Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cal State University online this fall

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Cal State University online this fall

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 12, 2020 10:32 pm

The make up of UofM's students is farther reaching (globally) than the CSU network. I can understand LSSU forging ahead with a modified fall schedule but not more international colleges.
In the most sweeping sign yet of the long-term impact of the coronavirus on American higher education, California State University, the nation’s largest four-year public university system, said on Tuesday that classes at its 23 campuses would be canceled for the fall semester, with instruction taking place almost exclusively online.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Re: Cal State University online this fall

Post by Rate This » Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:32 pm
The make up of UofM's students is farther reaching (globally) than the CSU network. I can understand LSSU forging ahead with a modified fall schedule but not more international colleges.
In the most sweeping sign yet of the long-term impact of the coronavirus on American higher education, California State University, the nation’s largest four-year public university system, said on Tuesday that classes at its 23 campuses would be canceled for the fall semester, with instruction taking place almost exclusively online.
Ferris State and CMU are also forging ahead.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 12, 2020 10:52 pm

What if a student doesn't have a computer or know how to do one?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 pm
TC Talks wrote:
All 3 in the UP, plus Central, Ferris, and Grand Valley have announced in person. I believe all 15 will be on campus this fall. I have no idea what Cali's end game is.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 12, 2020 11:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Actually you make an excellent point. Literally twenty year ago I was on part of a team that was developing online streaming education at a major University. Aside from tasks like deciding platforms (Windows Media vs. Real Networks... 'member them?) and producing for limited broadband we were in many ways writing the book on presentation as well as delivery. One thing that quickly became clear is not every student adapts well to the online learning environment. There were things we could do on the delivery side that made it better for them, a richer experience, but fact of that matter it doesn't work well for everybody.

My personal feeling is the social interactions experienced in college are in many ways as valuable as the academic endeavor. For that reason, while it's good college's are responding, it's still not the same as a a proper high ed experience.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 am

In the early 90s, I was an educator with my Union. No computers then. Flip chart, VHS tapes, photo copied pages from books.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed May 13, 2020 1:01 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 am
In the early 90s, I was an educator with my Union. No computers then. Flip chart, VHS tapes, photo copied pages from books.
Under the educational free-use clause of copyright protection. *wink* *wink*

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 13, 2020 9:22 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:01 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 am
Under the educational free-use clause of copyright protection. *wink* *wink*

Most of the books were copies of legislation or Labour arbitration cases, which are all public records. We did get in trouble once for using an unauthorized copy of a tape. We were ordered to stop using it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 13, 2020 10:26 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:44 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Actually you make an excellent point. Literally twenty year ago I was on part of a team that was developing online streaming education at a major University. Aside from tasks like deciding platforms (Windows Media vs. Real Networks... 'member them?) and producing for limited broadband we were in many ways writing the book on presentation as well as delivery. One thing that quickly became clear is not every student adapts well to the online learning environment. There were things we could do on the delivery side that made it better for them, a richer experience, but fact of that matter it doesn't work well for everybody.

My personal feeling is the social interactions experienced in college are in many ways as valuable as the academic endeavor. For that reason, while it's good college's are responding, it's still not the same as a a proper high ed experience.
Any student in a four year college is required to have a computer. Often it's cheaper than textbooks.

Every Student in Michigan's public schools have a computer and internet access at the moment. If you don't have one, the districts have provided one.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 13, 2020 10:27 am

Matt wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:10 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:48 pm
TC Talks wrote:
All 3 in the UP, plus Central, Ferris, and Grand Valley have announced in person. I believe all 15 will be on campus this fall. I have no idea what Cali's end game is.
We have no word from UofM, MSU nor Wayne State. I believe we won't get a decision until June.

― Noam Chomsky

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:37 pm

A University of Phoenix education for Cal State prices.....is that a bargain or a fleecing?

I no longer directly engage trolls

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 13, 2020 8:31 pm

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 13, 2020 8:41 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:37 pm
A University of Phoenix education for Cal State prices.....is that a bargain or a fleecing?
Comparing the talent at Cal State vs the "employees" at U of Phoenix is like Facui vs Trump on COVID.

― Noam Chomsky

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:58 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:41 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:37 pm
Comparing the talent at Cal State vs the "employees" at U of Phoenix is like Facui vs Trump on COVID.
And comparing a classroom education with give and take between students and teachers with an at home experience is like a video doctors appointment verses being in an examination room . It's not the same.

I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 14, 2020 7:19 am

I totally agree with that.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic