Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
fuzzpower

Re: On a scale of 0-10, how worried are you about coronavirus?

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Still at zero concern. Media wants to scare people. The stores love it- more money!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:34 pm
Still at zero concern. Media wants to scare people. The stores love it- more money!
You really are a dope. Italy has locked down the ENTIRE COUNTRY for a month.

The censorship king from out of state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:41 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
More money when less people want to be out and the economy is tanking? If you sell cleaning supplies or something... but other kinds of retail are going to get killed.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:49 am

The question I have is just how much of the economy "tanking" is directly attributable to the media's clickbait-style of reporting on the coronavirus and how much of it is a logical reaction to the outbreak? I would posit that the media certainly isn't helping.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:29 am

I should have clarified- retail as in grocery stores, Wal Mart and Target. Other sectors are certainly hurting.

Honeyman, you are the dope with your 50 cases of hand sanitizer and toilet paper and water. Italy is overreacting on this, and also taking freedom away from the people. You are falling for the media trap, which doesn’t surprise me.

I will still live my life like I always have.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 am

LOL, just the one hand sanitizer I always have at my desk. I do have about 7 gallons on water at home and 2 in my car, but I live in Southern California and I always have that in case of an earthquake. It's called being prepared.

The media is probably over-blowing this thing, but Italy is a country of what, 50-60 million? I think the way it has spread there to force that type of reaction would give everybody some concern. But not fuzzy.

This was from Tucker Carlson on Fox News....hardly an alarmist. “It will affect your life, and by the way, it’s definitely not just the flu,” Carlson said in his opening monologue, pushing back against a comparison Trump made as recently as Monday. Referring to the outbreak as “an epidemic,” Carlson kicked off his show with a grave warning. “People you know will get sick,” he said. “Some may die. This is real.”

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Another terrible day for Italy--977 new cases, 168 new deaths. Will be several days before effects of quarantine show up.

Addressing a parliamentary group meeting of her Christian Democratic Union party in Berlin today, Chancellor Angela Merkel said up to 58 million of her countrymen could contract the fast-spreading coronavirus. When she made the announcement there was silence among other politicians at the meeting, according to reports. Merkel told her party: 'Sixty to 70 per cent of people in Germany will become infected with the coronavirus.'

hanson

Post by hanson » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:46 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:15 pm
Media is hyping this because that’s what they do. The vast majority who catch this do not die, especially in a first world country. Do some actual research and you’ll see this much less serious than Ebola or other scares.

I have not changed my life one iota since this.
Do you live an isolated life with no friends?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm

Nope. I still go to work, do my regular shopping, and see my friends. I will also travel, for work or pleasure when it comes up. Most of my friends agree with me on this. In fact, we have openly laughed at people with carts full of toilet paper. Southern California will probably run out because Honeyman bought it all.

I didn’t worry about SARS, e.coli, Ebola, West Nile, or any of these other scares. I also wasn’t afraid one bit during the Y2K scare, knowing nothing would happen.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:45 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:39 pm
Nope. I still go to work, do my regular shopping, and see my friends. I will also travel, for work or pleasure when it comes up. Most of my friends agree with me on this. In fact, we have openly laughed at people with carts full of toilet paper. Southern California will probably run out because Honeyman bought it all.

I didn’t worry about SARS, e.coli, Ebola, West Nile, or any of these other scares. I also wasn’t afraid one bit during the Y2K scare, knowing nothing would happen.
It’s exceedingly unlikely I’ll get it and even less likely it’ll be bad and even less likely I’ll die so what’s to worry?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:16 pm

Michigan has its first 2 Coronavirus cases.. 1 in Wayne and 1 in Oakland counties.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:32 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
You really are a dope. Italy has locked down the ENTIRE COUNTRY for a month.
Italy has a very old population (older than that of the US).

Among European countries, UK, Ireland, and eastern Europe seem to not be affected as much, in part due to being outside the Schengen zone.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Even the National Review knows Trump has fucked this up: "In a serious public-health crisis, the public has the right to expect the government's chief executive to lead in a number of crucial ways: by prioritizing the problem properly, by deferring to subject-matter experts when appropriate while making key decisions in informed and sensible ways, by providing honest and careful information to the country, by calming fears and setting expectations, and by addressing mistakes and setbacks.
"Trump so far hasn't passed muster on any of these metrics."

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:22 pm

It’s in my county, and I still have zero concern. The media and now the state of Michigan is the one escalating the fear. How many people died from Swine flu during that “pandemic”?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic