Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan needs to act faster to combat distracted driving "crisis"

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 4520

Michigan needs to act faster to combat distracted driving "crisis"

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 am

Mrs. Governor, how about fixing the damn roads as promised instead of this nonsense?

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/gov- ... ing-crisis

kager

Re: Michigan needs to act faster to combat distracted driving "crisis"

Post by kager » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:35 am

TheForce wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 am
Mrs. Governor, how about fixing the damn roads as promised instead of this nonsense?

How about 'in addition to'...

It ain't just kids texting away & crossing the centerline, BTW. How many times must one veer off onto the shoulder whilst an oncoming driver is busy looking down at the phone on her steering wheel or lap?!?!

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm

TheForce wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 am

Since I drive about 400 miles a day in the bus for a living I can tell you I see enough idiots to know it’s not nonsense. I’m up high enough to look down and see all kinds of ridiculous things going on in the car that’s weaving around or driving 20 under the speed limit or whatever other crazy thing is going on... it’s a good idea in addition to fixing the damn roads but it shouldn’t be ignored as nonsense...

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:41 pm

I would have no problem whatsoever with severe consequences for distracted driving. If you are literally putting other peoples' lives at risk through your own willful negligence, I have no problem with you spending some time in a jail cell.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:02 pm

No doubt it's an issue of concern, but taking focus from fixing the roads is off putting in my opinion. Roads should be her top priority over everything else.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:13 pm

"Michigan should be a leader in all things mobility-related – whether it is the roads, or the vehicles that are on our roads, or the policy that’s keeping people safe on our roads,” says Whitmer.

I don't see the beef.

While I'm not a fan of our governor, she doesn't seem to have taken her eyes off the ol' road-fixin' goal. And putting that above all else seems pretty unrealistic, if not downright simplistic.

January isn't exactly robust road-fixin' season.

I do kinda tire of the over-use of the term 'crisis' though...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm

Florida is really cracking down on distracted driving. They call it a secondary offense, which means the cops cant't stop you just for using the phone, but if you happen to be using it when they stop you for something else, they can charge you.

So, if you're driving the getaway car from a bank robbery and you see the flashing blue lights in your mirror, better put down the phone or else, in addition to the armed robbery rap, you'll also be facing a $30 fine for distracted driving.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:20 pm

The distracted driving laws are already on the books. So, tell me how already over-extended law enforcement departments are supposed to find time to enforce THESE laws to make a difference?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic