Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:18 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:03 pm
BMW has gotten tragically quiet about his predictions and his need for business to remain open.
My prediction was overly optimistic. I've addressed this already in another thread. But I'll still bet that when all is said and done, the number is closer to 2,000 than to the 200,000 or 1 million numbers that I'm seeing other people throw around.

As to businesses re-opening - again, the health consequences of steep economic decline will be severe. But nobody wants to talk about those. Suicide rates increase, heart attacks increase, more people can't afford healthcare, I could go on and on.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:14 am

Besides cleaning your hands, clean your teeth too!!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:36 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:18 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:03 pm
BMW has gotten tragically quiet about his predictions and his need for business to remain open.
My prediction was overly optimistic. I've addressed this already in another thread. But I'll still bet that when all is said and done, the number is closer to 2,000 than to the 200,000 or 1 million numbers that I'm seeing other people throw around.

As to businesses re-opening - again, the health consequences of steep economic decline will be severe. But nobody wants to talk about those. Suicide rates increase, heart attacks increase, more people can't afford healthcare, I could go on and on.
is that speculation? I have spoken to 50 + businesses this week none are suicidal or near heart attack. Most are frustrated or disappointed.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:24 am

Not speculation. Based on fairly recent studies.

Regarding suicide:
In an academic article two years ago, Taiwanese researchers showed a direct link between unemployment and suicide, a link that can linger for up to three years after unemployment has already retreated. Even a brief recession has lasting consequences. In rough terms, each 1 percent rise in unemployment leads to one additional suicide for each 100,000 people. If unemployment increases by 5 percent in the current economic shutdown, that could mean some 16,500 additional suicides. A 10 percent spike in unemployment could mean some 30,000 additional suicides.
https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/489 ... our-health

Regarding heart attacks:
Among Americans between the ages of 50 and 75, a study in the Archives of Internal Medicine found the unemployed are 35 percent more likely to suffer a heart attack.
So time to do some math here. Per the CDC in 2019, 805,000 Americans have a heart attack every year. 94 million people are aged 50-75, and while exact numbers are hard to come by, it looks like roughly 45% of all heart attacks are people in this age group, or roughly 362,000.

So let's apply these numbers to the Internal Medicine study. For every 1% increase in the unemployment rate, 1250 more people in the 50-75 age group will have a heart attack within 1 year.

So just looking at heart attacks and suicides, a 5% increase in unemployment means 16,500 more suicides and 6,250 more heart attacks annually. Worth noting, however, is that while I can't find the entire Taiwanese study without paying for it, the abstract indicates that the suicide rates are somewhat mitigated by government welfare. Meaning, the stimulus package that was just passed will actually reduce suicide rates.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:38 am

But, mr/mrs/ms/choose something else bmw, I'd be interested in your updated COVID-19 case and death protections please.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Worth noting, however, is that while I can't find the entire Taiwanese study without paying for it, the abstract indicates that the suicide rates are somewhat mitigated by government welfare. Meaning, the stimulus package that was just passed will actually reduce suicide rates.
Financial ruin does indeed lead to increased suicide.

This is one reason the Michigan UIA debacle of 2014/2015 was so upsetting to me. Arguably the most underreported story in Michigan of the past 25 years.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:58 pm

CNBC put together a pretty interesting montage of the evolution of Trumps coronavirus response... it’s about 5 minutes or so:
https://youtu.be/2eB_xCk5ABw

I found what he said on the 17th of March compared to all of his earlier statements to be particularly egregious...

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:07 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:15 pm
Honeyman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:41 pm
Less than 2000 people?!? Add two zeroes and you still wont be close! And what kind of human being tries to pick death counts from this global tragedy like its a point spread in a football game?!?
Looks like you just did, by saying that it'll be well over 200,000. At least I was being optimistic. You're predicting doom and gloom in numbers that I don't see happening, even given recent developments.
Honeyman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:41 pm
You are a disgusting individual.
This from the person who not that long ago told a conservative poster in this forum who said he was having health issues to just kill himself already and to do it before November since Michigan is a swing state. And you have the nerve to call ME a disgusting individual after making a comment like that? :lol
The comment mentioned was taken out of context, but admittedly was wrong and I apologized to YM. I made a mistake. However, a stupid retort on a message board that reaches dozens isnt quite the same as the words said by our president in the past few weeks. These statements will result in scores of people infected and dying. Yet you have no vitriol for him.

The number of American deaths is already over 2000. You should stick to poll numbers.

The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 am

I am saddened by the fact that BMW hasn't mentioned his concern for heart attacks or suicide until they were ways to demonstrate how shelter in place made our democrat governor look bad. I am less concerned by small business owners than the impacts their decisions have on their workers. Some business owners have been wonderful, others have not.

It seems that this situation is heartbreaking any angle you slice it. People who obstruct the safest way to get through this should be ridiculed and shamed when it's all done. But I sense we will all be so sad at the lost of humanity we won't care.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:48 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 am
I am saddened by the fact that BMW hasn't mentioned his concern for heart attacks or suicide until they were ways to demonstrate how shelter in place made our democrat governor look bad.
That's utter nonsense. I said right from day 1 that shutting down the country would have severe negative health consequences. I said that before Whitmer even shut down anything.
I am less concerned by small business owners than the impacts their decisions have on their workers. Some business owners have been wonderful, others have not.
So you're perfectly fine with them having more heart attacks and committing more suicides? Karma I guess?
It seems that this situation is heartbreaking any angle you slice it. People who obstruct the safest way to get through this should be ridiculed and shamed when it's all done. But I sense we will all be so sad at the lost of humanity we won't care.
I see you've been posting in these forums for at least 15 years. In that time, at least a 500,000 Americans died from the seasonal flu. Did you ever once in those 15 years make one single remark in these forums about how sad you are about those lives lost? Just once? I continue to not get anybody explaining to me how the lives lost to Coronavirus are somehow more important than lives lost to other viruses.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:00 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:48 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 am
I am saddened by the fact that BMW hasn't mentioned his concern for heart attacks or suicide until they were ways to demonstrate how shelter in place made our democrat governor look bad.
That's utter nonsense. I said right from day 1 that shutting down the country would have severe negative health consequences. I said that before Whitmer even shut down anything.
I am less concerned by small business owners than the impacts their decisions have on their workers. Some business owners have been wonderful, others have not.
So you're perfectly fine with them having more heart attacks and committing more suicides? Karma I guess?
I see you've been posting in these forums for at least 15 years. In that time, at least a 500,000 Americans died from the seasonal flu. Did you ever once in those 15 years make one single remark in these forums about how sad you are about those lives lost? Just once? I continue to not get anybody explaining to me how the lives lost to Coronavirus are somehow more important than lives lost to other viruses.
It’s not about lives lost. It’s about overrunning the healthcare system with an unfathomable surge of living people. This is all being done with that as goal #1. They know that left unchecked the healthcare system in the U.S. would collapse.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:22 pm

No joy from the "Sunday Shows"

Fauci said “Looking at what we’re seeing now, I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 [deaths], but I don’t want to be held to that"
Brix said: “Every metro area should assume that they could have an outbreak equivalent to New York”

The question that no one seems willing to address is what metric will be used to determine when it's safe to start going about our business without fueling the fire. 14 days after no new cases? 10 days after a 80% drop? An immediate 50% drop?

I have to believe epidemiologists have charts and tables for this kind of thing. When conditions X, Y and Z are met it's no longer necessary to keep folks 'distancing' but I've not read or heard it expressed. Are we to rely on Trump*'s gut?

[EDIT: Fauci just said of Cuomo's request for 30,000 ventilators “One way or another, he needs the ventilators that he needs and hopefully we will get him the ventilators that he needs." “There are a lot of different calculations. My experience, I tend to believe Gov. Cuomo”. NOTE TO TONY: Please have someone other than yourself starting your car in the morning. We need you to be safe.]
Last edited by Lester The Nightfly on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:22 pm
No joy from the "Sunday Shows"

Fauci said “Looking at what we’re seeing now, I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 [deaths], but I don’t want to be held to that"
Brix said: “Every metro area should assume that they could have an outbreak equivalent to New York”

The question that no one seems willing to address is what metric will be used to determine when it's safe to start going about our business without fueling the fire. 14 days after no new cases? 10 days after a 80% drop? An immediate 50% drop?

I have to believe epidemiologists have charts and tables for this kind of thing. When conditions X, Y and Z are met it's no longer necessary to keep folks 'distancing' but I've not read or heard it expressed. Are we to rely on Trump*'s gut?
I wonder how quickly he’ll drop the Easter idea or how quick they’ll be gone?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:09 pm

McConnell will get him to shut up. Kentucky is about to burst into flames.

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:05 pm

Sweden isn't shutting down much of anything:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... carries-on

...and yet, their per-capita infection rates seem to be the same as everywhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic