Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Wisconsin Supreme Court rules “stay at home” unconstitutional

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Wisconsin Supreme Court rules “stay at home” unconstitutional

Post by Rate This » Thu May 14, 2020 10:53 am

bmw wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 am
The governor of Wisconsin is a clown. This is what he had so say last night:
Today, Republican legislators convinced four members of the state Supreme Court to throw the state into chaos. They have provided no plan. There's no question among anybody that people are going to get sick. Republicans own that chaos.
This guy needs a basics civics course. First off, it is NOT the role of the Supreme Court to "provide a plan." That is YOUR job. The Supreme Court's job is to determine constitutionality. They did that. And what they found was an abuse of power. Republicans don't "own that chaos." YOU do, for issuing unconstitutional orders (or for you administration doing it, I'm a bit confused exactly how that works in Wisconsin).
You read it wrong.

He’s talking about the legislature convincing the state Supreme Court through its lawyers arguing against the order to strike the order down while the legislature has not provided a plan and so they own it, especially if something bad happens and politically they’ll get destroyed if that comes to pass. Wisconsin like Michigan is Republican in both chambers. They share a heavy burden to come up with something else if they don’t like what the governors idea is. We already know what his idea was. What’s their bright idea if this one was so bad? Is this like the national level Republicans trying to repeal Obamacare and having no plan beyond that? That amounts to “Democrat idea bad, must smash”...

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 14, 2020 11:04 am

My bad. I did read that wrong. (see TC Talks - that wasn't so hard to admit I got one wrong).

I don't know what the Republican-controlled legislature in Wisconsin has in mind, but if it is anything like what the plan Michigan Republicans had (someone here posted a while back a link to a very comprehensive plan that Michigan lawmakers had come up with way back in late March or early April), then I suspect it could be, just like in Michigan, a "my way or the highway" attitude by the governor.

Roughly one month ago, this was the Wisconsin legislature's complaint about the stay-at-home order in that state:
Today’s briefing gave no actual metrics, no measurable goals, and most importantly, no clear plan to reopen going forward. The governor can’t just keep extending the date, waiting for some new knowledge to appear.
That is a fair criticism, both in Wisconsin and in a lot of states. What is the exit strategy? From what I can tell, there is none, as the goal posts keep shifting with time. First it was not killing millions of Americans, then it was "flattening the curve," then it was avoiding a second wave, and now it is waiting for a vaccine.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 14, 2020 11:19 am

I would add to this that this is what happens when you issue unconstitutional orders and abuse your power. The governor is acting like he bears no responsibility for the fallout that is happening right now (ie, bars and taverns are now open and packed with people). When you lock people up long enough and do so without proper authority, over-reactions after-the-fact are bound to happen.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 14, 2020 11:22 am

Herd immunity. I'm all for whatever it takes to get us there the fastest way possible without overrunning the hospitals as that is the ONLY viable solution to this. Anybody who thinks that:

A) a vaccine is the magical solution, and/or
B) that we can hold out that long

...will be sadly disappointed to find at the end of the road that not only is a vaccine not the magical cure, but that the country is a shell of its former self and the problems it faces at that time make the Coronavirus look like a mild sniffle in comparison.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 14, 2020 12:06 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:22 am
Herd immunity. I'm all for whatever it takes to get us there the fastest way possible without overrunning the hospitals as that is the ONLY viable solution to this. Anybody who thinks that:

...will be sadly disappointed to find at the end of the road that not only is a vaccine not the magical cure, but that the country is a shell of its former self and the problems it faces at that time make the Coronavirus look like a mild sniffle in comparison.
Then there is also the issue of the anti-vaxxers...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:06 pm
bmw wrote:

Someone just needs to tell them to roll the dice and leave everybody else alone.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 14, 2020 12:25 pm

What will they say when an effective vaccine is available?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Matt wrote:
Exactly. A virus is developed and some people refuse to take it. Or refuse to have their kid vaccinated.

Will a business refuse to let them come to work? Especially a business that interacts with the general public?
Can a school refuse to let the kids in?

99% of the population will be lined up like a picket fence getting themselves and their family vaccinated.
I'm thinking those who do, will have more than a slight issue with those who don't.

Especially parents of kids.
I think it's more of a probability than a possibility that the schools will say "No vaccination, no entry".
And with 99% (a realistic number I think) of the population agreeing with them, the schools will be able to do it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 14, 2020 1:09 pm

People who don't get vaccinated will be a non-issue because again - herd immunity. As long as roughly 70% of the population either has antibodies from having had the virus or has been vaccinated, the virus will be all but choked out of existence. The other 30% of the population then doesn't matter.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 14, 2020 1:12 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:09 pm
People who don't get vaccinated will be a non-issue because again - herd immunity. As long as roughly 70% of the population either has antibodies from having had the virus or has been vaccinated, the virus will be all but choked out of existence. The other 30% of the population then doesn't matter.
I agree. My concern is that politicians already resisting herd immunity will use anti-vaxxers as yet another excuse to restrict freedoms.

Deleted User 15335

Post by Deleted User 15335 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:03 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:05 pm
bmw wrote:

Sweden never closed down schools or restaurants and still had fewer deaths per capita than Michigan. Hmmm

Looks pretty obvious. Gretchen has been spreading the virus to deliberately infect people. When will people wake up?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 pm

patriot wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:03 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:05 pm
bmw wrote:

Sweden never closed down schools or restaurants and still had fewer deaths per capita than Michigan. Hmmm

Looks pretty obvious. Gretchen has been spreading the virus to deliberately infect people. When will people wake up?
Sarcasm... please be sarcasm...

Deleted User 15335

Post by Deleted User 15335 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 pm

WRONG. Sarcasm is the favorite tool of lefties.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Matt wrote:
I'm not an anti-vaxxer and don't know any offhand, but nobody I know wants to be in the initial group of folks who get the COVID-19 vaccine if/when it becomes available. Are you going to sign up to be the first? All your friends and family too?

How long do you wait until the vaccine is widely available until you feel it's AOK to inject in your or your families bodies? Day 1? Day 30? 1 year? 2 years?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 14, 2020 3:53 pm

patriot wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:10 pm

WRONG. Sarcasm is the favorite tool of lefties.
Oh dear... another nut...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic