Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The media is lying to you

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: The media is lying to you

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 am

Malpractice is right.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 am

Please show me the "lie" -

NY Post:
A 21-year-old Spanish soccer coach was killed by the coronavirus while also battling leukemia, according to a report.

Francisco Garcia, a youth team coach at Malaga club Atletico Portada Alta, only received his cancer diagnosis after going to the hospital with symptoms of the virus, the Independent reported.

The coach had been advised to seek medical help after he began experiencing trouble breathing, Spanish newspaper Malaga Hoy reported.

Garcia was told that not only did he have both coronavirus and pneumonia, but he was also suffering from leukemia, according to the Independent.

Pep Bueno, the club president of Atletico Portada Alta, where Garcia had previously trained, said he received a call from the hospital Sunday that Garcia was in stable condition.

But within an hour, he was informed that Garcia’s health had greatly deteriorated, according to the report.

“I do not believe it. It seems impossible to me,” Bueno said, according to the Independent.
ESPN:
A Spanish youth coach has died after it was revealed he had the coronavirus and a previously unknown diagnosis of leukemia.

Francisco Garcia, 21, was coach of the junior team of Malaga-based club Atletico Portada Alta and had an unknown preexisting condition which was later revealed to be a form of leukemia. The leukemia was only discovered while he was in hospital receiving care after showing symptoms of the coronavirus, which Garcia was more susceptible to because of the preexisting condition.

The 21-year-old died on Sunday, making him the youngest person to have died from the coronavirus pandemic in Spain.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:24 pm

No. The coronavirus killed him because he had underlying conditions and he couldn’t handle the virus. Absent that he would still be alive. Therefore it killed him. Go away.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:03 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:34 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:24 pm
No. The coronavirus killed him because he had underlying conditions and he couldn’t handle the virus. Absent that he would still be alive. Therefore it killed him. Go away.
100% wrong.

“This guy died from a hangnail! Uh, his head was also chopped off, but he HAD A HANGNAIL!!!’”
This comment is so unhinged it’s not even worth responding to. You’re an imbecile.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:29 pm

I do think when most of the stories headline his age and not the underlying condition it is a bit misleading.
If the weatherman says its a bright sunny day, not a cloud in the gorgeous blue sky and there is a gentle cooling wind out of the west but fails to mention its 17 degrees below zero and the gentle breeze makes it feel like 27 below he may not have lied but he didn't give an accurate picture.

I no longer directly engage trolls

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:56 pm

It’s called lying by omission.

And it’s NOT considered - as LL101 bleats - “journalism 101”.

On another note - headlines are often not written by reporters.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:34 pm

As my arch nemesis wrote:NY Post “Soccer coach Francisco Garcia dies from coronavirus at age 21”

Msn.com “Spanish soccer coach for Atletico Portada Alta dies from coronavirus at age 21”

ESPN “ Spanish coach Francisco Garcia, 21, dies after coronavirus diagnosis”

The Independent “Francisco Garcia death: Spanish football coach dies from coronavirus aged 21”
Could these headlines be perceived as misleading? Possibly. But in reading a number of reports (and PLEASE show me where I'm wrong) the leukemia didn't kill him. He might have lived a long time with that - I know people, younger than him, that have lived for years with different strains of cancer and leukemia. He caught pneumonia caused by the coronavirus and that killed him. Yes, if you only read headlines, you may have been misled. That's your own fault.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:26 pm

So, If I'm driving drunk and I kill a pedestrian, who also has leukemia, My defense will be, "i didn't kill the kid. She already had leukemia."

That should work for me.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:55 am

The headlines are designed as clickbait by leaving out the most relevant information.
21 year old soccer coach dies of COVID-19 gets people's attention like 21 year old with underlying condition dies of COVID-19 doesn't. So while the headline isn't a lie it is intentionally misleading. Reminds me of the the Inquirer in the supermarket check out line.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:36 am

They all spin things to their flock in the name of ratings and clicks.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:59 pm

Can I ask a question? (and yes, I removed you from my "foe" list)..

What's your point? I know we will disagree on many themes and ideas, but let me present some:

1) There is no "the media" - it doesn't exist as a large joined organization with one goal list. It is a group of companies, most owned by billionaires and/or Wall Street investors. Each of those companies is profit oriented and it doing what it can to make money.

2) Yes I will grant you that many members of the media have a liberal bias or slant. You can see it in many interviews and stories.

3) Yes, perhaps "misleading headlines" lead to more clicks, which might lead to more revenue. An old adage of the news business is "if it bleeds, it leads." More viewers/readers/clickers leads to more ads and more revenue.

4) But for sure these companies are in it to make money. So they might be misleading. Many companies are in it to make money, and sometimes they are misleading as well.

5) By crying "The Media Is Lying To You" indicates some nefarious plot by a secret cabal which truly doesn't exist.

There is my point. What's yours?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:05 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:27 pm
My point is: Radio Sucks and so do you.
Translation: I surrender.
Last edited by Rate This on Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Done. Thanks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:49 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:45 pm
Done. Thanks.
Sorry I meant “I surrender” as in him.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:34 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:30 pm
Radio Sucks wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:45 pm
Done. Thanks.
Great! Then I accomplished what I wanted.
Not so fast...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic