Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Interested in your response

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 12047

Interested in your response

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:42 am

Please note that this is not about politics or partisanship. Supporters of the President please give me a valid defense for these comments about a former member of Congress.
Donald Trump said it and the newspaper wrote:"She called me up and said it was the nicest thing and John would have been so pleased," Trump said, adding that Dingell said John would be happily looking down from heaven at the ceremony.

"Maybe he's looking up," Trump said, intimating that Dingell ended up in hell, instead. "I don't know. Let's assume he's looking down."

screen glare

Re: Interested in your response

Post by screen glare » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:17 am

“...valid defense...” ?
There is only one.
This president of the USA is mentally ill.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:53 am

He was making a wisecrack. Not one in the best of my taste, but it was a wisecrack.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:32 am

I watched the video. It was a joke. Nothing more, nothing less.

Remember, this was the story earlier in the year when Dingell passed:
President Donald Trump ordered Friday that flags fly at half-staff to honor former Democratic Rep. John Dingell, who died Thursday after serving the longest tenure in Congress in the country's history.

"Deepest sympathies to Congresswoman Debbie Dingell and the entire family of John Dingell. Longest serving Congressman in Country’s history which, if people understand politics, means he was very smart. A great reputation and highly respected man," Trump wrote Friday afternoon on Twitter.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/ ... ll-1160539

Also at that time:
"I was grateful for the call," Debbie Dingell said Sunday. "He was kind and empathetic, and it meant a lot to somebody who was hurting and loved her husband."
Then there was this in March:
President Donald Trump has signed into law the John D. Dingell Jr. Conservation, Management and Recreation Act.

U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, D-Dearborn, stood beside Trump during a bill signing ceremony in the Oval Office on Tuesday, March 12, along with several other members of Congress.

The new law honors her late husband, the nation’s longest-serving Congress member, who died last month at 92.

“John would have been so proud to see Democrats and Republicans come together to sign into law a landmark public lands bill to conserve and protect America’s wild plants, fish, animals, and their habitats,” Debbie Dingell wrote on Facebook. “Smiles and tears all at once.”
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/20 ... ngell.html

So in light of the respect Trump paid to the Dingell family during and shortly after his death, especially considering that Mr. Dingell took some shots at Trump in his final remarks before he died ("One of the advantages to knowing that your demise is imminent, and that reports of it will not be greatly exaggerated, is that you have a few moments to compose some parting thoughts...In our modern political age, the presidential bully pulpit seems dedicated to sowing division and denigrating, often in the most irrelevant and infantile personal terms, the political opposition"), I'm going to give Trump a pass on this.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:27 pm

I read a think-piece a few weeks back, it was some riff about how Trump* isn't funny. One of the stories was about Trump* appearing on some 'celebrity roast' and how he was given pages of professionally written jokes prior to the appearance. When Trump* arrived at the taping someone noticed all the punchlines had been blacked out with a sharpie and a number of the joke's premise had been reworked as to make the joke no longer work structurally. He tanked the work. I think they said most of his performance was left out of the finished program.

The writer concluded that the reason Trump* isn't funny is he always peppers his humor with some implied point or agenda. You're really never sure if he's making a pronouncement of sorts through his jokes. Unless those small digs and implied point-making are integral to bringing a laugh, it's just clumsy, weak humor.

In my mind, if you have to explain something as being a joke, you've told a poor joke. At the end of the day, the audience is the sole arbitrator whether of not something is funny. If your audience is left confused as to the humor, then perhaps either stop the attempt to be funny or accept that your effort will come under question and be criticized.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:16 pm

His comment would have gone completely unnoticed if folks hadn't started making a H*** deal about it. ("H-U-G-E" is a bad word?? That's whats H*** is :roll: )

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:50 pm

Lets not forget that Dingleberry himself tweeted for Trump to "go to Hell" several years ago.
He who cast the first stone...

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:50 pm
Lets not forget that Dingleberry himself tweeted for Trump to "go to Hell" several years ago.
You're sort of suggesting that Trump* is engaging in meta humor?
While that's an interesting and unique theory, I don't think Trump works the high end stuff.
Credit for thinking outside the box. Thumbs up!

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:00 am

bmw. Used to think you were blind. Now I think you’re simply insensitive. Perhaps some day you will walk in a widow or widower’s shoes. Then perhaps you’ll become more in touch with a depth of feeling that currently eludes you.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:36 pm

So Obama gets a free pass to slam the President, since Mr. Trump "cast the first stone" on the birther front.

Although, you could say that Obama brought on the wrath of Mr. Trump back in 2011... again, thou, he did not cast the first stone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHckZCxdRkA

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Trump wrath always brought on by Trump himself. Which makes him even more enraged. Narcissistic rage - classic symptom of NPD.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic