Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Supreme Court Rules Against Trump On DACA

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Supreme Court Rules Against Trump On DACA

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:18 am

Apparently DHS didn’t follow the proper procedures and consider the right things in trying to end it so Trumps challenge has been quashed. Quite stunning actually. 5-4 ruling with Roberts siding with the liberals.
https://apnews.com/4901a69e2fb198705ab4f5370b28810a

Deleted User 24

Re: Supreme Court Rules Against Trump On DACA

Post by Deleted User 24 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:05 am

SCOTUS gets it right twice in one week. Waiting for the usual butthurt conservatives in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:18 pm

No argument here. I agree with both rulings.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 13307

Post by Deleted User 13307 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:33 pm

I think the only one butthurt is Trump. Proud of the SCOTUS these past few days!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Just curious - when is the last time that a liberal justice cast the deciding vote for the conservatives in a controversial case?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:05 am
SCOTUS gets it right twice in one week. Waiting for the usual butthurt conservatives in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
I guess I get to be the first one....

How exactly does Roberts justify the ruling that one Presidents executive order is valid, but the executive order by another President rescinding it isn't? Sorry, that doesn't pass constitutional muster to me.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:13 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:06 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:

How exactly does Roberts justify the ruling that one Presidents executive order is valid, but the executive order by another President rescinding it isn't? Sorry, that doesn't pass constitutional muster to me.
The issue was procedural... Trumps administration screwed up how they went about it. The court did not rule on the merits of the move.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Bryce wrote:
Vic Doucette wrote:

Would you have preferred an activist ruling?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:14 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:32 pm
Bryce wrote:
Vic Doucette wrote:

Isn't that kind of what it was? I would call it a "I think Trump sucks" ruling on Robert's part.

The Obamacare ruling was a "I want everyone to think I love our first black President and want to have the Washington press fawn all over me ruling".

He had to rewrite the damn thing.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 pm

I've got to admit, I was skeptical about Gorsuch but he seems come out of the closet with some good rulings occasionally.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:30 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 pm
I've got to admit, I was skeptical about Gorsuch but he seems come out of the closet with some good rulings occasionally.
I always believed he would. Forget about Kavanaugh.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:24 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:14 pm
Matt wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Vic Doucette wrote:

Isn't that kind of what it was? I would call it a "I think Trump sucks" ruling on Robert's part.

The Obamacare ruling was a "I want everyone to think I love our first black President and want to have the Washington press fawn all over me ruling".

I would say that DACA was initiated by an activist president, when it should have gone through the legislative process. I don't think its ultimately a bad policy, but that is beside the point. When Trump decided he wanted to reverse the policy, the administration should have taken great care to make sure it was handled correctly. They didn't, which opened up the opportunity for the procedural question to be raised. In this case, allowing DACA to be overturned because a majority of the court didn’t like the policy and were willing to overlook the procedural errors made by the Trump administration, would have been an activist decision.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:52 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:24 am
Bryce wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:14 pm
Matt wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Vic Doucette wrote:

I would say that DACA was initiated by an activist president, when it should have gone through the legislative process. I don't think its ultimately a bad policy, but that is beside the point. When Trump decided he wanted to reverse the policy, the administration should have taken great care to make sure it was handled correctly. They didn't, which opened up the opportunity for the procedural question to be raised. In this case, allowing DACA to be overturned because a majority of the court didn’t like the policy and were willing to overlook the procedural errors made by the Trump administration, would have been an activist decision.
That and Roberts seems to want to protect the courts reputation for calling balls and strikes so occasionally he throws the liberals a bone. I don’t think he’s the second coming of Anthony Kennedy though.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:05 pm

Kavanaugh doesn't seem to be concerned about the structure of law so far.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic