Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Loss Of A Living Legend; Cokie Roberts

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

The Loss Of A Living Legend; Cokie Roberts

Post by Bryce » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:53 pm

Legendary journalist and political commentator Cokie Roberts dies at 75
I have many fond memories of a true professional. She was excellent at keeping journalism and commentary separate. Today's crop pale in comparison.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Re: The Loss Of A Living Legend; Cokie Roberts

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:45 pm

In my humblest of opinions, Robert's best work was done when she was with NPR. After she moved over to ABC, not so much. None the less, she had a good run.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:04 pm

I also think Cokie's father, Hale Boggs, was a man of principle. One theory is that he lost his life in a plane crash because he had been on the Warren Commission and he knew too much about the Kennedy Assassination. He didn't believe the single bullet theory, and probably with good reason. He was in a plane with Nick Begich, Sr. when they apparently crashed. Many suspect that the FBI suspected that Hale Boggs was sharing Warren Commission information with Nick Begich.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:53 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:17 pm
You should have thought about your title more.

While she was alive, she was a living legend. Not now.
You should have read it a bit more carefully. Miss the word LOSS did ya?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:45 pm
In my humblest of opinions, Robert's best work was done when she was with NPR. After she moved over to ABC, not so much. None the less, she had a good run.
Your "humblest of opinion" of her NPR work makes me wish I was familiar with her work there. Being as I am, as TC Talks would say, a unedUKated country boy, I just didn't listen to much NPR. Always thought that was for the high brow folks.

But, in MY humble opinion, her work opposite Sam Donaldson was spectacular. Debate without hate. Disagreements without screaming and yelling. It made much of what we see today look like WWE.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:52 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:02 pm
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:45 pm
Your "humblest of opinion" of her NPR work makes me wish I was familiar with her work there. Being as I am, as TC Talks would say, a unedUKated country boy, I just didn't listen to much NPR. Always thought that was for the high brow folks.

But, in MY humble opinion, her work opposite Sam Donaldson was spectacular. Debate without hate. Disagreements without screaming and yelling. It made much of what we see today look like WWE.
Seeing the mention of NPR made me think of something that I've been meaning to mention here.

A co-worker of mine believes there's a boogeyman behind everything. The sky is blue? Perpetrated by the government and a passage in the bible. We have to go to another jobsite? It's because the boss is fucking someone and we have to go do it instead of them. Wash, rinse, repeat.

But one of my favorites is that "The Koch brothers own and fund NPR". I damn near shot Pepsi out of my nose. For real? I'm pretty sure NPR and the Koch brothers are like oil and water. Of course, he puts it on just so he can poke holes in all the stories. Of course, finding any website that tells him what he wants to hear while in a marijuana-induced state works for him.

Monday I'm sure I'll hear a conspiracy theory on why grass is green and dirt is brown. Probably has something to do with Hebrews from 6,000 years ago.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic