Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Lester The Nightfly

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:36 pm

Nice. When Trump* was asked if he's been tested he said he hasn't because he has no symptoms but that he might do it anyway. In his opening statement he said no one should get the test unless they show symptoms. Which is is Grandpa? Perhaps a classic "Fuck you, I got mine"? The least he could have done is break out the tried and true 2nd Article loophole

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:14 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:48 pm
Don't worry...

We have Vice President Bobblehead leading the charge on preparedness efforts!

Pence probably asks Trump for permission to go potty. What a fucking empty suit...
You yourself not so long ago said this virus was no big deal. That we've had it for decades. That its just a bad strain. That the media loves to whip everyone into a frenzy. Then even a full month later you said you're now changing your opinion, but only insofar as it pertains to your personal wealth. You don't exactly have much room to be suddenly criticizing the response.
The 2nd and 3rd sentences are factually incorrect. It’s a new strain and coronavirus is a family of viruses like tree is a kind of plant or primate a kind of animal. So he was wrong from the jump on that... Other corona viruses have obviously been with us for a while. As it grows more serious and as the response doesn’t really improve all that fast the room for criticism grows wider and wider even from someone downplaying it before. Trump had a chance to get out ahead of it and look great doing it. He blew it because he’s an amateur who’s lucky as all get out to be in the big chair...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:02 pm

The comment that you should "only get tested if you show symptoms" was stupid on Trump's part.

The correct statement should be as follows: "You should get tested if you show symptoms *or* if you've had contact with someone who shows symptoms." The President, reportedly, has had contact with someone who received a positive diagnosis just three days afterward.

The national emergency declaration, the communication with major retailers and health organizations regarding supply chain coordination, and the (delayed) easing of regulatory red tape with regard to test kit development are all good things. Those are all things that needed to occur. Ideally, most of those things should've occurred two weeks ago.

I am a little frustrated, though, that one week from today - the goal is to get test kit availability up to 1.4 million. That means there will only be enough test kits by then to cover 0.4% of the population, give or take. Not exactly great progress, but at least it's progress nonetheless.

BMW raises some valid criticisms on my initial stance on the matter.

I do believe the media loves to whip the American public into a frenzy and exploits situations like this for ratings. I stand by that comment.

I severely underestimated potential disruption to the economy and to financial markets, at least in the short term. I misread those risks severely.

With regard to health risks, I did not have a full understanding back then of the fact harbingers of the COVID-19 virus in many cases can show no outward symptoms for close to two weeks yet still be contagious. That's on me; I should've done more research.

My initial commentary was largely based on an article posted on WebMD. In hindsight, that article was lacking in detail and did not do a good enough job explaining the unique characteristics and threats associated with COVID-19.

Just because my perceptions and predictions in some respects turn out to be wrong does not mean the experts in the federal government, whose job it is to ensure the nation's readiness, should be given a free pass.

I compliment Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham and others on their decision to self-isolate following their contact with a carrier of the virus. SMART DECISION.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:57 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:14 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:48 pm
Don't worry...

We have Vice President Bobblehead leading the charge on preparedness efforts!

Pence probably asks Trump for permission to go potty. What a fucking empty suit...
You yourself not so long ago said this virus was no big deal. That we've had it for decades. That its just a bad strain. That the media loves to whip everyone into a frenzy. Then even a full month later you said you're now changing your opinion, but only insofar as it pertains to your personal wealth. You don't exactly have much room to be suddenly criticizing the response.
So you single out MW who actually looked at a fluid situation and admitted he might have been wrong, but mention nothing about your comrades trollnlife and fuzzblower who stubbornly continue to make complete fools of themselves denying what is happening in front of their eyes. Makes sense...perfect Trump logic.
The censorship king from out of state.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 pm

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:07 pm

Splouge wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 pm
That's up from 5.416875682179506000854747
The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 pm

This was all prophesied years ago. Not in the Bible, but in a country music song by the Oak Ridge Boys.

Elvirus Elvirus   ♫ ♫ ♪
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:17 pm

I have a medical question that I have not seen asked or answered ANYWHERE. I've google searched it in various way and literally can't come up with a single article answering this:

Can you concurrently be infected by both the Coronavirus and the common cold or Coronavirus and the flu?

All I was able to find was a very recent article describing a study finding that it is rare to have a cold and influenza at the same time.

I ask because even right now, somewhere between 1 in 10 and 1 in 15 people in the US currently have the flu. If you could get both, that would mean that as many as 10% of people infected by Coronavirus also have the flu. And maybe it is THAT combination that causes a high fatality rate. I know there are tests for the flu. Are people who test positive for Coronavirus also being tested for flu?

Just a thought - and one that apparently not many other people have had.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:26 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:17 pm
I have a medical question that I have not seen asked or answered ANYWHERE. I've google searched it in various way and literally can't come up with a single article answering this:

Can you concurrently be infected by both the Coronavirus and the common cold or Coronavirus and the flu?

All I was able to find was a very recent article describing a study finding that it is rare to have a cold and influenza at the same time.

I ask because even right now, somewhere between 1 in 10 and 1 in 15 people in the US currently have the flu. If you could get both, that would mean that as many as 10% of people infected by Coronavirus also have the flu. And maybe it is THAT combination that causes a high fatality rate. I know there are tests for the flu. Are people who test positive for Coronavirus also being tested for flu?

Just a thought - and one that apparently not many other people have had.
Another thought on a related note... saw a guy on CNN in Georgia interviewing via stream from his Hospital room. He had both the corona virus and double pneumonia (caused by a different virus) so I’d say you can get 2 things at once. For somebody 80 years old or something that’s probably close to fatal. The problem in this country is the number of 60+ people we have... quite a lot as the population has aged.

Also maybe we should simply repeal and replace Trump:
https://youtu.be/YLi5QqxdIU4

Trump wishes he gave even half as presidential a speech.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Ohio has now closed all restaurants and bars.

Edit: So has Illinois.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:08 pm
Ohio has now closed all restaurants and bars.

Edit: So has Illinois.
Yup. I'm guessing (partly based on Fauci's 'Sunday Show' appearances) that there will be a national shutdown of everything other than pharmacies, grocery stores or other essential services in the next 48 hours for 14 days or April 1. Probably the right thing to do.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Some counties in Michigan are forcing half occupancy of restaurants.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:53 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:47 pm
Some counties in Michigan are forcing half occupancy of restaurants.
I’m guessing Les has the right of it and by mid next week various businesses will be ordered closed on a national basis.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 pm

But what metrics are being used to make these decisions? If 35 state-wide cases is the line in the sand where they say they have to close things down, then restaurants could be closed down for MANY MONTHS.

Just like Michigan. Our governor closed down all schools at a time when there were just TWO cases. How could you justify re-opening anything until the number is back down to two?

There WILL be backlash against some of the government shutting things down. This sets terrible precedent as well.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:29 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 pm
But what metrics are being used to make these decisions? If 35 state-wide cases is the line in the sand where they say they have to close things down, then restaurants could be closed down for MANY MONTHS.

Just like Michigan. Our governor closed down all schools at a time when there were just TWO cases. How could you justify re-opening anything until the number is back down to two?

There WILL be backlash against some of the government shutting things down. This sets terrible precedent as well.
For the record there were 13 Thursday night not 2.. they are probably going off the working theory that knowing about 2 or 13 or the 45 now means a ton more are infected. It seems clear that’s the approach here. They are attempting to kill the spread of it my isolating... it’s about the only tool we have for better or worse.

You are right though on this point... it’ll probably need to be extended. I think the hope that it’ll only take 3 weeks to subside is wishful thinking in a country that has a lot of folks who don’t take this seriously. Short of what Italy or China did I think resistance is futile...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic