Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

You Say "Tomato"...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

You Say "Tomato"...

Post by Bryce » Thu May 28, 2020 8:30 am

George Floyd's death sparked heated protests across US as many call for charges against officers
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/minne ... index.html
Fierce protests erupt after fatal arrest of George Floyd
https://www.msnbc.com/11th-hour/watch/f ... 4011077797
Protesters in Downtown LA Block Freeway, Smash CHP Windows During Demonstration Over George Floyd’s Death
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... h/2369523/
Protests in Minneapolis over the in-custody death of George Floyd escalated Wednesday night with a fatal shooting near the site of the demonstrations, widespread looting, multiple fires and the deployment of tear gas.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... h-n1216096

So, at what point does a "protest" become a "riot?"

To me, this is a protest:

This is a riot:

I guess some outlets don't like to call a spade a spade. (Note to the ignorant, please see image below.)

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Re: You Say "Tomato"...

Post by Rate This » Thu May 28, 2020 8:46 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:30 am
George Floyd's death sparked heated protests across US as many call for charges against officers
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/us/minne ... index.html
Fierce protests erupt after fatal arrest of George Floyd
https://www.msnbc.com/11th-hour/watch/f ... 4011077797
Protesters in Downtown LA Block Freeway, Smash CHP Windows During Demonstration Over George Floyd’s Death
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... h/2369523/
Protests in Minneapolis over the in-custody death of George Floyd escalated Wednesday night with a fatal shooting near the site of the demonstrations, widespread looting, multiple fires and the deployment of tear gas.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... h-n1216096

To me, this is a protest:

This is a riot:

I guess some outlets don't like to call a spade a spade. (Note to the ignorant, please see image below.)

If I was forced to pick one I think #4 sounds the best... but I agree.... it sure looks and sounds like a riot...

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 am

That's a good question. But the bigger question is..
at what point does the questioning of a suspect in a non-violent incident turn into the death of an unarmed person? Call it a riot if you want... doesn't change the underlying facts. And it doesn't make any protesters or rioter right either. But I read all four stories you linked. To me they all didn't shy away from the violence of the situation.

So please... what's your point?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 28, 2020 9:28 am

Radio Sucks wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 am
That's a good question. But the bigger question is..
at what point does the questioning of a suspect in a non-violent incident turn into the death of an unarmed person? Call it a riot if you want... doesn't change the underlying facts. And it doesn't make any protesters or rioter right either. But I read all four stories you linked. To me they all didn't shy away from the violence of the situation.

He is arguing that the media is purposely avoiding the use of a riot to be politically correct I think... why that really matters in the grand scheme of things I’m not sure...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu May 28, 2020 10:12 am

Hell yeah! You bet protest is now escalating into riots. And those burning, looting, riots will result in fear and white flight. Just as not too distant history shows us in LA, Detroit, and on other streets of other cities in America.

But whether bloodless protests finally escalate into full scale war in the streets, is the choice of the oppressors. As in The Revolutionary War - that birthed our nation.

Americans must formally, in writing, and by declaration end their tolerance of the constant murders of unarmed African American males by police officers. Period.

Until that deadly, unjust, vast, over decades, American law enforcement practice ends - a FINALLY AND LONG OVER DUE boiling anger response will take us back to the riots of the 1960’s.

Hell yeah. Riots in the streets are upon every American who by silence, indifference, racism have not demanded of all three branches of our government - STOP this systematic mass murder in slow motion of unarmed young black male American citizens by police.

Hell yeah! You bet! In the Revolutionary War spirit of our union’s founding. Act! Or be acted upon! Because every cell phone is a camera. And every citizen a reporter. It’s the NEW media, America. More MOVING (to action) than the pros could ever unwittingly be - with their microphones, hairspray, and lights.
Last edited by screen glare on Thu May 28, 2020 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 28, 2020 10:18 am

Radio Sucks wrote:

Several...

Many, if not most, people will read a headline and form an opinion without reading the full article.

From all the evidence that I have been able to find, the police officer involved with the death of George Flyod should be arrested and charged with murder. The fact that he hasn't, is certainly a genuine cause for protest. It is not an excuse for a riot. Yet, that is what has transpired.

Labeling mob violence a "protest" is almost like excusing it.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu May 28, 2020 10:21 am

BTW - the image used in this thread as an example of a protest - is actually an example of a pro-Trump political demonstration.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Can you even begin to imagine the media reaction if a bunch of white dudes set parts of Lansing on fire as a "protest" against Governor Whitmer's lockdown?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 28, 2020 1:51 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:40 pm
Can you even begin to imagine the media reaction if a bunch of white dudes set parts of Lansing on fire as a "protest" against Governor Whitmer's lockdown?
One element needed is that they would be setting their own area on fire... so if they want to burn down Perry or Owosso in protest your analogy works... most of the looters are locals taking advantage of no police presence and the stores closing early for employee safety. The protesters are largely from around Minneapolis too. The point that needs to be made to them is that they are only hurting themselves...

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:09 pm

screen glare wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:12 am
Americans must formally, in writing, and by declaration end their tolerance of the constant murders of unarmed African American males by police officers. Period.

Until that deadly, unjust, vast, over decades, American law enforcement practice ends - a FINALLY AND LONG OVER DUE boiling anger response will take us back to the riots of the 1960’s.
We need to get rid of the police entirely. That should stop all the "deadly, unjust" force and put and end to the need for any protests regarding them.

Maybe the police officers will just quit. ALL of them. We can figure out what to do next after they're all gone.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri May 29, 2020 8:00 am

Radio Sucks wrote:

So, it looks like honchos at NBC sent out a directive to its broadcast "journalists." Tell me now it's not agenda driven!

From Craig Melvin's twitter feed:
Craig Melvin
@craigmelvin
This will guide our reporting in MN. “While the situation on the ground in Minneapolis is fluid, and there has been violence, it is most accurate at this time to describe what is happening there as "protests"--not riots.”
11:37 AM · May 28, 2020
https://twitter.com/craigmelvin/status/ ... d-coverage

NBC's Ali Velshi reporting live from Minneapolis last night a little after 11:00 PM local time:
“I want to be clear on how I characterize this. This is mostly a protest. It is not, generally speaking, unruly but fires have been started and this crowd is relishing that,” Velshi told Williams. “There is a deep sense of grievance and complaint here, and that is the thing. That when you discount people who are doing things to public property that they shouldn’t be doing, it does have to be understood that this city has got, for the last several years, an issue with police, and it’s got a real sense of the deep sense of grievance of inequality.”

Does the above sound like reporting to you? Note, "mostly a protest" while doing a stand-up in front of a burning business.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri May 29, 2020 8:39 am

Bryce - the image you select in your first post as you begin this thread is captioned by you, “To me this is a protest.” As opposed to a riot.

I instead would caption it a Trump reelection demonstration because I count three prominent “Trump 2020” campaign signs/large banner.

I believe this image is just a slice of a much larger gathering - at the Michigan State Capitol that day - where those gathered were also in possession of and displaying assault weapons/long guns/hand guns. Again - yahoos promoting Trump and encouraging those watching to reelect him. More significant promotion than protest.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri May 29, 2020 8:42 am

screen glare wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:39 am
Bryce - the image you select in your first post as you begin this thread is captioned by you, “To me this is a protest.” As opposed to a riot.

I instead would caption it a Trump reelection demonstration because I count three prominent “Trump 2020” campaign signs/large banner.
You can caption a tulip as a machine gun, doesn't make it one.

How about commenting on the journalistic bias, which is the reason for this thread, without misdirecting its intent?

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 29, 2020 12:04 pm

Merriam Webster definition of Riot:
------------------------------------------
a violent public disorder; specifically : a tumultuous disturbance of the public peace by three or more persons assembled together and acting with a common intent

Sure sounds like what is happening meets this definition to me.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:04 pm
Merriam Webster definition of Riot:
a violent public disorder; specifically : a tumultuous disturbance of the public peace by three or more persons assembled together and acting with a common intent

Sure sounds like what is happening meets this definition to me.
The use of the word riot has been nearly universal the last 2 days...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic