Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How much better would the Covid-19 response be if Democrats were in control...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: How much better would the Covid-19 response be if Democrats were in control...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:26 am

...But you have to really wonder how "smart" Ivy Leagers really are. The Lori Laughlin case is just a microcosm of what has been going on for decades, if not centuries. The children of politicians and other devious influential types have been buying their way into Ivy League colleges for a long long time. They disguise it as "legacy" enrollments, but money often buys "legacy". They often don't count legacy applicant grades and test scores in "averages" as they would drive the averages way down. This would open them up to thousands of lawsuits by angry parents.
True!!! You speak the truth in this instance, TC Shuts Up.

As for whether or not the response would be better, same or worse if the Dems controlled the White House- who the hell knows? All we can do is speculate. I think the PERSON in charge is much more important than party label.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Re: How much better would the Covid-19 response be if Democrats were in control...

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:30 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:26 am
...But you have to really wonder how "smart" Ivy Leagers really are. The Lori Laughlin case is just a microcosm of what has been going on for decades, if not centuries. The children of politicians and other devious influential types have been buying their way into Ivy League colleges for a long long time. They disguise it as "legacy" enrollments, but money often buys "legacy". They often don't count legacy applicant grades and test scores in "averages" as they would drive the averages way down. This would open them up to thousands of lawsuits by angry parents.
True!!! You speak the truth in this instance, TC Shuts Up.

As for whether or not the response would be better, same or worse if the Dems controlled the White House- who the hell knows? All we can do is speculate. I think the PERSON in charge is much more important than party label.
Matt isn’t implying the Democrats I’m control of the marbles. He’s implying that the reason we are in the situation we are today is because they pursued impeachment instead of working to stop this. It’s utter garbage.

The bastard waited weeks before doing anything, ignoring warnings back to January. Now Matt and co. blame the Democrats for Trumps failures as a leader and a person:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 am

Literally EVERYONE in this country ignored the warnings back in January. Point me to a single state governor that was taking those warnings seriously and doing literally ANYTHING to prepare. Name one governor. Name one action.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 am
Literally EVERYONE in this country ignored the warnings back in January. Point me to a single state governor that was taking those warnings seriously and doing literally ANYTHING to prepare. Name one governor. Name one action.
That’s not the point... Matt is trying to blame a party that controls one chamber of one branch of government for the slow response. A response to something of this nature starts with the feds who get the intelligence and briefings and need to inform the states of what is going on. Instead Trump called it “The Next Hoax” and “It’s just one person from China, no big deal”... he had the information and chose to do nothing, including inform anybody else of the seriousness of what was coming. That’s on nobody but him. You can’t seriously expect the states to be able to figure this out for themselves with little to no information available.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:24 am

There was plenty of information available. The WHO began PUBLICLY posting DAILY situation reports on this virus back on January 21. And the information contained in those reports showed just how quickly the virus was spreading and how deadly it was in China. Take the Day 3 report for instance. 581 cases. 95 "severely ill" and 17 already dead. The information was there for anybody to analyze.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:00 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:24 am
There was plenty of information available. The WHO began PUBLICLY posting DAILY situation reports on this virus back on January 21. And the information contained in those reports showed just how quickly the virus was spreading and how deadly it was in China. Take the Day 3 report for instance. 581 cases. 95 "severely ill" and 17 already dead. The information was there for anybody to analyze.
But the fed controls the response not the states. They take the lead on foreign threats and get briefed. Now you’re trying to get the states to go get information that the feds sat on and Trump flat out ignored.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:04 am

The states had the same power to institute lock-downs months ago that they have now, and this data was readily available online to any governor who wanted to view it. TO BE CLEAR, I'm not letting Trump off the hook. But he can't be the lone scapegoat either.

A reality here that nobody is really talking about is that public opinion to such measures would have been drastically different even just a month ago. I mean, look back at the early responses in this thread. Some of the same people who back then said this was pure media hysteria and nothing to worry about are the same people who are now arguing that we didn't do enough. Most Americans seem to support at least some degree of "lock-down" now that the case numbers are exploding here, but a month ago? Two months ago? Good luck convincing Americans the threat that exists a month or two down the road if we don't right now lock everyone in their houses, even though there's visually almost no sign of a problem here in our country.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:33 am

A reality here that nobody is really talking about is that public opinion to such measures would have been drastically different even just a month ago.
Very true!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:36 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:04 am
The states had the same power to institute lock-downs months ago that they have now, and this data was readily available online to any governor who wanted to view it. TO BE CLEAR, I'm not letting Trump off the hook. But he can't be the lone scapegoat either.

A reality here that nobody is really talking about is that public opinion to such measures would have been drastically different even just a month ago. I mean, look back at the early responses in this thread. Some of the same people who back then said this was pure media hysteria and nothing to worry about are the same people who are now arguing that we didn't do enough. Most Americans seem to support at least some degree of "lock-down" now that the case numbers are exploding here, but a month ago? Two months ago? Good luck convincing Americans the threat that exists a month or two down the road if we don't right now lock everyone in their houses, even though there's visually almost no sign of a problem here in our country.
Ok fair enough... behind the scenes preparation by the feds was still nonexistent and it was still called a hoax and ignored. I’m talking about Trump, someone who leads the federal government and fiddled while Rome began to burn despite having a mountain of evidence experts were giving him. Convincing the people is a whole different ball game than somebody who had 2 months warning and denied it even existed. Preparation is everything in this... there was none. He could have easily given a sober speech and laid it all out there and said “the following things may become necessary in a few months time, begin to prepare now” while marshaling resources into disaster plans, getting with all 50 governors to coordinate possible responses and making test development the utmost priority. Instead it was a mother fucking hoax and all that lead time was squandered.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:44 am

Perspective...

There have been three Covid-19 deaths statewide to date. All three have had preexisting conditions and a weakened immune system

The City of Detroit routinely averages 5 homicides per week per year.

18.5 Michigander's die in traffic fatalities each week. Many because of government mandated CAFE standards that make our cars less safe.

Is this situation serious? Yes. But, at least in this State, I think we are experiencing a over reaction.

I have a gut feeling there is a hidden agenda somewhere. Wish I could figure it out.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:18 am
bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 am
That’s not the point... Matt is trying to blame a party that controls one chamber of one branch of government for the slow response. A response to something of this nature starts with the feds who get the intelligence and briefings and need to inform the states of what is going on. Instead Trump called it “The Next Hoax” and “It’s just one person from China, no big deal”... he had the information and chose to do nothing, including inform anybody else of the seriousness of what was coming. That’s on nobody but him. You can’t seriously expect the states to be able to figure this out for themselves with little to no information available.
I didn't blame anyone. I asked a fucking question. No one has answered...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm

I did answer. I said it's impossible to say one way or the other, and I also said the PERSON is more important than the party. Evidently, you didn't see my post from 8:26a ET today.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:33 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm
I did answer. I said it's impossible to say one way or the other, and I also said the PERSON is more important than the party. Evidently, you didn't see my post from 8:26a ET today.
My question was about if Democrats weren't "all up on their feels" with "ORANGE MAN BAD"; would we have been able to act sooner? Still not seeing an answer to that. This shit started last fall in this country, but we were dealing with a bullshit political vendetta.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:55 pm

This may answer at least the "headline" portion of the question.

A Joe Biden quote from March 12th, 2020:
Banning all travel from Europe — or any other part of the world — will not stop it. This disease could impact every nation and any person on the planet — and we need a plan to combat it

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:33 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm
My question was about if Democrats weren't "all up on their feels" with "ORANGE MAN BAD"; would we have been able to act sooner? Still not seeing an answer to that. This shit started last fall in this country, but we were dealing with a bullshit political vendetta.
It started last fall? How? It started in China in November or December... the states had their first case in February... how is that the Democrats fault? What were they supposed to do and how did they stop Trump from acting to get tests, coordinate with governors and otherwise prepare? This is some lame ass deflection Matt.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic