular drug and instead pushes daily something that reduces spread by 2%. There's either ulterior motives or sheer ignorance involved here.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:06 pm
I'm sorry, but the media's absolute obsession with masks is bizarre. Of all the different aspects to the virus and its spread and the one idea that may slow down spread by 2% per day is the one that gets all the attention.

Like this study, published just 3 days ago by the Henry Ford Health System:

https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/07/ ... ment-study
In a large-scale retrospective analysis of 2,541 patients hospitalized between March 10 and May 2, 2020 across the system’s six hospitals, the study found 13% of those treated with hydroxychloroquine alone died compared to 26.4% not treated with hydroxychloroquine.
That is a death rate reduction of 51%. Where's the coverage of this? Media has a war against this particular drug and instead pushes daily something that reduces spread by 2%. There's either ulterior motives or sheer ignorance involved here.
Even the government withdrew its support for the drug awhile Ago...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:36 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:27 pm
Mothers: “I don’t even know you, but I love you. You are priceless and precious. I will sacrifice everything for your good. You are unique and special. You are vulnerable and deserve protection and care.”

Monsters: “I don’t even know you, but I hate you. You are an inconvenience because I think only of myself. You are worthy of death by your very existence. I hate you so much that I will kill you and not allow you to live and be adopted by a loving family.”
Ding.

Maybe we should name Jan 22 as Monster's Day.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:40 pm

I am so glad we all know what your choice would be.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:49 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:07 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:48 am
Actually, it is disputable. Per-capita death rate thus far based on officially reported death tolls:

1 in 1510 UK
1 in 1653 Spain
1 in 1732 Italy
1 in 1887 Sweden
1 in 2247 France
1 in 2552 USA

Thus, 5 developed western nations have higher death rates relative to their population than does the United States. And death tolls are, IMO, a far more accurate stat to look at than reported infections since I'm sure far more of the deaths are reported than are the cases.

However, at least based on official numbers, you are correct about Japan, South Korea, and Rwanda. BUT....their time is coming. Either that, or their reporting is very inaccurate. I don't know how Rwanda can only claim 3 deaths in a population of 12 million people.
Maybe because we used hydroxychloroquine?

China's number are fraudulent. They had 13 incinerators running full time in China for the dead in Wuhan.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:53 pm

The pandemic did not sweep through the United States at the same time as it did in Europe. As we learned more about the virus, we developed better ways to address it. It makes sense. Of course, there's no discussion about the countries that mandated face masks who have very low mortality and infection rates. Care to site any of those countries who are mandating face masks? Or does that data just not support your wacky idea.

BMW, can you please cite your source for these statistics.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic