Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Brian Williams Only Received 18 Hours Of College Credit-Apparently No Basic Math!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Ben Zonia

Brian Williams Only Received 18 Hours Of College Credit-Apparently No Basic Math!

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:38 pm

Brian Williams is literally a talking head. He has no Journalism degree, even a BS (Bachelor of Science). In fact, his whole college credits only total 18!

Apparently none of these credit hours were in basic mathematics.

He agreed with his interviewee that if the $500,000,000 that Michael Bloomberg spent on his campaign were distributed equally to all Americans, each American would have $1,000,000. In fact, $500,000,000 divided by 327,000,000 Americans is $1.53 each.

https://www.infowars.com/blah-blah-math ... ican-fail/

OK, if you don't believe it, go check out snopes. Almost verbatim with infowars!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bloom ... tical-ads/

Why do we believe anything they say?
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Lester The Nightfly

Re: Brian Williams Only Received 18 Hours Of College Credit-Apparently No Basic Math!

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:21 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:38 pm
Brian Williams is literally a talking head. He has no Journalism degree, even a BS (Bachelor of Science). In fact, his whole college credits only total 18!
Rush Limbaugh spend a good deal of his early career as a Rock n' Roll disc jockey spinin' the hits, so I'm not sure it's wise to get into a CV pecker-matching contest for media types...

Rate This

Re: Brian Williams Only Received 18 Hours Of College Credit-Apparently No Basic Math!

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:55 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:21 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Rush Limbaugh spend a good deal of his early career as a Rock n' Roll disc jockey spinin' the hits, so I'm not sure it's wise to get into a CV pecker-matching contest for media types...
For that matter Sean Hannity was a painter or something and got his start calling in to political radio shows and spending 30 seconds being super opinionated before the host moved on to the next caller... at least Limbaugh was remotely involved in media first... Hannity is a literal schlub that somebody gave a microphone to...

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:58 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:55 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
For that matter Sean Hannity was a painter or something and got his start calling in to political radio shows and spending 30 seconds being super opinionated before the host moved on to the next caller... at least Limbaugh was remotely involved in media first... Hannity is a literal schlub that somebody gave a microphone to...
I'm sure someone will chime in saying neither Limbaugh or Hannity are "newsmen", but it's a nuance lost upon a vast number of their listeners.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:23 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:

Apparently none of these credit hours were in basic mathematics.

He agreed with his interviewee that if the $500,000,000 that Michael Bloomberg spent on his campaign were distributed equally to all Americans, each American would have $1,000,000. In fact, $500,000,000 divided by 327,000,000 Americans is $1.53 each.

https://www.infowars.com/blah-blah-math ... ican-fail/

OK, if you don't believe it, go check out snopes. Almost verbatim with infowars!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bloom ... tical-ads/

Why do we believe anything they say?
And Peter Jennings never finished high school.
Yet both became millionaires.

The fact you're using infowars and snoopes as a source pretty much flushes away any credibility you were eager to have in your post.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:26 pm

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:58 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:55 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
I'm sure someone will chime in saying neither Limbaugh or Hannity are "newsmen", but it's a nuance lost upon a vast number of their listeners.
Hannity clouds things....I’ve heard him describe himself as an entertainer, commentator and journalist depending on the opportunistic situation he was in and who he was telling this to... usually it was in service of beating back a critic or liberal of some kind. He has also described his Fox show as “on the opinion side” and “we do real hard news journalism here, we break news on this program”... nobody could possibly be better than screwing with their resume and manipulating it in a Machiavellian fashion than Hannity...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:40 pm

It's true that Brian Williams is a college drop out. That tidbit has been out in the open for a very long time. Williams has openly talked about it.

The anecdotal reference about Mike Bloomberg, the $500 million, etc., is complete bullshit, however.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:51 am

I was driving when I heard the sound clip being played....funny stuff right there...Not quite sure how this has become the major item that it has. on air gaffs happen daily across the board so I guess it is an effect of the 24 hour news cycle that crap like this becomes such big news

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:06 am

Being off one decimal place is probably forgivable as an honest mistake. No one in their right mind would go air with those figures with any common sense. Hello!?!? Like Sum Ting Wong!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:38 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:40 pm
It's true that Brian Williams is a college drop out. That tidbit has been out in the open for a very long time. Williams has openly talked about it.

The anecdotal reference about Mike Bloomberg, the $500 million, etc., is complete bullshit, however.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:43 am

And it wasn't just Brian Williams, it was Mara Gay whose credentials are.....
Mara Gay is a member of the New York Times editorial board, focusing on New York State and local affairs. Before coming to The Times in 2018, she was a City Hall reporter at The Wall Street Journal, covering Mayors Bill de Blasio and Michael Bloomberg, and dozens of other stories that have shaped the nation’s largest, most dynamic city. Ms. Gay has also worked for the New York Daily News, The Atlantic and The Daily, an all-digital newspaper owned by News Corp. She has a degree in political science from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, is a New York City native and lives in Brooklyn.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:48 pm

I stand corrected and send my sincere apologies to Ben Zonia. I took a gamble as to the legitimacy of the claim and guessed wrong.

Geez, Ben, why couldn't you just post a link to the YouTube video like Craig did? :blink

I was too lazy to open the snopes.com link; I now regret not doing so!!

What's scary in all this is not only is Brian Williams a complete idiot, but so is the woman from the New York Times he was interviewing. (I am ashamed to see she is a fellow U-M alum.) Both clearly prepared for the topic to be discussed; a full screen graphic was prepared in advance. A producer presumably reviewed the material. NONE of them caught the mathetmatical faux pas. Unbelievable.

Then, further impugning what little journalistic credibility MSNBC has, the network failed to issued a retraction. Nice.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic