Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Let's talk about Sweden

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
RedMenace

Re: Let's talk about Sweden

Post by RedMenace » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:36 am
Bmw... there’s mounting evidence AGAINST heard immunity and that Sweden got it wrong:
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ain-2020-7
That study looks rather inconclusive. Unless I'm reading the results incorrectly, it looks like 86% of people who tested positive still had antibodies in their system several weeks later, and presumably the bulk of the 14% who didn't may never had had antibodies due to never really getting sick in the first place.
Pretty sure you read it correctly. It's just the title of the article is purposely written to get the desired effect. Which it did perfectly with Rate this. It makes the chicken littles of the world go running around clucking "the end is near!". Because most lemmings never get past the title.

Counting all the assholes in the room I'm defiantly not alone.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 pm

RedMenace wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:09 pm
bmw wrote:
Rate This wrote:
Bmw... there’s mounting evidence AGAINST heard immunity and that Sweden got it wrong:
That study looks rather inconclusive. Unless I'm reading the results incorrectly, it looks like 86% of people who tested positive still had antibodies in their system several weeks later, and presumably the bulk of the 14% who didn't may never had had antibodies due to never really getting sick in the first place.
Pretty sure you read it correctly. It's just the title of the article is purposely written to get the desired effect. Which it did perfectly with Rate this. It makes the chicken littles of the world go running around clucking "the end is near!". Because most lemmings never get past the title.
I read the article.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:07 pm

BMW, what exactly is your background in Epidemiology? Because John's Hopkins is about as conclusive as anyone in North America is going to get. They have been clear that it's not a practical step.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:39 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:07 pm
BMW, what exactly is your background in Epidemiology? Because John's Hopkins is about as conclusive as anyone in North America is going to get. They have been clear that it's not a practical step.
Actually, they have said that a vaccine is a form of herd immunity. They warn against trying to get to herd immunity too quickly but they don't discount it as practical.
What will it take to achieve herd immunity with SARS-CoV-2?

As the numbers above demonstrate, herd immunity is still a long way away. But in the long run, as with any other infection, there are two ways to achieve herd immunity: A large proportion of the population either gets infected or gets a protective vaccine. Based on early estimates of this virus's infectiousness, we will likely need at least 70% of the population to be immune to have herd protection. There are a few ways that might be achieved.

In the worst case—for example, if we do not perform physical distancing or enact other measures to slow the spread of SARS-CoV-2—the virus can infect this many people in a matter of a few months. This would overwhelm our hospitals and lead to high death rates.

In the best case, we maintain current levels of infection—or even reduce these levels—until a vaccine becomes available. This will take concerted effort on the part of the entire population, with some level of continued physical distancing for an extended period, likely a year or longer, before a highly effective vaccine can be developed, tested, mass produced, and administered.

The most likely case is somewhere in the middle, where infection rates rise and fall over time. We may relax social distancing measures when numbers of infections fall, and then we may need to reimplement these measures as numbers increase again. Prolonged effort will be required to prevent major outbreaks until a vaccine is developed. Even then, SARS-CoV-2 could still infect children before they can be vaccinated or adults after their immunity wanes. But it is unlikely in the long term to have the explosive spread that we are seeing right now because we hope that much of the population will be immune in the future.
https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/04/30/herd-imm ... ronavirus/

I'll restate my view ONCE AGAIN - we should be moving towards herd immunity as quickly as possible with 2 caveats:
1 - that we don't overwhelm our hospitals, and
2 - that we protect the most vulnerable

Getting to herd immunity is going to require that a majority of young, healthy people either get sick or get the vaccine.

RedMenace

Post by RedMenace » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 pm
RedMenace wrote:
bmw wrote:
Rate This wrote:
I read the article.
Then why did you post it with the title "Bmw... there’s mounting evidence AGAINST heard immunity and that Sweden got it wrong"?

When clearly it appears that the evidence shows the opposite of what you were said.

Counting all the assholes in the room I'm defiantly not alone.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:13 pm

RedMenace wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:32 pm
RedMenace wrote:
bmw wrote:
Rate This wrote:
I read the article.
Then why did you post it with the title "Bmw... there’s mounting evidence AGAINST heard immunity and that Sweden got it wrong"?

When clearly it appears that the evidence shows the opposite of what you were said.
The article specifically calls heard immunity likely in achievable and unethical... it does exactly what I said it does.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Daily death toll - Michigan compared to Sweden. Sweden didn't lock down and never issued mask mandates. Yet, they continue to have a lower death rate than Michigan, and in fact, are darn close to zero for a few weeks now.

No masks. No lockdowns. What am I missing here? Where is the evidence that the strict lockdowns and mask mandates in Michigan have actually saved any lives?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:38 pm

The lockdowns only delay the inevitable. Protect the vulnerable and let everybody else go on as normal.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:54 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:38 pm
The lockdowns only delay the inevitable. Protect the vulnerable and let everybody else go on as normal.
The majority of the vulnerable were people in nursing homes. Thus far nearly 30% of the deaths in the US have been specifically in nursing homes - what did Governor Whitmer do specifically early on to protect those people? Seemed to me she was more concerned with giving the republicans in the legislature the middle finger than she was about actually saving lives.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:02 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:54 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:38 pm
The majority of the vulnerable were people in nursing homes. Thus far nearly 30% of the deaths in the US have been specifically in nursing homes - what did Governor Whitmer do specifically early on to protect those people? Seemed to me she was more concerned with giving the republicans in the legislature the middle finger than she was about actually saving lives.
Originally that seemed like the most logical thing to do... but we soon learned it sure wasn’t.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Sticking people sick with a respiratory virus in amongst elderly people seemed like the most logical thing to do?

What planet do you live on?

Thread Killer

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:38 pm

What type of idiot would ever think it was good idea to mix them in?

I said wear a mask in March too!

So much for "experts".
Last edited by audiophile on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:39 pm

UP906 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:16 pm
Sticking people sick with a respiratory virus in amongst elderly people seemed like the most logical thing to do?

What planet do you live on?
The original idea was to Keep them in Covid wings... not that logistics always permits that or it’s in the end a wise move.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:43 pm

Why did the governor veto the "keep it separate" law, after it passed the legislature then?
Last edited by audiophile on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UP906

Post by UP906 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:45 pm

During flu season they lock down nursing homes if there is an elevated risk in the area.

Soooo... they install people with covid into nursing homes... just before summer starts and HVAC systems spread it facility wide.

Stretchin Gretchen is responsible for many deaths.

Admit it.

Thread Killer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic