Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer transition member violated campaign finance laws on her behalf

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Whitmer transition member violated campaign finance laws on her behalf

Post by Matt » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Investigation? I'm sure all the lefties will be in favor...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 375061002/

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 14803

Re: Whitmer transition member violated campaign finance laws on her behalf

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Whitmer will for sure screw up Michigan, wait we are about to get higher registration fees and higher property tax, just to fix the damn roads because the gas tax is not enough.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 am

Much ado about nothing. Go ahead and investigate.. and just wondering, do you NOT want the roads fixed?
we are about to get higher registration fees and higher property tax, just to fix the damn roads because the gas tax is not enough.
How do you suggest paying to fix them?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:45 am

Radio Sucks wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 am
How do you suggest paying to fix them?
Apparently by ignoring the roads for another 40 years to "reduce taxes", claim that as a valid strategy ("see, look at how much we reduced taxes! Oh, ignore that crumbling bridge.) and defer increasing maintenance needs to the next generation to pay for.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:08 pm

The gas tax to fix roads just isn't enough.Over the years cars have gotten more efficient so each car on average is paying less in gas taxes per mile driven . And while more cars buying gas may increase the dollar amount it's also more cars driving more miles on the roads and paying less per mile because of fuel efficiency.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:28 am

wait we are about to get higher registration fees...
You mean just like Snyder?

Not only did my vehicle registration fees increase during his term, but so did hunting & fishing license fees. My auto insurance went up by about $150 a year, too.
...and higher property tax, just to fix the damn roads because the gas tax is not enough.
Property taxes are not used in Michigan for road funding, at least not at the state level. Coincidentally, I'd be fully in favor of cities & counties raising property taxes for the sole purpose of improving funding for LOCAL roads, so long as such proposals are put before voters in the affected communities.

Here is a useful article on road funding in Michigan:
https://www.mackinac.org/25863

Gasoline prices are much lower than they were five years ago. To further augment state funding, I would not be opposed to raising the gas tax another dime per gallon. Most people don't even flinch when gasoline prices change by a dime per gallon!

Such legislation can be written in a way that contains an expiration date. Meaning, the tax will go away after a certain number of years if it is not renewed by the legislature.

Or, we could always just leave our urban roads in a state of decay so that instead of paying an extra $100 per year in taxes we instead pay for front-end realignments, new shocks, new rims, etc.

There is little question in my mind that our shitty roads shorten the average useful lives of our vehicles, too.

As I've been saying here for a couple years, if not longer, a comprehensive restructure of road funding in this state should be coupled with legislation that reforms & reduces auto insurance rates. It would be a win-win for those of us who actually choose to follow the law by paying for auto insurance. More income would remain in our pockets, roads with time would become noticeably better maintain, and we'd have to bring our cars to the repair garage less often!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic