Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lawmakers consider toll roads in Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 4520

Lawmakers consider toll roads in Michigan

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 am

https://nbc25news.com/news/local/lawmak ... n-michigan

I don't see how the state can implement toll roads in Michigan. I thought it wasn't allowed on federally funded roads?? And just tolling I-94?? How does that help the rest of the states major thoroughfares?

This governor as really let me down. We were promised a comprehensive road package but that has not happened yet. I feel bamboozled.

audiophile

Re: Lawmakers consider toll roads in Michigan

Post by audiophile » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:22 am

She is a mean and nasty woman. She line-item vetoed hundred of things she later said she supports. just to have bargaining chips.

Her positions on abortion are Hitleresque, and is trying to deprive parents of medical knowledge of their minor children, and said would veto pro-life signature drives (which she can not do)/.

What a joke, she should be recalled because she does not operate in the public interest.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:58 am

I 75 around Atlanta has Express lanes that can be used only by paying a toll. Anyone who wants to avoid a toll can stay in the regular lanes.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:56 pm

No where in the piece does it give a Bill # or Rep name as a supporter of the idea. The only elected person they talked to was a new Mayor.
Sounds like sweeps month stuff.
Haven't we had this discussion before in the past?
Maybe it just points out the lack of institutional knowledge due to term limits.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 am

One reason why I-94 is so congested is that truckers use it to avoid paying tolls on Ohio and Indiana Toll Roads.

Toll lane divisions and merging are very dangerous, and slow things way down. Illinois crooks love it, as it is difficult to track coins because they don’t have serial numbers. It’s graft prone for that reason. And in some states, some toll booth attendants make over $100,000 a year. It’s hard to believe much ends up improving roads.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:12 am

When I was in Buffalo a couple months back, I ran into about 3 of them. In Michigan, the roads are obviously horrendous, everyone complains but when it comes time to "do something" it gets voted down or "OMG my taxes are going to go up". Not saying tolls are the end all to be all, but it takes money to fix things and it isn't going to rain down from the sky.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:37 am

Everyone recognizes there is a problem but nobody wants to pay for it. I don't know the answer but I do know the longer we wait the worse off everything will be. I'm not particularly a fan of tolling but at this point it seems logical...it's basically a user fee and you have a choice to use it or not use it. Gas taxes and registrations everyone pays regardless.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:00 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 am
One reason why I-94 is so congested is that truckers use it to avoid paying tolls on Ohio and Indiana Toll Roads.

Toll lane divisions and merging are very dangerous, and slow things way down. Illinois crooks love it, as it is difficult to track coins because they don’t have serial numbers. It’s graft prone for that reason. And in some states, some toll booth attendants make over $100,000 a year. It’s hard to believe much ends up improving roads.
I-80 is very expensive. I got to a toll booth in Ohio and she asked me how tall the van was. I didn't know so they charged me extra. I got home took a measuring tape to vehicle and checked the toll rates against my receipt and found I was dramatically over-charged. I called them and they said they would refund me, if I emailed them. I did, showing the entire measuring tape against the vehicle and never got a refund. What a joke.

When I went to Sandusky, OH recently, I took HWY 2, it's shorter and slower so I saved even more on fuel.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:47 pm

TheForce wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:33 am
I thought it wasn't allowed on federally funded roads??
You lose a portion or all of the federal maintenance when you put a toll on the road and you're expected to maintain it to the same standards.
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 am
Is that really true? Seems like the inconvenience of going out of your way 30-60 minutes would kill any savings

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:31 pm

I wonder how much potential Indiana Toll Road traffic uses US-12 as an alternative?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:48 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:12 am
When I was in Buffalo a couple months back, I ran into about 3 of them. In Michigan, the roads are obviously horrendous, everyone complains but when it comes time to "do something" it gets voted down or "OMG my taxes are going to go up". Not saying tolls are the end all to be all, but it takes money to fix things and it isn't going to rain down from the sky.
The problem is, the folks in Lansing won't actually commit the money to the roads. Remember Proposal 1 in 2015?
It was being peddled as a road tax. Fix the damn roads. Then when folks looked at the fine print, turns out the Proposal would give $200 million a year to schools; $116 million to transit and rail; $111 million to local governments; and a $260-million tax break to low- and moderate-income families. Passage of Proposal 1 would have triggered into law 10 bills that the Legislature passed during an all-night, lame-duck session that had nothing to do with roads.

IF Proposal 1 would of passed, it would of been over two years before a dime actually went into road repair. Everything I mentioned above would of got money before the roads did.

Same with our current Governors proposed 45 cent per gallon tax hike. Turns out someone looked at that too. It's a shell game. 40% of the tax hike would not go to roads. Instead, it would replace current transportation budget dollars that would be redirected to pay for other state government spending. In other words, pay normal MDOT operating expenses with the tax hike. Then use the money saved as seen fit elsewhere.

The voters in Michigan are seeing thru this dazzle and baffle.
Until the governor and the legislature comes up with a simple language bill or proposal that says "This money goes to roads and nowhere else", the folks in Michigan are continue to, in the words of Nancy Reagan "Just say No".

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:59 am

Audio, what does the far right's obsession with controlling women's rights have to do with roads? Most people in America don't have imaginary friends telling them what to do with the help of televangelists.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:15 am

Nothing. She is just a dnc robot, no brains or morals.

Most of us don't have imaginary neighbors with barking dogs like you do. :lol
Last edited by audiophile on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:25 am

Gretchen Whitmer plan for fixin' pot hole:

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:49 am

Months ago, I provided a comprehensive proposal for funding road repairs in Michigan.

On Friday, when I return home, I'll see if I can find that post and will share it here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic