Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The state of journalism today

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

The state of journalism today

Post by bmw » Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 am

I'm rather depressed at the state of journalism today. Ever since Trump has become President, it seems that many media outlets have made it their sole mission to take him down at any cost, and in response to that, the center-right media has made it their mission to defend Trump at any cost. Where can you find honest, objective reporting on the Trump presidency today whereby the media outlet doing the reporting has no interest in making Trump look either good or bad? I sure can't find any. I think CBS tries, but even their left-leaning bias come through from time to time.

On a side note, this obsession that BOTH SIDES have with the Mueller report is unhealthy for our country. I quite frankly am sick of hearing about it, including both the left using it to try to take down Trump as well as the right being hyper-defensive about Trump's actions. We have an election barely a year and a half away - how about we let THAT decide whether Trump is fit to serve as President. I consider myself a political junkie, but even I have found myself tuning out a lot lately.

ZenithCKLW

Re: The state of journalism today

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu May 02, 2019 10:10 am

I think we need more people who think and feel like you currently do. The squabble between Trump and the media is beneficial to both Trump and the media. If people tune out and don't react so impulsively and dramatically, and use more critical thinking to evaluate what's actually happening, I think we will be in better shape.

Also, I think as a society, we're having to come to terms with what it means to be liberal vs. democrat, left vs. right, democrat vs. republican in the Trump era of 2019. This isn't 1980 anymore, and I don't believe there is much precedent for how to reconcile differences between party loyalty, personal values, and political ideals and objectives. So one person who is a firm republican will defend Trump and the party, but when he lies or makes or a sexist comment or whatever condemnable action, what might normally offend the good republican citizen is defended because Trump's "their guy." Replace Trump's name with any Democrat who behaves poorly; it doesn't matter which side, because I don't believe the traditional left vs. right in American politics even exists anymore. It's old vs. young, rich vs. poor, minorities vs. majority, economy vs. environment, etc. which don't seem to fall along party lines.

Back on topic, I think the squabble between Trump and the media is intentional - meant to confuse and manipulate us into repeatedly turning to each of our saviors (Trump or the media, whichever side you're on) for guidance, refueling the fire.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 02, 2019 11:50 am

I admittedly lean to the right politically, and I also think the left is making much ado about nothing on this issue, but the people on the right in the media are just as obsessed about this as the people on the left. They're doing it to keep the witch hunt narrative alive and well just as the left is doing it to keep the obstruction narrative alive. Bottom line is both sides have narratives on which they rely to keep an audience. I'm just ready for some honest, objective reporting and it is hard to find that when everyone has their own agenda as opposed to the agenda simply being to inform the general public as to what its government is doing.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:37 pm

I have tuned out of the news and I feel a lot better for it. I just couldn't take all the badgering on the President and other political things. That seems to be all the news outlets do these days. And all these cable news channels are just fanning the flames putting their own spin on things catering to which ever audience they are geared towards. Reporting down the middle and not showing bias are things of the past.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri May 03, 2019 8:13 am

bmw - your “ever since Trump has become president” qualifier says it all.

When the leader is mentally ill - of any organization - from family to business to non-profit to school to military to government, etc. - the entire organization eventually becomes symptomatic of his/her illness.

Everyone is reeling from his/her daily edicts, decisions, behaviors, ideas, words, tendencies, patterns, reactions - that do not make sense. Everyone is struggling to understand, and follow - applying usual norms and reliable standards in which the mentally healthy majority continues to function, while desperately struggling to follow.

However - as time passes - the organization falters. Because the people trying to follow the lead of the mentally ill leader begin to falter themselves under the weight of extreme duress caused by the daily incongruency.

It will get much worse. Stay tuned.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 03, 2019 9:25 am

SG - which media organization has reported that they believe Trump is mentally ill? I'm not aware of any. I believe your analysis is WAY off on what is driving their behavior - I'm sure some journalists/pundits/whatever you want to call them believe he has some sort of mental illness, but that is not what is driving their behavior. It is two things - one, that he beat their anointed one Hillary Clinton, thus making them look like a bunch of know-nothing idiots, and two, that Mueller didn't find collusion or obstruction, once again making them look like a bunch of know-nothing idiots.

They're also being driven somewhat by trying to maintain readers/viewers. 40 percent of the general population has the mental illness known as Trump Derangement Syndrome, and so the media is catering to these people.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:15 pm

A Detroit journalist once told me, 'whenever I interview someone about politics, I want them to think I support the other side." BTW, I have no idea what this reporter's politics are.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sat May 04, 2019 1:14 am

bmw - nice try. You are hopeless. Remain in fantasy land. It’s amusing, no doubt.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 04, 2019 11:37 am

screen glare wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:14 am
bmw - nice try. You are hopeless. Remain in fantasy land. It’s amusing, no doubt.
You dodged my question. I asked you specifically which media organization has explicitly reported that Trump is mentally ill.

I'll wait.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun May 05, 2019 10:39 am

The key word
Last edited by screen glare on Sun May 05, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun May 05, 2019 4:28 pm

The key word, bmw is “explicit”. They can’t state that Trump is mentally ill via diagnosis because he refuses to submit to an actual battery of tests and observations by MDs who specialize in mental illness. So all the media fall back on reporting their OBSERVATIONS of his mad behaviors and words. Which are symptoms of Narcissistic Personality DISORDER (NPD).

They regularly report on his behaviors and statements using terms and phrases such as: unstable, erratic, non-sensical, self-contradictory, incoherent, consumed, fits of rage, enraged, speaking thousands of lies, not normal, driven to respond to the most minor slight, must ALWAYS have open conflict with someone, a cowardly bully, bullying, attracted to dictators and other strong men, boot licks world leaders who are enemies of the USA, physically shoves allies, verbally insults allies, must be the constant center of attention, has no empathy, has no loyalty but expects loyalty from others, denigrates US war heroes and their families, seething with hatred, envy, etc., unleashes Tweetstorms, a well-known cheater lacking guilt regarding money, human relationships, US enemy election assistance, golf, etc., distorts visual evidence, is undeservingly self aggrandizing, unable to sincerely apologize, unable to accept blame when his things go wrong, thin-skinned, sadistic, enjoys the pain of others, relishes the pain of children, does not like animals, is vain about appearance of himself and others, is selfish, thrives on division and chaos, endless bragging about himself, the world perceives his symptomatic words and behaviors as those of “a baby”.

Of course there are many other terms and phrases describing observed symptoms of his NPD - but this list ought to set your nitpicking and what-aboutism tendency into motion. Which will not EVER change the fact that the current president of The United States of America is mentally ill with a mental disorder that makes him unfit to serve.

I was heartened to see that after more than two years of pointing out Trump’s illness on this board and more recently listing the DSM-5 description of NPD and its symptoms - attorney George Conway stated same and also refers to same DSM-5 list of symptoms.

Also a professional group of mental health experts has more than once sounded the alarm about Trump’s mental illness and you can read the compilation of all their educated opinions in a book that’s been published. They thought their duty to warn over rode the so called Goldwater rule.

Weeks ago there was another story about several mental health experts affiliated with prestigious universities warning of what they see as further mental deterioration of Trump.
Last edited by screen glare on Thu May 09, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu May 09, 2019 6:10 pm

The above list of terms are used by observers to describe Trump’s patterns of behavior and speech which are NPD-driven symptoms. By now they are easily spotted and predictable.

Do you understand, bmw?

I’ll wait.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic