All accepted registrations through November 23 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Impeachment

The classic Political Potpourri forum is back by popular demand! ~SEPARATE REGISTRATION IS NO LONGER NEEDED; ALL REGISTERED BUZZBOARD USERS ARE WELCOME TO POST!~ Be forwarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Honeyman

Re: Impeachment

Post by Honeyman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:56 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 am

blah, blah, blah......Maybe the whistle blower report will have something.....blah, blah blah....
The whistle blower report has something: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... l-n1058941

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am

"I was not a direct witness to most of the events described."

That is what in the legal system is known as hearsay. It is generally inadmissible.

And just who are all these unnamed officials?

I don't really see anything more in the complain that we didn't already know from the released transcript of the phone call itself.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am

btw - anybody else notice just how absolutely GIDDY the media is over this? They're literally salivating at the prospect of Trump being impeached. Nothing more than an arm of the Democrat party. Any media organization even remotely neutral and not in the tank for the left would scrutinize the whistleblower complaint for what it is - hearsay from unnamed officials. But they want Trump GONE, so they're gonna play this thing up as if it were written by God himself.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:56 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
btw - anybody else notice just how absolutely GIDDY the media is over this? They're literally salivating at the prospect of Trump being impeached. Nothing more than an arm of the Democrat party. Any media organization even remotely neutral and not in the tank for the left would scrutinize the whistleblower complaint for what it is - hearsay from unnamed officials. But they want Trump GONE, so they're gonna play this thing up as if it were written by God himself.
It’s predictable, but still disgusting. Many TV news personalities posted on their Facebook pages “‘bout time!”

The media is truly the media relations department for the Democratic Party.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:54 pm

What bothers you folks is that most news reporters and editors believe in a free press. Not all. Most.

And so that patriotic, constitutional belief seems to put them at odds with an overtly lawless, unpatriotic president.

Of course - the White House press corps should have an adversarial relationship with the US government. Especially the president.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:11 pm

screen glare wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:54 pm
What bothers you folks is that most news reporters and editors believe in a free press. Not all. Most.

And so that patriotic, constitutional belief seems to put them at odds with an overtly lawless, unpatriotic president.

Of course - the White House press corps should have an adversarial relationship with the US government. Especially the president.
Journalists who identify as democrats outnumber those who identify as republican 4 to 1. You think that sways what gets covered and how it gets covered? You betcha, Skippy!

Journalists give liberal politicians, cops, and Catholic priests a free pass. Don’t believe me? When was the last time you saw an in-depth look into any of these? NEVER!

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Actually both you and I and all who read, watch, listen to news - have over the years seen many, many stories about politicians, police officers, Roman Catholic priests and every topic you can think of that is newsworthy.

Newsworthy largely means a SHIFT in non-harmful SOP of: systems, organizations, government, finance/Wall Street, corporations, transportation, education, science, medicine, religion, security/prisons, artistic endeavors, military, rehabilitation, manufacturing, farming, persons, families, international relations, immigration, sports, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. Particularly when injury, death, or threat of such is involved.

hanson

Post by hanson » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 am

That is what in the legal system is known as hearsay. It is generally inadmissible.
impeachment is not held to criminal evidence standards

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:48 pm

In fact a crime need not have been committed to impeach.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Rather than Mike Pence automatically becoming president or him quitting and making plastic Pelosi president, let’s have a special erection, er, election and being in President Poontang! Now that’s a candidate I can really, uh, GET BEHIND!!!

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:21 pm

Nobody more plastic than Pence. Stiff. Robotic. Plastic facial expressions. I believe he daily exhibits two. Fake Adoration. And - The Enigma.

Only Mother knows his frisky face. And perhaps their pet rabbit.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:04 am

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:56 am
Matt wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 am

blah, blah, blah......Maybe the whistle blower report will have something.....blah, blah blah....
The whistle blower report has something: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... l-n1058941
Did I miss something? All it says is the White House locked it down on a separate server. I'm sure every move Trump makes is made 1000 times bigger because he is hated so much, uses no filter, and is an outsider. They probably take some precautions to avoid the shitstorm that could arise over some of the things Trump says/does. If there were edits made to the transcript where he was threatening towards the Ukraine President that were left out, that's one thing. I know all the media, liberals, and all the Trump haters are currently masturbating all over themselves towards the thought of "finally got something on the son of a bitch". Anyways you fellas keep your circle jerk going.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:49 am

"I was not a direct witness to most of the events described."

And just who are all these unnamed officials?
My thoughts precisely.

That said, the transcript has been released, and of course, a transcript is NOT "hearsay."

I have a couple thoughts:

- Just because Joe Biden is running for elected office does NOT entitle him to automatic immunity from prosecution or investigation. Just as Trump is not above the law, neither is Biden. There is enough smoke to suggest Biden may have acted improperly. As such, I have no issue in principle with Trump asking Ukraine to "look into it."

- What I *do* have a potential issue with is Rudy Giuliani's involvement in foreign affairs. Is he receiving classified information? Is he using authority not bestowed to him by the Constitution and federal law? Is he acting as a de facto cabinet official? (If so, he cannot do that! Cabinet heads need to be confirmed by the Senate.) Those who represent the U.S. overseas are supposed to conduct business in the best interest of the country; I do not see how someone who is the "President's personal attorney" can fulfill that function without there being a conflict of interest.

I do think there is a 75% chance Trump will be impeached. However, I think there is a 5% chance he will be removed from office. An absolute bombshell would have to be revealed to get Republicans in the Senate to vote in favor of conviction.

Fire Blashill!!!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:30 am

Good points MW. The president is also the law-enforcement executive. Giuliani is gray area, as the president has the right to consult with his attorney.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:08 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic