Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Andrew Cuomo for President?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

Re: Andrew Cuomo for President?

Post by screen glare » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 pm

I hope Governor Andrew Cuomo survives this pandemic.
I just heard him - as he speaks Live on TV to NY (and the nation) - every day - today thanking The National Guard for helping to build a hospital in the Javitz center (a thousand beds for non-Corona hospital patients) in one week.

And if you’ve not seen him - believe me - he is clearly the kind of leader our entire nation requires.

Talk about presidential. He is magnificent in his organized thinking, calm but tough demeanor, preparation, compassion, courtesy, AND has big shoulders...meaning the ability to shoulder responsibility, shoulder blame, and gladly give credit where credit is due.

He also has a vibrant grasp of history. And he’s able to speak extemporaneously with passion, clarity, and historical context. Plus he has the talent to transmit thoughts and feelings right through whatever screen you’re watching him on, or in person.

I hope if Biden for whatever reason can’t take the helm - age, illness, Reagan-like early dementia - that Andrew Cuomo will be nominated as the democratic presidential candidate.

He is what our nation needs in this time of crises - he’s got what it takes.

Many Americans who had no knowledge of him - are now quite familiar with the governor - through these long daily briefings.

I bet they are surprised, AND - positively impressed as hell.
Last edited by screen glare on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Yes, folks should be impressed by how much he let his state get out of control!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Blasio kept schools open too for a long time while it raged.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:08 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:32 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:28 am
km1125 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:19 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:38 am
Is there actually a possibility Biden drops out before the convention and somebody like Cuomo gets the nomination instead?
Biden would have to suffer a serious, debilitating health setback for that to be a possibility.
His obvious signs of dementia?
He has a speech impediment. He’s been making these kinds of gaffes and misspeaks since he was in his early 30’s. It’s not dementia. Trumps rambling incoherent meandering from topic to topic while telling a story or answering a question in a press conference to the point it’s hard to follow what he’s trying to say however is very different from how he used to talk. That may be a sign of something. Most certainly his sentence structure has declined. That’s pretty quantifiable. All you have to do is read or listen to him in the 80’s and him now you can easily see something is way off. The sentence structure and speech now is at a far lower level than it used to be.
Seriously? You're comparing someone to what they were like 40 years ago??? Try ten. Trump has always been a bloviator, but at least he makes sense if you don't take him literally.
Ok even 10 or 15 years ago he talked more coherently without as much bloviation and non-sensical bullshit. You should never have to guess what a leader means and extrapolate like you’re saying. Making sense if you don’t take them literally works with the guy in the corner ranting at the bar but not really in a leadership role.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:08 pm
km1125 wrote:
Seriously? You're comparing someone to what they were like 40 years ago??? Try ten. Trump has always been a bloviator, but at least he makes sense if you don't take him literally.
Ok even 10 or 15 years ago he talked more coherently without as much bloviation and non-sensical bullshit. You should never have to guess what a leader means and extrapolate like you’re saying. Making sense if you don’t take them literally works with the guy in the corner ranting at the bar but not really in a leadership role.
The only problem is that there is a faction in this country (which unfortunately includes most the press) that intentionally misconstrues what he is saying instead of actually trying to clarify.

Did you see his recent announcements about Ford and GM helping to build ventilators?? He said they are working with both companies so they can start producing them to alleviate the shortages that are anticipated. The press immediately "fact checked" to say that neither Ford nor GM has yet to build one, so he must have been lying!! However, both Ford and GM acknowledged that there WERE working towards producing them, it's just not something that can be done overnight. Anyone with two neurons to rub together would have known that and would not have assumed they were already in production.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:09 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 pm
Rate This wrote:
km1125 wrote:
The only problem is that there is a faction in this country (which unfortunately includes most the press) that intentionally misconstrues what he is saying instead of actually trying to clarify.

Did you see his recent announcements about Ford and GM helping to build ventilators?? He said they are working with both companies so they can start producing them to alleviate the shortages that are anticipated. The press immediately "fact checked" to say that neither Ford nor GM has yet to build one, so he must have been lying!! However, both Ford and GM acknowledged that there WERE working towards producing them, it's just not something that can be done overnight. Anyone with two neurons to rub together would have known that and would not have assumed they were already in production.
I agree with you in the fact that the press does misconstrues what he says. You can call it fake news, you can say they are a democratic arm of the Democrats, I get it. I do like he gives the BS right back at them. What I don't like is he gives them ammo , right now he's giving Gov. Whitmer some great publicity. He probably should have just kept his mouth shut, but hey now she's getting all kinds of accolades cause she's giving him shit back but not being such an asshole about it. Now he just went off the rails on GM.......He's really coming apart at the seams.........Don't get me wrong, I love it that he gives some of the crap right back to the press but shit. That episode last week where he went off on the reporter was really uncalled for- especially during a pandemic. Let's put the assholery aside for the time being. I don't know much about Cuomo's policies but he seems like he's a straight shooter up there. I'd take him over Papa Joe

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:09 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:43 pm
Rate This wrote:
km1125 wrote:

I'm talking about the raw press conferences... not what somebody said about them. A world leader doesn't require constant clarification.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Trumps rambling incoherent meandering from topic to topic while telling a story or answering a question in a press conference to the point it’s hard to follow what he’s trying to say however is very different from how he used to talk.
Trump used to call into the Howard Stern show all the time.

His speaking pattern is indeed very different from what I remember even in the decade of the 00's. He was quite articulate back then. He seems more capable at discussing pop culture lucidly than matters of deep substance.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:14 pm

What type of cultures are we referring to here???

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:41 pm

LOL. :)

I was thinking Cuomo might be a decent pick as running mate for Biden, but I forgot the requirements. Two heterosexual males on a Democratic Party ticket for POTUS & VP are no longer allowed. I guess Cuomo would have to put on a wig and lipstick.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:30 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:09 pm
I agree with you in the fact that the press does misconstrues what he says.
Here's a PERFECT example of this just tonight from NBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/coronav ... rnors.html

Headline: "Trump says he told Pence not to call governors who aren’t ‘appreciative’ of White House coronavirus efforts"

Article includes the following:
Trump said that Pence “calls all the governors. And I tell him, I’m a different type of person, and I say, ’Mike, don’t call the governor of Washington. You’re wasting your time with him.”

“Don’t call the woman in Michigan. It doesn’t make any difference what happens,” Trump also said he told Pence, who leads the U.S. response to the coronavirus.
Completely absent from the text of the article? That immediately after making those comments, Trump said of Pence "he's a different type of person. He'll call, quietly, anyways."

Yeah, that last part is kind of important, don'tcha think?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:27 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:30 pm
Mr.Transistor wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:09 pm
I agree with you in the fact that the press does misconstrues what he says.
Here's a PERFECT example of this just tonight from NBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/coronav ... rnors.html

Headline: "Trump says he told Pence not to call governors who aren’t ‘appreciative’ of White House coronavirus efforts"

Article includes the following:
Trump said that Pence “calls all the governors. And I tell him, I’m a different type of person, and I say, ’Mike, don’t call the governor of Washington. You’re wasting your time with him.”

“Don’t call the woman in Michigan. It doesn’t make any difference what happens,” Trump also said he told Pence, who leads the U.S. response to the coronavirus.
Completely absent from the text of the article? That immediately after making those comments, Trump said of Pence "he's a different type of person. He'll call, quietly, anyways."

Yeah, that last part is kind of important, don'tcha think?
I think the biggest question is... why the fuck is it necessary to go down that road with such a stupid statement? What does that add to anything? People fully in control of their faculties do not say things like that.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:12 am

If Trump and Pence succumb to Coronavirus - because Pence is getting no sleep ( according to Trump ) and thus wearing down his immune system, and Trump is still finding ways to place himself too close to people instead of keeping six to ten feet away - then they both have opened the door for Nancy Pelosi to assume the presidency - according to the US constitution.

Certainly a possibility.

It’s therefore fortuitous that Trump did not invite her to today’s well-publicized $2 trill bill signing. Nothing but republicans crowded around the unfit prez - in a tight configuration - of loyalty - to their mad king.

President Pelosi. A fitting gift for her and the suffering, frightened USA as she marks her 80th birthday. With dignity. With experience. With honor. And a sharp eye out for con artists. Like Trump.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:50 am

BMW - the very first sentence of the news report you quoted states: "Trump said that Pence “calls all the governors..."

So, I guess I"m failing to see the importance of the omitted sentence.

Trump wants everyone to kiss his ass and tell him how great he is nonstop. If you dare criticize his administration's response publicly, regardless of the legitimacy of said criticism, he becomes a vengeful, ultra defensive, petty asshole.

The Defense Production Act should've been activated ten days ago, as major hospital lobbyist groups were requesting. There probably would've been more ventilators sooner had Trump taken that action.

Why stop at GM? Why isn't he asking aerospace companies to manufacture ventilators? Aerospace companies have a gigantic manufacturing footprint. How about companies that manufacture appliances and household electronics? Whirlpool immediately comes to mind.

One area where I will actually give the President very high marks is the Stimulus Package. I thought his advoacy for that legislation was constructive, and more importantly, was the right thing to do.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic