Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Could We Have a Sane Discussion About Abortion?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 12047

Could We Have a Sane Discussion About Abortion?

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:20 pm

It is certainly a hot button third-rail topic, and for good reason. I'm going to offer my own tortured thoughts on the subject, which I know will subject me to all sorts of name calling and trolling. But if we could have a serious, sane discussion on the topic, it just might help.

I hate the thought of killing a baby, but I also hate the thought of the government telling anyone what to do with their body.

Do you prosecute the mother who makes the decision or just the doctor who carries out her wishes?

I can't justify being against abortion and for the death penalty.

Making something illegal doesn't stop it from happening... see murder, drug use, child molestation.

We now live in a world where one income households are rare and not really feasible. Parents need child care to make ends meet. Children need health care, which gets more expensive every day. It seems to me that those who are against abortion would look a lot more credible if they were also campaigning to support the baby after it's born as much as they are trying to protect if before it's born.

Thanks... girding my loins now for replies.

Deleted User 12047

Re: Could We Have a Sane Discussion About Abortion?

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:04 pm

lovinlife101, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
Don't know if I'm going to push this button or not.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:09 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:04 pm
lovinlife101, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.
Display this post.
Don't know if I'm going to push this button or not.
I did for you... don’t bother.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:18 pm

The consequences of abortion should be left to God. As for the law, life begins at birth (or 26 weeks based on court decisions) so to call an abortion murder is just ignorant.

Row v Wade protects this medical procedure but if having an abortion conflicts with your faith, don't have one.

What is left to discuss?

(Rate This, I have had this poster on ignore shortly after it's first post in the Political forum. You'll never look back.)

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:31 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:20 pm
I hate the thought of killing a baby, but I also hate the thought of the government telling anyone what to do with their body.
If the baby is viable, then it's a life and that life should be protected just as it would be at 1 month, 12 months or 10 years.
Radio Sucks wrote:
I can't justify being against abortion and for the death penalty.
Someone who has qualified for the death penalty has proven they are a threat to society and human life. Not likely the baby has done that, but I guess if you could prove they have then maybe they do deserve the same fate.
Radio Sucks wrote:
We now live in a world where one income households are rare and not really feasible. Parents need child care to make ends meet. Children need health care, which gets more expensive every day. It seems to me that those who are against abortion would look a lot more credible if they were also campaigning to support the baby after it's born as much as they are trying to protect if before it's born.
It's just not true that you need more than one income for a household. The ONLY reason many THINK they do is because of unrealistic expectations. I don't know how many "low income" folks I know that pay monthly for cable and fast Internet, always buy the latest iPhone that's out, and also have an iPad or two that are on data plans, among many other luxuries. While you're in a starting job and trying to raise a family, a lot of those luxuries should be bypassed until you climb a couple rungs on the ladder.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:36 pm

Again, you are mixing your religion with law. We have a division of church and state in the U.S.

Anyone who is defending unborn fetuses, where are you with living children in cages and foster care? Because it seems like a bunch of hypocrisy flying around.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:20 pm

It IS hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:26 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:31 pm
It's just not true that you need more than one income for a household. The ONLY reason many THINK they do is because of unrealistic expectations.
BINGO! Studies have shown that people classified as living in poverty in the U.S., have better lifestyles than the people designated as middle class in many other countries.

Here's the deal. If there isn't a heartbeat, it's a abortion. If there's a heartbeat, it's murder.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:27 pm

My view of abortion is that it's morally wrong. If the woman was a member of my family or someone else over whom I had influence I would try to dissuade her. But, in the end, it would be her decision.

I don't believe I have the right to enforce my moral code on others.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:29 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:26 pm
km1125 wrote:
It's just not true that you need more than one income for a household. The ONLY reason many THINK they do is because of unrealistic expectations.
BINGO! Studies have shown that people classified as living in poverty in the U.S., have better lifestyles than the people designated as middle class in many other countries.

Here's the deal. If there isn't a heartbeat, it's a abortion. If there's a heartbeat, it's murder.
But doesn’t it get a heartbeat well before it’s able to survive outside the mother?

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:31 pm

Each pregnant female chooses weather to carry and deliver, or abort. It’s a universal choice. And it’s private. None of your business - because it is not your body.

As irritating, infuriating, confounding, unjust, not fair, or whatever you believe each female’s choice is - it is hers.

And legal, or not, determined pregnant females will always accomplish abortion, if they choose that option. Either DIY, or with assistance.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:24 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:26 pm
km1125 wrote:

Reasonable, definable, consistent!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:15 am

Lots of interesting points...
This is the same thing as asking “Can we have a sane conversation about slavery, pedophilia, rape, and genocide?”
And you thought you were blocked! No, I'm afraid it's not as none of those things are legal today, while abortion is legal. imagine if slavery was legal today, there would be a lot of questions that would need to be answered as moves were made to outlaw it.
If the baby is viable, then it's a life and that life should be protected just as it would be at 1 month, 12 months or 10 years.
Is that viability defined? How?
Someone who has qualified for the death penalty has proven they are a threat to society and human life.
Sorry, but that is not correct. Someone who has been sentenced to death received that sentence because 12 other people were convinced of that person's guilt. Those 12 people are human, and humans make mistakes. And the commandment doesn't say "Thou Shall Not Kill... EXCEPT".
It's just not true that you need more than one income for a household.
What studies? Please document your claims. In Michigan, a family of four needs a salary of $64K before taxes. That’s according to updated data from MIT’s living wage calculator, which determines the minimum amount necessary to meet basic needs without dipping into poverty or relying on outside help. The model takes into account factors such as food, housing, child care and health insurance, in addition to other regular costs, and doesn’t include conveniences or luxuries such as restaurant meals, vacations or money left over for investments. That's a lot of money. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/16/how-muc ... state.html
Radio Sucks: “Whatever shall we do?! Criminalizing murder would be a logistical nightmare! It’s not like ‘safe and legal’ murder was only allowed since 1973.”
This is a total misquote and mischaracterization. What I said was.. "Making something illegal doesn't stop it from happening." If you truly want to stop all abortions and save all unborn babies, declaring it murder and calling it a day won't accomplish that.
Radio Sucks and so do your arguments.
I'm not making any arguments, I'm asking questions.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:26 am

Heartbeat can define viability.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am

...and with that, SG's argument has been dissected, crushed, cut up, pulverized and thrown away.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic