Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Schumer

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Schumer

Post by Bryce » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:57 am

Chuck Schumer's rant is really beyond the pale. A senior member of the U.S. Senate as well as a member of the New York Bar threatening Supreme Court Justices is disgraceful and maybe even illegal.

At the very least, he should be stripped of his law licence under NY Bar Rules Of Conduct:

RULE 8.4.

(d) engage in conduct that is prejudicial to the administration of
justice;
(e) state or imply an ability:
(1) to influence improperly or upon irrelevant grounds
any tribunal, legislative body or public official; or
(2) to achieve results using means that violate these Rules
or other law;
And, should be censured by the U.S. Senate.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:56 am

But its okay for the President to do the same thing?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/2 ... urt-117315

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:39 am

Radio Sucks wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:56 am
But its okay for the President to do the same thing?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/2 ... urt-117315
Apples and oranges. Calling for a judge to recuse themselves because of demonstrated bias is established legal precedent and is a far cry from threatening retribution for a future ruling that you may disagree with.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:59 am

Chuck Schumer is a shmuck and has always been a shmuck.

First, here's full Schumer quote, with context:
Inside the walls of this court, the Supreme Court is hearing arguments, as you know, for the first major abortion right cases since Justice Kavanaugh and Justice Gorsuch came to the bench. We know what’s at stake. Over the last three years, women’s reproductive rights have come under attack in a way we haven’t seen in modern history. From Louisiana to Missouri to Texas, Republican legislatures are waging a war on women, all women, and they’re taking away fundamental rights. I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.

The bottom line is very simple. We will stand with the American people. We will stand with American women. We will tell President Trump and Senate Republicans, who have stacked the court with right-wing ideologues, that you’re going to be gone in November, and you will never be able to do what you’re trying to do now ever, ever again. You hear that over there on the far right? You’re gone in November.
Justice Roberts' response was as follows:
Justices know that criticism comes with the territory, but threatening statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous. All Members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter.
Schumer's office responded as follows:
Sen. Schumer’s comments were a reference to the political price Senate Republicans will pay for putting these justices on the court, and a warning that the justices will unleash a major grassroots movement on the issue of reproductive rights against the decision. For Justice Roberts to follow the right wing’s deliberate misinterpretation of what Sen. Schumer said, while remaining silent when President Trump attacked Justices Sotomayor and Ginsberg last week, shows Justice Roberts does not just call balls and strikes,
Now my thoughts. Schumer very clearly targeted his remarks at the 2 judges, NOT at Congressional Republicans. "I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.

He calls them out by name and uses the word "you" SEVEN TIMES. For Schumer's office to suggest that Justice Roberts somehow misinterpreted his statement and that he was really referring not to the judges paying a price, but to "Senate Republicans" paying a price for putting those 2 named judges on the bench, is not only insulting to Roberts' intelligence, but is just factually wrong.

Schumer stepped in it big time and chose to double-down. Probably won't hurt him politically among his constituents, so he'll get away with it, but his behavior and response here were both utterly inappropriate.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:30 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:59 am

Inside the walls of this court, the Supreme Court is hearing arguments, as you know, for the first major abortion right cases since Justice Kavanaugh and Justice Gorsuch came to the bench. We know what’s at stake. Over the last three years, women’s reproductive rights have come under attack in a way we haven’t seen in modern history. From Louisiana to Missouri to Texas, Republican legislatures are waging a war on women, all women, and they’re taking away fundamental rights. I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.

The bottom line is very simple. We will stand with the American people. We will stand with American women. We will tell President Trump and Senate Republicans, who have stacked the court with right-wing ideologues, that you’re going to be gone in November, and you will never be able to do what you’re trying to do now ever, ever again. You hear that over there on the far right? You’re gone in November.
Justices know that criticism comes with the territory, but threatening statements of this sort from the highest levels of government are not only inappropriate, they are dangerous. All Members of the Court will continue to do their job, without fear or favor, from whatever quarter.
Sen. Schumer’s comments were a reference to the political price Senate Republicans will pay for putting these justices on the court, and a warning that the justices will unleash a major grassroots movement on the issue of reproductive rights against the decision. For Justice Roberts to follow the right wing’s deliberate misinterpretation of what Sen. Schumer said, while remaining silent when President Trump attacked Justices Sotomayor and Ginsberg last week, shows Justice Roberts does not just call balls and strikes,
Now my thoughts. Schumer very clearly targeted his remarks at the 2 judges, NOT at Congressional Republicans. "I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions.

He calls them out by name and uses the word "you" SEVEN TIMES. For Schumer's office to suggest that Justice Roberts somehow misinterpreted his statement and that he was really referring not to the judges paying a price, but to "Senate Republicans" paying a price for putting those 2 named judges on the bench, is not only insulting to Roberts' intelligence, but is just factually wrong.

Schumer stepped in it big time and chose to double-down. Probably won't hurt him politically among his constituents, so he'll get away with it, but his behavior and response here were both utterly inappropriate.
On the flip side if decisions like this galvanize women to vote democratic, they get the trifecta and add say 6 justices it will have indeed done exactly what he said. It will have come back to bite them and that’s the price they paid. Suddenly being vastly in the minority on the court... it doesn’t have to mean the electric chair or something violent for them to pay the price for the decision. It could completely destroy their power position for decades if that came to pass. They wouldn’t know what hit them.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:11 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:30 pm
bmw wrote:

On the flip side if decisions like this galvanize women to vote democratic, they get the trifecta and add say 6 justices it will have indeed done exactly what he said. It will have come back to bite them and that’s the price they paid. Suddenly being vastly in the minority on the court... it doesn’t have to mean the electric chair or something violent for them to pay the price for the decision. It could completely destroy their power position for decades if that came to pass. They wouldn’t know what hit them.
Its extremely sexist to insinuate that women are single issue voters.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:40 pm

Everyone knows - everyone with a brain, that is - that of course he is talking about the republicans who are in control of government. It’s all one big group. Garland-ignoring Mitch, his gang, Trump, his gang, Trump Supreme Court pricks, er picks, all anti-abortion republican state office holders, etc. One big bucket full of like mindedness to the extreme. Following a madcap harebrained dangerous president.

Nobody opposing all Trump’s interference in justice - whether civilian or military. All his disecration of the US Department of Justice. Witness intimidation. Calling out Supreme Court justices HE hates! Etc. That’s all fine!

Anybody who thinks Senator Schumer was suddenly changing character and talking about violence is either a liar/truth twister like Trump and Barr, or a blithering numbskull lobotomized idiot.

None the less - Schumer was inartful in his choice of wording - so that the Hannity’s and Limbaugh’s of the world could LITERALLY change the meaning of what he was thinking. And make it seem as if mild-not-wild Chuck had suddenly begun to threaten violence.

BTW - I’d be careful about calling a Jewish man a schmuck. It’s a Yiddish word. You might be accused of something for which you don’t want to be called out, bmw. And - you spelled it wrong.

Deleted User 14896

It's all about ME

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Schumer is from New York. Everyone there is so full of themselves.

Remember when parts of Manhattan lost power for 3 hours? The mayor is on TV like Armageddon happened.
The governor holds a press conference. For a 3 hour power outage? Really?
And every anchor is on the Nightly News carrying on like the world came to an end for awhile.
If anywhere else in the country had lost power for a few hours, would we of even heard about it?

And electing Hillary as a senator. Be honest.
Is there any other state in the whole union that would of elected a carpetbagger to represent them in the US Senate?

They're on a different wavelength.

There's something about New Yorkers. They think their world is the center of the universe. And like I said, it's not just the politicians. It's the media. NYC is the world headquarters for ABC, NBC and CBS. Look how the national media talks to everyone else in the country like "You can't be right if you think we're wrong".

Rate This

Re: It's all about ME

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:16 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:00 pm
Schumer is from New York. Everyone there is so full of themselves.

Remember when parts of Manhattan lost power for 3 hours? The mayor is on TV like Armageddon happened.
The governor holds a press conference. For a 3 hour power outage? Really?
And every anchor is on the Nightly News carrying on like the world came to an end for awhile.
If anywhere else in the country had lost power for a few hours, would we of even heard about it?

And electing Hillary as a senator. Be honest.
Is there any other state in the whole union that would of elected a carpetbagger to represent them in the US Senate?

They're on a different wavelength.

There's something about New Yorkers. They think their world is the center of the universe. And like I said, it's not just the politicians. It's the media. NYC is the world headquarters for ABC, NBC and CBS. Look how the national media talks to everyone else in the country like "You can't be right if you think we're wrong".
Yes there is... Indiana in 3 different ways, Oregon and Connecticut... and that was just the first link I clicked and its only talking about recent history (say 2006-2012 when it was written)...

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:17 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:11 pm
Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:30 pm
bmw wrote:

Its extremely sexist to insinuate that women are single issue voters.
It's also something that may get them motivated snide comments aside.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:29 pm

Yeah. Look out for outlaw Schumer. He’s one violent gun slinger!
Never seen such a violent US Senator. Stand back! You’ll get shot, boys! That straight shooter is VIOLENT! Never seen such a violent rifleman!

And now he’s threatening violence against two judges down at the courthouse!

Get a rope.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:59 pm

Chuckie says " I'm from Brooklyn, we speak plain.". He thinks that's A Ok. Trump is from Queens. When he speaks "plain" it's a atrocity.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:36 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:59 pm
Chuckie says " I'm from Brooklyn, we speak plain.". He thinks that's A Ok. Trump is from Queens. When he speaks "plain" it's a atrocity.
Trump does it in a boorish and juvenile way... his crowds eat it up... maybe it represents his base?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:00 am

No matter. Bottom line is - majority opinion of US population - including females - is pro choice.

And in a very plain way - THAT majority opinion will over rule Roberts, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dumb Trump, and any other human who tries to stop American females from controlling their own private property - their bodies. And their lives.

As plain as plain can be.

Meanwhile - according to Fox, Rush, Roberts - Mild-not-Wild Senator Schumer has suddenly changed his life-long character - and is threatening violence on the Gore-shitz and Carve-a-Law boys - down at the courthouse!

Get a rope.
Last edited by screen glare on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:27 am

Bryce - Trump publicly speaks thousands of well documented lies. And THAT’s the difference.

Which undercuts your attempt above at a NYC-style comparison/contrast/conclusion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic