Acceptable registrations in the queue through November 21 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WHY?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 12047

WHY?

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:00 am

I didn't vote for the President, and I won't vote for him in November. Not because of policy, not because of personality, but because of things like this...
Politico's Playbook wrote:OK, NOW THIS IS GETTING REALLY INTERESTING.

FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS, TREASURY SECRETARY STEVEN MNUCHIN has been playing shuttle diplomacy between warring factions, hashing out a deal with Senate Minority Leader CHUCK SCHUMER, while keeping skeptical -- and, at times, angry -- Republicans apprised of the progress.

NOW, PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP is sharply criticizing the emerging accord, throwing its prospects into question. Why? Because, as we've seen time and time again, anything short of a full embrace from the president is not enough for Republicans. Unless you have that, negotiating with a Cabinet secretary can be like dealing with an independent contractor with the best intentions, but limited authority. Some Republicans have been quietly downplaying the Mnuchin-Schumer talks, and perhaps this is why.

AT 11:33 P.M., TRUMP tweeted, "Republicans had a deal until Nancy Pelosi rode into town from her extended vacation. The Democrats want the Virus to win? They are asking for things that have nothing to do with our great workers or companies. They want Open Borders & Green New Deal. Republicans shouldn't agree!" He also retweeted criticism of the deal, and said "this will never be approved by me, or any other Republican!"

SHORTLY BEFORE MIDNIGHT, SCHUMER told reporters that he and MNUCHIN were close to a deal. MNUCHIN had called TRUMP, SCHUMER said, and the president "seemed very happy with that."

OK, WE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING: that we're making too much of TRUMP'S tweets, and he might not know what's in the bill. And maybe so. Fine. Of course, Speaker NANCY PELOSI was not on an extended vacation. And this bill doesn't call for open borders or institute the Green New Deal. Maybe he needs to show that he's agreeing to the bill reluctantly, for some reason.
America cannot be run by one person... if that was okay with all of us, we would have stayed British subjects under a monarch. One party rule will not work - President Obama made that mistake with the Affordable Care Act, and it cost him dearly. And just now, when we see the government actually trying to work together in some small way, President Trump has to throw a land mine into the process with a "tweet" - which is basically a statement to his millions of followers making sure that NO ONE on the other side gets any credit.
You cannot run this country playing a zero sum game - that is, it needs to be at least a partial win for all sides. We are on a path toward the destruction of democracy. Is that okay with you? I'm not happy about it.



km1125
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: WHY?

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am

You're being led around by the nose from an article by a biased Politico.

What's not correct... that she wasn't on an official "long term" vacation?? Did she not try to put totally non-related things into this bill to further her own liberal agenda instead of focusing on what the country needs RIGHT NOW to get past this virus and its economic damage to the country??



Rate This
Posts: 6535
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: WHY?

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:38 am

km1125 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am
You're being led around by the nose from an article by a biased Politico.

What's not correct... that she wasn't on an official "long term" vacation?? Did she not try to put totally non-related things into this bill to further her own liberal agenda instead of focusing on what the country needs RIGHT NOW to get past this virus and its economic damage to the country??
No not exactly. Several of those things had short and medium term reasons for being there. The right made way too much out of them. The house was on recess this is true. However open borders and the green new deal were not in the bill. That’s the part of his tweet that’s especially ignorant and inflammatory. Only someone who was senile would do that and use “great negotiator” in the same sentence.



User avatar
HD74
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: SOMEWHERE BEHIND THE RACKS

Re: WHY?

Post by HD74 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 pm



You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Rate This
Posts: 6535
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: WHY?

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm

There have been a few overseas too. After he randomly spouted off about it.



Deleted User 12047

Re: WHY?

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:08 am
You're being led around by the nose from an article by a biased Politico.

What's not correct... that she wasn't on an official "long term" vacation?? Did she not try to put totally non-related things into this bill to further her own liberal agenda instead of focusing on what the country needs RIGHT NOW to get past this virus and its economic damage to the country??
I'm truly fascinated by your response. All that you say might be true. But how does the President trashing her get her to change her mind?

President Obama made a serious mistake not getting Republican buy in for the ACA.. in some way. That mistake cost them all three branches of government over the next 8 years. History shows the same thing will happen again.



bmw
Posts: 2528
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: WHY?

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:58 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 pm
But how does the President trashing her get her to change her mind?
Just curious - do you think it is a good idea for Governor Whitmer to be trashing Trump?



Deleted User 12047

Re: WHY?

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:58 pm
Radio Sucks wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:56 pm
But how does the President trashing her get her to change her mind?
Just curious - do you think it is a good idea for Governor Whitmer to be trashing Trump?
If you are referring to this quote -
This is a dire situation because I think this administration didn’t take it seriously enough on the front end.
which for arguments sake we will call “trashing” here’s my stand. It’s probably a bad idea to anger our President if you need something from him, based on past behavior. But if her goal was to get the attention of those looking for a VP it might have been the right move. Either way we are dangerously close to such a partisan divided government where nothing will ever get done. And both sides are guilty.

BTW, the Speaker was handed and open microphone today with the chance to “trash” the President and she passed. https://apple.news/Aiv3JhWNgS5-rTlNTyzsQYA



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic