Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Where's the evidence that "Stay at Home" slows the spread?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Where's the evidence that "Stay at Home" slows the spread?

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:53 pm

Look at the three most successful countries. How did they produce such low infection rates?

Maybe epidemiologists BMW and Audio can whip out a spreadsheet to dispute the lockdown success. I mean, Stanford has nothing on a home schooled high school education.

Read the methodology of the model I use.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ETe ... obilebasic

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am

What a cheap shot, besides I have taught in accredited public schools and received paychecks for it.

Without it the spread slows down, but it will just resume when lockdown is lifted. Actually the lock down can not be lifted until there is cure or until there is significant immunity wall.

In Asia they require masks. Period.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:45 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am
What a cheap shot, besides I have taught in accredited public schools and received paychecks for it.

Without it the spread slows down, but it will just resume when lockdown is lifted. Actually the lock down can not be lifted until there is cure or until there is significant immunity wall.

The last point being something they are talking about here now.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:45 am
audiophile wrote:

Asians have worn masks since SARS if not before

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:03 am

Rate This wrote:
audiophile wrote:

But what of the "experts", RT???

I'm an independent thinker and have been saying this for a while. It was just common sense.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 am

ftballfan wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 am
Rate This wrote:
audiophile wrote:

I realize that... I’m mentioning that it is being considered by the U.S. Government at this point.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:28 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:03 am
Rate This wrote:
audiophile wrote:

But what of the "experts", RT???

I'm an independent thinker and have been saying this for a while. It was just common sense.
I was only addressing the idea of requiring masks.. something experts are now debating and considering recommending.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Saw an interesting quote which as far as I know is factual
"The virus doesn't move. People move the virus. If people stop moving the virus stops moving with them.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 am
Rate This wrote:
audiophile wrote:

It's as though nobody in the White House watched 10 seconds of footage that came out of China and elsewhere. Masks. Temperature taking before entry into enclosed public spaces. We're doomed.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:53 pm
Maybe epidemiologists BMW and Audio can whip out a spreadsheet to dispute the lockdown success. I mean, Stanford has nothing on a home schooled high school education.
Oh, you want something from Stanford? How about this:
Two professors of medicine at Stanford University published an opinion article Tuesday in the Wall Street Journal, suggesting there is little evidence that the coronavirus would kill millions of people without shelter-in-place orders and quarantines...

On March 6, all 3,300 people of Vò were tested, and 90 were positive, a prevalence of 2.7%,” the professors said. “Applying that prevalence to the whole province (population 955,000), which had 198 reported cases, suggests there were actually 26,000 infections at that time. That’s more than 130-fold the number of actual reported cases. Since Italy’s case fatality rate of 8% is estimated using the confirmed cases, the real fatality rate could in fact be closer to 0.06%.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ality-rate

Wait, WHAT? Possibly a 0.06% fatality rate? Lower than the flu? From two professors of medicine at Stanford University?

What do you have to say to that, TC Talks? Why should i Believe your estimated mortality rate of 4% when I have two professors of medicine at Stanford University telling me that it could be as low as 0.06%?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:40 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:53 pm
Oh, you want something from Stanford? How about this:
Two professors of medicine at Stanford University published an opinion article Tuesday in the Wall Street Journal, suggesting there is little evidence that the coronavirus would kill millions of people without shelter-in-place orders and quarantines...

On March 6, all 3,300 people of Vò were tested, and 90 were positive, a prevalence of 2.7%,” the professors said. “Applying that prevalence to the whole province (population 955,000), which had 198 reported cases, suggests there were actually 26,000 infections at that time. That’s more than 130-fold the number of actual reported cases. Since Italy’s case fatality rate of 8% is estimated using the confirmed cases, the real fatality rate could in fact be closer to 0.06%.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ality-rate

Wait, WHAT? Possibly a 0.06% fatality rate? Lower than the flu? From two professors of medicine at Stanford University?

What do you have to say to that, TC Talks? Why should i Believe your estimated mortality rate of 4% when I have two professors of medicine at Stanford University telling me that it could be as low as 0.06%?
So what is 200,000 0.06% of?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:46 pm

Their suggestion is that for every 1 reported infection, there may actually be 50 or 60 that aren't reported. Which quite frankly makes sense if you believe that the R0 value is indeed 2.3 compared to 1.3 for the flu. If 30 million Americans had the flu this past season, it is not inconceivable that 9 million Americans actually have the coronavirus. We know it has been in the US going back to January. Maybe nearly 10 million Americans really do have it. Maybe most just don't get that ill.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:30 pm

China seems to be now admitting a greater number of patients are asymptomatic than previously believed.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-pressure

Whether or not that impacts planning from our government remains to be seen.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:46 pm
Their suggestion is that for every 1 reported infection, there may actually be 50 or 60 that aren't reported. Which quite frankly makes sense if you believe that the R0 value is indeed 2.3 compared to 1.3 for the flu. If 30 million Americans had the flu this past season, it is not inconceivable that 9 million Americans actually have the coronavirus. We know it has been in the US going back to January. Maybe nearly 10 million Americans really do have it. Maybe most just don't get that ill.
Even the administration is spitting out the 200,000 deaths figure as a best case...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 pm

Even the administration is spitting out the 200,000 deaths figure as a best case...

That 200,000 will be a success story.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic