Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Chris Matthews done at MSNBC

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Chris Matthews done at MSNBC

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:46 pm

I didn't frequently watch his show, but through the years I've found him to be one of the only tolerable hosts on MSNBC. He has "resigned" (ie - forced out)

Rate This

Re: Chris Matthews done at MSNBC

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:02 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:46 pm
I didn't frequently watch his show, but through the years I've found him to be one of the only tolerable hosts on MSNBC. He has "resigned" (ie - forced out)

That’s unfortunate but he was also getting up there in years... I kind of wonder how much longer he had anyways?

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 pm

I heard he was gonna leave after the election cycle, but all of the recent gaffes sped things up. I always found him annoying as hell.
The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:12 pm

Yeah, I figured he was near retirement anyways - I always just hate to see (regardless of your political affiliation) broadcasting careers end on a sour note such that your legacy isn't your 20 or 30 years on the air, but rather that stupid thing you said or did.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:17 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:12 pm
Yeah, I figured he was near retirement anyways - I always just hate to see (regardless of your political affiliation) broadcasting careers end on a sour note such that your legacy isn't your 20 or 30 years on the air, but rather that stupid thing you said or did.
He was a bit more to the right of Maddow and company I think... I’m surprised he lasted so long...

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Rumor even has it he once, many years ago, guest-hosted for Rush Limbaugh one time. That would be interesting audio to listen to.

Kinda funny that even someone like Matthews was too conservative for MSNBC. He was NOT a Bernie fan and he made no bones about it. I don't know if these recent "gaffes" were the real reason he was forced out or rather if the brass at MSNBC decided that Matthews no longer fit the "demo."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:42 am

Free speech is lost. Chris' analogy to France's army defeat was tame.

Maybe these people would enjoy China where innuendo is banned:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -crackdown
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 am

I used to watch his show and thought he could do a good job at moderating and getting the conversation going. However, he spent too much time drinking the Kool-aid at MSNBC and became intolerable quickly.
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:22 am
Where are we in society when we can’t compliment women’s appearances without threat of being fired?
Yes we are (sadly). It completely depends on who you are though, so it's better not to risk it. Even if the person it was directed to was not offended in any way at all, someone else overhearing it can escalate it to the point of firing.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:19 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:42 am
Somehow this post didn’t come thru so I am editing...

This is less about free speech and more about out-staying his expiration date. He should have taken the Tom Brokaw/Walter Cronkite path.
Last edited by Deleted User 12047 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:21 am

audiophile wrote:

Are you referring to free speech as outlined in the First Amendment?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:05 pm

I think he was forced out because he had a "Thrill" going down more than his leg.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:21 am
audiophile wrote:

That would be the amendment that defines the GOVERNMENTS ability to silence you. The first amendment doesn’t mean what these people think it means. Private organizations can absolutely can you for saying something they don’t like... the first amendment isn’t applicable and never has been.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:04 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:09 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:21 am
audiophile wrote:

That would be the amendment that defines the GOVERNMENTS ability to silence you. The first amendment doesn’t mean what these people think it means. Private organizations can absolutely can you for saying something they don’t like... the first amendment isn’t applicable and never has been.
Precisely.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:15 pm

No, I was referring to the constant shaming.

"He compared him a 'Nazi'..."

Uh, no he didn't. I haven't watched him on MSNBC in decades, but this is silly. Coffee Grounds!
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:47 pm

There's a good article out there somewhere (wish I could find the link again) that said the new "sexual misconduct" allegations were filed right after Matthews did the Warren interview where he asked some tough questions. The allegations were filed by a big Warren supporter.

True or not, we'll probably never know, and also we'll probably never know if they were really "offenses" in the first place. But curious timing in the filing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic