Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:33 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:51 pm
Even if it did - notice nobody is shedding so much as a tear or changing their lifestyle whatsoever for the 7450 people who died from other causes; only those who died from Coronavirus.
If you are suggesting no one is shedding a tear for folks who are dying from cancer or other horrible diseases, then you are living in la-la land.
Individual family and friends obviously shed tears for lost loved ones, regardless of cause of death. But outside of that circle, nobody cares. Sure, people might say they care, but they don't stop and think about it for any length of time.

Show me the cancer-death ticker on CNN or Fox News and you might have a point.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:45 pm

I don't know - there seem to be TONS of people who raise awareness (and research money) for breast cancer multiple times a year. These efforts receive plenty of attention from local & national media outlets.

There seem to be plenty of people concerned about deaths arising from gun violence.

There also seem to be plenty of people concerned about deaths from Opioid abuse.

And, for decades, plenty of attention has been paid to drunken driving.

All four of those causes of death, plus others, have received plenty of attention in the media in recent years. (Suicide is another.)

So, the empirical evidence doesn't suggest your perception is accurate.

The reason much more attention at the moment is focused on COVID-19 is because it is a fast-spreading, acute threat that has only recently emerged and is overwhelming hospital capacity and even morgue capacity in multiple locales.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Responding to just a couple of points:

First, sure - there are groups out there who raise awareness for various causes. But I would venture a guess that most of the people who take up those causes do so because they personally lost a close friend or family member.

As to gun violence - what has the government done to address this problem? They've had decades, and in that time, they have done nothing even remotely close to what our government has done in the past 3 weeks to try to curb the Coronavirus.

As to drunk driving - same thing. Been a problem for nearly a century. In that century, has the government once temporarily banned alcohol or shut down the roads to try to curb the problem?

And I'll add a much more recent problem to this list - cell phone-caused deaths. 6,000 a year. What has the government done to cure this problem? Some localities have banned texting while driving, but not all. Certainly doesn't seem to be much urgency at all in fixing this problem.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:58 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:33 pm

Show me the cancer-death ticker on CNN or Fox News and you might have a point.
Here's one I'd like to see...

Absolutely preventable deaths. News media avoids it like the third rail.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:01 pm

And I'll add a much more recent problem to this list - cell phone-caused deaths. 6,000 a year. What has the government done to cure this problem? Some localities have banned texting while driving, but not all. Certainly doesn't seem to be much urgency at all in fixing this problem.
The state of Florida is really cracking down. They call it a secondary offense. The Cop can't stop you for using the phone, but if you're using it when you get stopped for something else, you can be charged.

So, if you're driving the getaway car from a bank robbery and you see the flashing blue lights in the mirror, better hang up the phone. Or else, in addition to the armed robbery rap, you'll also be hit with a $30 fine.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:58 pm

LOL

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:36 pm

This one is for all the Trump patsy's... And no, no one believes all your conspiracy theories, but yes, we all know the failures that Trump owns because of his child like mind.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:49 pm

The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Wow..And there are still people who view the threat as an exaggeration or even a hoax.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:12 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:08 pm
Wow..And there are still people who view the threat as an exaggeration or even a hoax.
Just like Gun violence... it’s not real until you lose somebody...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 am
Partially agree, I would take it one step further - this amounts to taking without compensation.
Well, well, I predicted this...
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 990561001/

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:03 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 pm
audiophile wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:14 am
Partially agree, I would take it one step further - this amounts to taking without compensation.
Well, well, I predicted this...
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 990561001/
The courts have already found previously that the stuff they aren’t arguing about in the first paragraph cancels the rest of their argument... they can try I guess. More than likely they’ll lose quick...

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:26 pm

They're going to lose on the taking without compensation claim. The exact language of the 5th Amendment says "nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation." The key phrase here is "for public use." The government is not using anybody's private property for public use; rather, they're simply telling people that they can't travel between properties.

Of everything in Whitmer's order, I see two items that are the least likely to pass constitutional muster if anybody were to actually bring a federal suit (based on something other than the 5th Amendment) on these: the prohibition on travel between residences and the prohibition of usage of motorized boats. Per a CNN article from about 5 days ago discussing the case of Jacobson v. Massachusetts.:
Metzger speculated that "shelter in place" rules would generally pass constitutional muster but blanket travel restrictions, for example keeping all New Yorkers from crossing state borders, would not. She said the 1905 opinion should be interpreted in combination with subsequent high court decisions on individual rights.

"Jacobson stands for the proposition that (government) can take significant measures for public health," Metzger said. "But it doesn't give a free pass to regulation. There has to be a real or substantial relation" between problem and solution.
There's another case I remember reading about (can't find it now) that found something along the line of during a pandemic, emergency restrictions of otherwise Constitutionally-protected activity must be narrowly targeted at the problem and cannot be overly broad or arbitrary - and that if a Plaintiff can demonstrate that there were blatantly obvious less-restrictive ways to accomplish the government's goal, then the more heavy-handed restrictions may be deemed unconstitutional.

Applying this standard to the above restrictions I mentioned, even Whitmer admitted in both instances that these tougher restrictions were designed to limit congregation between people. I would argue that this is overly broad insofar as there were already other provisions in the order designed to accomplish the same goal - specifically, the provision banning congregations of any size. In other words, cite people for the actual offense of congregation, NOT for engaging in activity that the governor has deemed might lead to other offenses.

Whitmer might also have a problem if anybody were to bring a suit alleging violation of equal protection under the law - specifically in regards to keeping the state Lottery up and running while forcing other businesses far less likely to spread the virus to close. That whole keeping-the-lottery-open gaffe might come back to bite her if somebody uses it correctly in court.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:35 am

It is definitely arbitrary and capricious. For instance, she announced a liquor buyback program, but not a buyback for other industries.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:54 am

The liquor lobby has EVERY GOP Legislator in their back pocket. Good luck fighting this, because you would be fighting your bought and paid for GOP...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic